Honda Civic Racing: Drift/Drag/AutoX/Time Attack There are different setups needed if you are using your civic for drifting, drag or track racing

Raced with a Protoge 5

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RipCurl is an unknown quantity at this point
Raced with a Protoge 5

I just started in participating in our Local SCCA Solo II chapter with my new 04 Civic EX. Just getting in to racing ( though I wish to this day that I kept my '91 CRX SI as i used to race that little bugger all over the place).

The track average we had this weekend was 62 seconds.
Maybe because its a "brand new" car and IM still wary of driving it hard, so I averaged 70 seconds on the course.

So I had my good friend (mazda fan) drive it, and he ws able to get it to do 66 seconds, since he's more experience in SCCA meets than I am (its my second month, participating, and this would make me owning my car a little more than a month and a half ). So, with him driving my car, i could feel exactly what I was afraid to do. Then again, I went to the my first SCCA meet when i had 602 miles (as I rolled into the track, I just broke the 600 breakin point, and raced with paper plates...hehe)

Well, I drove his Mazda Protoge 5. I tore up the course in his car. I did a 66 on the first run and on my second run through, I did better than him, doing a 59 second. He got a 58 but hit a cone along the way ( 8 point penalty)

Though, I gotta say that I was more confident in his car than in mine (maybe becaues I knew it wasn't my car). That car handles so well. I noticed that suspension on my car "rocks" more than the Protoge 5, being that the 5's suspension is a lot stiffer ( he runs stock, i run stock).

So, all I gotta say is Im never gonna put down his car again; I used to tease him and his fascnination about hatchbacks (he owned a ford focus hatchback ) but now, Im not gonna.

So, now just to make me drive my car like i drove his.....gotta work on that. Eh, just making no sense....
Old 12-23-2003
Men, chocolate, and coffee are all better rich.

samcanadian is a splendid one to beholdsamcanadian is a splendid one to beholdsamcanadian is a splendid one to beholdsamcanadian is a splendid one to beholdsamcanadian is a splendid one to beholdsamcanadian is a splendid one to beholdsamcanadian is a splendid one to beholdsamcanadian is a splendid one to beholdsamcanadian is a splendid one to behold
Neat...I've always wanted to drive a Protegé...they're kinda neat looking little cars.
Old 12-23-2003
Men, chocolate, and coffee are all better rich.

samcanadian is a splendid one to beholdsamcanadian is a splendid one to beholdsamcanadian is a splendid one to beholdsamcanadian is a splendid one to beholdsamcanadian is a splendid one to beholdsamcanadian is a splendid one to beholdsamcanadian is a splendid one to beholdsamcanadian is a splendid one to beholdsamcanadian is a splendid one to behold
Neat Neat Neat...There
Old 12-23-2003
I can resist everything except temptation.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

ffokuf is a jewel in the roughffokuf is a jewel in the roughffokuf is a jewel in the rough
They are fun cars to drive, but i wouldnt give up my civic for one.
Old 12-23-2003
Registered!!

I wouldn't either...maybe for an Acura TL/TSX , but not for a mazda ^_~. But it handles so sweetly.
Old 12-23-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
protges have allways been good chassis for autocross, and they use to be class winners...... untill the mini showed up in HS...

Keep with it, your car can handle just as well. you just need to learn to drive with its querks. also, pick up a set of koni inserts, they are legal for Stock and will greatly inhance handling.
Old 12-23-2003
Registered!!

Koni inserts? got a website for those?
A mini cooper competed in my category (HS) and he did a 58 easily. (damn small vehicles) I love the mini anyway, just cause they are cute.

there are two other Mini's that compete, both are in the FSP category. They rip thrugh the course as well.
Old 12-25-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
the koni shocks that are avalible for our cars are inserts for the front struts. there are lots of sites that have them for sale, Tornactive is one.
Old 12-25-2003
Registered!!

98GSR-EPT is an unknown quantity at this point
Civics aren't made for racing. Cut it out.
Old 12-25-2003
Autocross Junky

^^^ eh????^^^ since when?

currently the best car for my class is an 89 Civic Si, and its beating Subaru 2.5 rs, Ingetgra GSRs, and a multitude of other "Faster" cars.

so who said civics arnt for racing?

oh ya, I came in first in my class in my region this year. beating eclipes, integras, subies,.....ect....
Old 12-26-2003
Registered!!

congrats, and btw, a 1989 CIVIC CRX SI came in first constantly for a while is his class (FSP), no mods to it, but just the front passenger seat taken out. Damn, he lost his lead when a MINI COOPER S came into his class.
Old 12-26-2003
Registered!!

