Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

my car got keyed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wanger is an unknown quantity at this point
my car got keyed!

well my car got keyed pretty badly right outside of my apartment [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG] just wanted to ask if i should claim insurance for it, because i reported it to my local police department and they gave me a case number to give to my insurance company.... i have a $500 deductable, so if the repairs are less than $500 then i was thinking of not claiming at all. the scratch is pretty deep, i have a black car and the scratch is white so i know it's through the paint. its all the way on the front of my passenger door to the back at the end of my rear passenger window, it's VERY fugly.

anyways just wanted some input from you guys about the insurance thing.

thanks for listening.
Old 02-01-2003
Registered!!

Hedonism is an unknown quantity at this point
god i hate punks, i wish they would all DIE!!!
Old 02-01-2003
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way
HondaGuru is an unknown quantity at this point
>deductable, fix it your self
< deductable, get the most EXPENSIVE place to write up an estimate, get the cash for that, then go to the cheapest place to get it fixed that u can find and pocket the extra.
Old 02-01-2003
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: HondaGuru
< deductable, get the most EXPENSIVE place to write up an estimate, get the cash for that, then go to the cheapest place to get it fixed that u can find and pocket the extra.[hr]
so diy it if it's greater than the deductable

and

if its less than deductable, get expensive quote to go over the deductable and get the cheaper place to fix it and keep the cash?

will this raise my insurance rates?
Old 02-01-2003
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way
HondaGuru is an unknown quantity at this point
No, if its LESS then the deductable (ie under 500 bucks) DIY.
if its MORE then rip the insurance company a new one for all u can get.

And rate hikes depend on your insurance.

Hell I had some dumb bitch slam into the back of my car. repair bill was over 3K. I didint have any rate hikes, then again i go through USAA and the police report said i was in no way at fault.
Old 02-01-2003
Registered!!

XxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really nice
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-nono.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-01-2003
Registered!!

Elite is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: XxSoVeReiGNxX
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-nono.gif[/IMG][hr]
lol ok, whatever you say but thanks for your input some guy crashed into me while back ago and it was a hit and run my whole side was damaged passenger side, and they replaced the door and pained and even added a body kit to my car n stuff, newayz they wrote a check for $4500 wow, thats pretty good.
Old 02-01-2003
Registered!!

cdmx will become famous soon enoughcdmx will become famous soon enough

MY CAR GOT KEYED TOO!! I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL!!
it falls under comprehensive - much less than detuctible, my detuctible is 250 but comprehensive was 100.
(i got lucky and didn't have to pay anything, one of my tails was minorly scratched and that covered my detuctible i kept it on)
IT COST $$2000 @$#%#ING DOLLARS TO FIX MY CAR
Old 02-01-2003
Registered!!

cdmx will become famous soon enoughcdmx will become famous soon enough
(dont want to edit)

Also if they allready said it above i didn't read it. But the insurance company will want you to get your car estimated at one of their qualified locations, and after then they cut you a check and you can take it where ever you want.
Old 02-01-2003
Registered!!

XxJDMCivicxX is an unknown quantity at this point
Put it towards a custom paint job, there is no way its going to be under 500 my dad got his denali keyed it cost him 2500 CAD too re-paint.
Old 02-01-2003
Registered!!

Drnknmnky13 is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: HondaGuru
< deductable, get the most EXPENSIVE place to write up an estimate, get the cash for that, then go to the cheapest place to get it fixed that u can find and pocket the extra.[hr]
I dont know how your insurance company works...but mine sent the check straight to the repair company. My friends insurance actually told him where to take it..and paid the shop also. I at least got to pick where to get it done..but I never saw a check. Maybe if you knew the guys at the shop or something. Again..this is how Mine (geico) did it.
Old 02-01-2003
AR
e-married to daydreamer

AR will become famous soon enough
it depends on the insurance comopany. if its a well known trust one, then theyll probaby let you find an estimate yourself and once you show them theyll write you a fat check. sometimes though theyll do an estmate of their own. in other cases, you can show them up by compairing the prices of your estimate you found and theirs.

ive gotta 500 dolar deductable too, i say you listen to joe. you can make a few bucks if you get a high estimate and end up taking it to a cheap place
Old 02-02-2003
THE WOP

vincenzobar is an unknown quantity at this point
my car got keyed from the rear tire to the front tire in the walmart parking lot. When I see that guy again I will hurt him severly. I know who did it. just not personally.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-02-2003
Registered!!

yeah i asked my friend (mechanic) he recommended this place (most expensive in town) to get the estimate, then goto my insurance company to get my check, then have him do it for free
Old 02-06-2003
Registered!!

Yukonart will become famous soon enough
Dood. . . if you have a $500 deductible, you're STILL going to have to pay that before your insurance cuts you any check.

If your friend is going to do it for free, then have them do it for free. . . .

Remember, deductibles are what you pay oot of pocket. . .you don't get that back in the check they write you. Only way you'll make ANY money on this is if the Estimate from the shop is over $1000 AND your friend does the work for free. Normally, you'd get a check for the whole job, AFTER you've paid the deduct. . . . with that check they write you being just enough to cover the work. In the end, you're still paying $500 oot of pocket.

Otherwise. . . say a shop quotes you $800 for the job. You pay insurance $500, they write you an $800 check. You use proceeds from check to pay shop. You are STILL oot the $500 you coughed up to begin with. So in your case, if you want to MAKE money. . . your estimate will have to be OVER $1000. You pay the $500 deduct and get a check for the balance. That balance had better be over $500 or you're LOSING money. See?

All this is why I carry a $100 deductible on comprehensive coverage. Most jobs to fix minor damage such as this don't cost enough to warrant a $500 out of pocket check from me. Then again, I also have USAA, and their policies RULE.