Honda Civic Racing: Drift/Drag/AutoX/Time Attack There are different setups needed if you are using your civic for drifting, drag or track racing

when racing

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
detroittosag has a little shameless behaviour in the past
when racing

hey when racing, do most people shift regular meaning they take their foot off the gas and press the clutch?? or do u hold your gas, then press the clutch at the same time to shift the gears???
Old 05-31-2004

JetBlu01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by detroittosag
or do u hold your gas, then press the clutch at the same time to shift the gears???
do it and see how long your clutch last
Old 05-31-2004
Wicked Pissah Admin
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Havok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant future
Welcome to powershifting....
Old 06-01-2004
Premium Boosted Member

MadWheel will become famous soon enoughMadWheel will become famous soon enough
it wont make much of a difference in our cars.

it'll do more damage to your clutch though. I "granny shift". Let off, clutch in, switch gears, clutch out... all takes less than a sec though, that I know...
Old 06-01-2004
Wicked Pissah Admin

Havok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant future
Have you ever driven in a civic that is powershifted? You can take over .2 of a sec off your 1/4 mile time.... Sure it wears the clutch, but in a straight line it's one of the differences between a good driver and a fast driver....

Just my $0.02
Old 06-01-2004
SMX
Registered!!

SMX is on a distinguished road
It ain't worth abusing your clutch to squeeze 0.2 out of a 16 second car.

My 2 cents
Old 06-01-2004
Registered!!

Entropy is an unknown quantity at this point
well, the .2 seconds could turn you into a 15 second car
Old 06-01-2004
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
Originally Posted by Entropy
well, the .2 seconds could turn you into a 15 second car
The clutch is not what you have to worry about. Its the syncros in the tranny that will go out first. Powershifting puts too much strain on them.
Not woth the tranny rebuild for the .2 seconds
Old 06-01-2004
Registered!!

Entropy is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm not saying I'd do it, I'm just stating how someone else might rationalize it.
Old 06-01-2004
Registered!!

00celicagts6spd is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Havok2k1
Have you ever driven in a civic that is powershifted? You can take over .2 of a sec off your 1/4 mile time.... Sure it wears the clutch, but in a straight line it's one of the differences between a good driver and a fast driver....

Just my $0.02
please explain how you came to this conclusion???

I would advise against it. you WONT save that much time AND it will more then likely slow you down until you get real good at it.

I'd like to consider my driving a little above average (refer to sig) and I have NEVER power shifted. thats my .02
Old 06-01-2004
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
yeah, 1st off, the Civic tranny isnt exactly the best reacting trans in the world. So even if a person is a decent driver, the time when the gas is pressed in between shifts, the engine will still rev up some more, THEN the engine and trans wil take more time to match each others speeds.
Old 06-01-2004
SMX
Registered!!

I race with a guy who powershifts his domestic. He rebuilds his tranny at least once a year. He's a competitive bracket racer and took years to learn to do it right, but it beats the heck out of his car.

His car wouldn't get out of first on Monday and he didn't get to race...
Old 06-01-2004
Premium Boosted Member

MadWheel will become famous soon enoughMadWheel will become famous soon enough
I race my civic all the time. Maybe I powershifted wrong but I never noticed a difference in upshifting. I dunno, regular shifting works for me.
Old 06-01-2004
xam
snooty patooty partier

xam has a spectacular aura aboutxam has a spectacular aura aboutxam has a spectacular aura about
i goto ask, wtf is double clutching and how do u do that?
Old 06-01-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Lol. Go watch that movie again and learn about it. Actually, it's something big rigs do when driving, not cars. Dominic just made it up.
Old 06-01-2004
Registered!!

CRNewson is an unknown quantity at this point
Double clutching, a good question, I actually looked this one up a little while back...

Originally posted by gearbox
Lol. Go watch that movie again and learn about it. Actually, it's something big rigs do when driving, not cars. Dominic just made it up.
This is right, kindof. Currently, big rigs still must double clutch. Double clutching is clutch in - neutral - clutch out - clutch in - select desired gear - clutch out. It was used in all cars until the invention of synchronizers, in addition, it was used in racing type transmissions until several years later for this very reason. The synchros went out frequently when they were first introduced, especially under hard driving conditions (drag racing). Now, so people don't chew me out too bad, we're talking 40's and 50's type stuff here. Large trucks have a similar problem, with their massive amounts of torque, they risk stripping gears if the synchros fail.

Sorry for the history lesson. Long story short, there is no need to double clutch in a modern vehicle (semis excluded, of course)
Old 06-01-2004
Wicked Pissah Admin

Originally Posted by 00celicagts6spd
please explain how you came to this conclusion???

I'd like to consider my driving a little above average (refer to sig) TELLS ME NOTHING and I have NEVER power shifted. thats my .02

I came to the conclusion based off of my track experiences over the past 10 years. I've gained over 0.2 of a second when powershifting my 11.88 mustang versus granny shifting (same shift points, same day + air temp + humid, 60 foot within .05sec)...

I've also seen my friends car run 11.2 granny and 10.9 powershifting on the same night with the same traction...

Powershifting is the best way to get the most out the car... Drive in one that has the driver doing it right and you'll be able to tell the difference...

From LS1.com:

Question 1-10: What is powershifting?

Answer: Powershifting is when you leave the gas pedal all the way to the floor and quickly move the shifter and work the clutch while racing. This allows a continuous application of power with no lag, and is typically good for a tenth or two improvement in the quarter mile times.

From Mustang5.0 magazine:

Shifting your Stang with the gas pedal planted to the firewall
will give you a solid .15-.20 advantage over shifting while lifting off the throttle

I've also seen posts on Subby, Evo, Supra, ZO6 forums as well...

Notice I said nothing about the lifespan of the clutch or transmission.... Obvioulsy it's not the best idea for stock 16 sec cars....
Old 06-01-2004
Registered!!

in a car like the civic you wont gain .2

I'm not about to get into a pissing contest with you cause its stupid. no matter how many sites you quote or how many claims you make doesnt matter. unless you've got some crazy setup and pushing a lot of boost theres no need to even bother in a civic period. If you're that serious about racing the civic just gut the stupid thing and shave a few tenths
Old 06-02-2004
SMX
Registered!!

Havok is right. For a seriously raced manual, powershifting is the way to go and can shave time. It's quicker, but more importantly, more consistent (critical for bracket racing). But when I say seriously raced, I mean cars running 12s or below. If you aren't running those times, there are other things you need to do to your car first.

I wouldn't bother in a streetable civic.
Old 06-02-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by SMX
I wouldn't bother in a streetable civic.
Old 06-02-2004
E36 M3 Driver.

jonnyg is an unknown quantity at this point
you're def. gonna get mad wheelspin if you powershift and remember kiddies chirping = slower times