Civics still aren't for racing. They weren't built for it. I never said no Civics are out there racing, but they shouldn't be. I beleive only cars that were built to race should be out on the track. Such as some Acuras, BMW, Porsche, Ferrari ect... Please leave the Civics out of it.
Old 12-26-2003
Registered!!

macrossranma is an unknown quantity at this point
since when did acuras made a production race car?i dunno much about bmw porsche and ferrari, but is that mean if ppl are not rich enough to get an expensive race car, they should never race?
Old 12-26-2003
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
Originally posted by 98GSR-EPT
Civics still aren't for racing. They weren't built for it. I never said no Civics are out there racing, but they shouldn't be. I beleive only cars that were built to race should be out on the track. Such as some Acuras, BMW, Porsche, Ferrari ect... Please leave the Civics out of it.

I wont even start.
Welcome to 7thgen.
Old 12-26-2003
Registered!!

would you give me a fsking break? just because civics aren't race cars, you're saying they shouldn't be raced? Heres a big "F YOU" to you. God, damn the arrogance you wreek of.

Excuse me, but the CRX Si was a race car, and its a fscking Civic.

I guess you'd hate to see a civic own your @$$ on the race track huh? I've seen civics do 13's on a quarter mile and can handle SCCA tracks a whole lot better than some Cammaros and Mustangs. Its all on the driver and what you can do with the car.

I have a friend who freaking races a Volvo. Its a four door family wagon car, and he owns some of the more sportier cars on track and at the quarter mile. And that wouldn't be considered a race car ( hell, all volvos rank in that category).

Sheesh, some people have the nerve.
Some of us can't afford a Personal car and a race car. My civic is my everyday car and my fun car. I aint gonna shed another $10,000 just on a car to race.

If you got the money, do what with it as you please, but dont tell US what we can or can't do with our cars and our money. Civics can race, if you want to and none of your arrogant crap will deter the civic owners from doing so. SO ACCEPT that civics are used to race with, so thye are race cars.
Old 12-26-2003
Autocross Junky

Name one Acura in the US market that is sold as a race car
Name one BMW in the US market that is sold as a race car
the only Porsche in the us that could be considered a "Race car" is the GTs and they still need alot done to them to be track cars.

Basically there isnt a singe car sold in the US that could be considered a race car off the lot. Some come close, but None actually are. They are all tuned for the street.

so what if a civic wasnt designed for racing, no production car was. Example.. Corvette Z06, wonderfull car, but its not built for racing. Bmw M3, onec again a great car, but it also was not built for the track. Both of these exceptionally performing cars would need work to be total track cars (the suspension would change and the chassis would be extensivly reinforced)

SO if only cars built for racing should be racing then only Fourmula cars would be at the tracks.
Like this Formula Ford car.
Old 12-26-2003
Autocross Junky

Originally posted by RipCurl
congrats, and btw, a 1989 CIVIC CRX SI came in first constantly for a while is his class (FSP), no mods to it, but just the front passenger seat taken out. Damn, he lost his lead when a MINI COOPER S came into his class.

Damn Minis......

CRXs are pretty good. the 88 is the better one though. It has the same rear suspension as the Type R integra, so it was a bit *** happy. which is great for the track and autocross, but for the Average joe driver...... well alot of them left the roads going backwards. so honda got sued and they changed the rear suspension..... making the 89 CRX understeer like crazy. oh well.
Old 12-26-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by Zzyzx
Damn Minis......

CRXs are pretty good. the 88 is the better one though. It has the same rear suspension as the Type R integra, so it was a bit *** happy. which is great for the track and autocross, but for the Average joe driver...... well alot of them left the roads going backwards. so honda got sued and they changed the rear suspension..... making the 89 CRX understeer like crazy. oh well.
Funny, i never had that problem in my 1991 CRX SI and I ran with street tires ( protenzas at 39 psi in each tire ). Loved the feel of the CRX but to this day, i could kick myself for selling it.

damn...

Yeah mini's. Love them, but god they can ruin your day at the track.
Old 12-26-2003
Autocross Junky

Im not saying that the later CRX Si were poorly handling cars, but the 89 Si was Very *** happy in compairson.

Thats one of the 2 cars I plan on getting next. either an 89 CRX Si or a Miata.
Old 12-27-2003
Registered!!

Name one Acura in the US market that is sold as a race car
Name one BMW in the US market that is sold as a race car
the only Porsche in the us that could be considered a "Race car" is the GTs and they still need alot done to them to be track cars.

Basically there isnt a singe car sold in the US that could be considered a race car off the lot. Some come close, but None actually are. They are all tuned for the street.

so what if a civic wasnt designed for racing, no production car was. Example.. Corvette Z06, wonderfull car, but its not built for racing. Bmw M3, onec again a great car, but it also was not built for the track. Both of these exceptionally performing cars would need work to be total track cars (the suspension would change and the chassis would be extensivly reinforced)

SO if only cars built for racing should be racing then only Fourmula cars would be at the tracks.
Like this Formula Ford car.

Someone just said that the CRX Si was a race car so I guess you could pretty much concider anything a race car.

What I mean by 'Race Car' is a car that was built with racing influence. A Car that was built as a daily driver but is also meant for the track. If you'd like me to list those cars, I'd be more than happy... From the car brands I named earlier...

Acura - Integra Type-R, Integra GSR, RSX Type-S, NSX
BMW - M3, M5, M6, 330ci, M Coupe, M roadster, Z4 ect.
Porsche - Almost all
Ferrari - All

Also about the suspension on an M3... The E36 M3's suspension was actually changed after 1995 because dumb asses who didn't know their car was built for racing complained that the suspension was too stiff.... From 1996 to 1999 the M3's suspension was weak and soft.
Old 12-27-2003
Autocross Junky

ya know, it kind of sounds like you don't like the Idea that I out run GSRs and other such "Race cars" on the track with my "slow Civic".
Old 12-27-2003
Registered!!

ZZyzx, that's all it is. He's afraid some joker in a civic will own his @$$. That's the only reason he makes such stupid comments.

As far as my comment goes about racing, CRX was used to race in Japan as well ast through out europe. CIVICS ARE RACED IN JAPAN.

Hell give a car to any european guy and they'll find a reason and a way to race them. Could be a shitty beat up pinto and they'll race it.

So dont give us "civics aren't race cars" crap. Civics are raced anywhere, in any country at any time. Go to Japan one day. You surely need an eye opener.

So you gonna explain to me why its alright to race a Volvo family wagon than it is to race a civic? I mentioned that yet no comment from you about that.

Last edited by RipCurl; 12-27-2003 at 05:17 AM.
Old 12-27-2003
Registered!!

RiceRiley is an unknown quantity at this point
Any car could b used to race. Maybe there r no cars that were made for racing but any car can b made to race once bought and worked on. No need to b hatin on those of us that want to race our civics. The fun is building a car that can woop some @$$
Old 12-27-2003
Autocross Junky

Volvo use to be very much in to racing.... Rally racing to be exact (like WRC). and they were good at it too.
Old 12-27-2003
Registered!!

Volvo use to be very much in to racing.... Rally racing to be exact (like WRC). and they were good at it too.
Hehe, used to is a good word for them. The one my friend drives reminds me of what soccer moms would drive; back in the 80's.
Old 12-27-2003
Registered!!

ya know, it kind of sounds like you don't like the Idea that I out run GSRs and other such "Race cars" on the track with my "slow Civic".
I don't mind. I'm sure you would whoop my *** on a track. Your Civic is modded, right?
I never said Civics were slow. I just said they weren't built for racing.
What mods to you have?
Old 12-29-2003
Autocross Junky

eh, its mildly modded. not nearly preped enough for my class (I run STS in SCCA autocross). but its fun.

Its interesting that you mentioned the RSX as a race bread car... cause the Civic chassis and the RSX chassis are the same. the only difference between the 2 are the body thats welded to that chassis and the engine. so essentially a civic with the RSX engine would be more sutied to racing then the RSX would be.... Same engine, and it would be about 300 LBS lighter.... now that would be fun!
Old 12-29-2003
Registered!!

Anotherslo1 is an unknown quantity at this point
so essentially a civic with the RSX engine would be more sutied to racing then the RSX would be.... Same engine, and it would be about 300 LBS lighter.... now that would be fun!
^^^^^ I agree. I'm taking names!!!!
Old 12-29-2003
Autocross Junky

For the best performance, you'd want to use the lightes civic... like an HX with no options......