Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

1999 Honda Civic SI

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MatthaiN is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking 1999 Honda Civic SI

It has been awhile since I have been on this forum. I do apologize, but I was in Afghanistan at the same time. I am now back in the states and have had the chance to drive my baby that I bought while I was over there. I put on the new shoes today. In case anyone needs to know, here are the current specs:

B16A2 (45k Original miles on motor and body)
Eagle rods
JE pistons
Bored .5mm Over
440cc injectors
Full Greddy Turbo System w/T28 Turbo running 8 PSI
Tokiko Blues
Falken Ziex Tires
Buddy Club P1 Racing Wheels

Exhaust is running off the downpipe right now and still need to get the APexi' WS2 Catback sitting in my garage put on right now. Ill be using SpeedFactory's services for this. I also have a new Walbro fuel pump with and a few other things to add on here and there. Ill post a video of it on Youtube when I get a chance.

The car pulls hard... and i mean hard. It's quick. I think I will also dyno it next saturday and see what is really going on here. Here is a pic I took just today after I put the new wheels on.

Old 02-25-2012
Registered!!

PunX is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1999 Honda Civic SI

I love that generation of si, especially the taillights. Real nice ride man.
Old 02-25-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Welcome back to the continent

I love the look of the buddy club p1 wheels, good choice.
Old 02-26-2012
Registered!!

Thanks, I appreciate it. It is good to be back. Just one more week till I can really drive Big Red around. I can't wait.
Old 02-29-2012
Registered!!

I have noticed a few things after driving my EM1. The first and probably the most major of the problems is the sound that I am getting from what seems to be the tranny when I decelerate in 1ST AND 2nd gear. It doesnt make the sound in neutral. The sound is like a grinding/whining noise. I was thinking the input shaft bearing, but not entirely sure?

The second problem happens when the accessories are turned on. The idle seems to lope from 800-1400 RPMS. I havent checked the IACV or TPS yet, but I did just replace all the grounding wires.

Opinions would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 02-29-2012

peepthegame is an unknown quantity at this point

wow, thats just beautiful. makes me wanna cry. 45k original miles? wow im jealous
Old 02-29-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MatthaiN
I have noticed a few things after driving my EM1. The first and probably the most major of the problems is the sound that I am getting from what seems to be the tranny when I decelerate in 1ST AND 2nd gear. It doesnt make the sound in neutral. The sound is like a grinding/whining noise. I was thinking the input shaft bearing, but not entirely sure?

The second problem happens when the accessories are turned on. The idle seems to lope from 800-1400 RPMS. I havent checked the IACV or TPS yet, but I did just replace all the grounding wires.

Opinions would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
The problem is most likely in the FITV, clean it, if that doesn't rectify the issue try bleeding the coolant by running the engine from completely cold to operating temperature with the radiator cap a bit loose, just enough that you get the odd drip. If you're still having trouble check out the PCV.
Old 03-01-2012
Registered!!

Speed9117 will become famous soon enough

sooooo clean.

God I love the Buddy Club P1s
Old 03-01-2012
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Lookin' good
Old 03-01-2012
Registered!!

Artificial has a spectacular aura aboutArtificial has a spectacular aura aboutArtificial has a spectacular aura about

Beautiful. Pretty much exactly how I'd want an EM1.
Old 03-01-2012
Registered!!

tipnitty is on a distinguished road

OMG That is beautiful!!!! Well done! MOAR pics.
Old 03-02-2012
Registered!!

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it. Yes it has only 45k original miles. The paint is original too and needs some waxing and buffing but is still pretty clean. Its going to Speedfactory this weekend to get some diagnostic work done for the small things, since I dont have the time. I will def post more pics after I give it a bath and clean up the engine bay. Im posting from my phone, so Ill have to get on my comp.
Old 03-02-2012
Registered!!

95civicguy2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

First off I have to say welcome home. Second amazing ride man the new shoes look great. Can't wait to see more pics.
Old 03-03-2012
Registered!!

civydcex has a spectacular aura aboutcivydcex has a spectacular aura aboutcivydcex has a spectacular aura about

I also love this gen of civis!! I just dont like the spoiler!! Always like lip spoilers
Old 03-03-2012
Registered!!

Soo all my worst fears came true. The input shaft bearing is failing :/ soo the tranny needs to be pulled and the case split to get to it. Its a 20 dollar part, but 600 dollar job. The tune that the current turbo setup is using is a base map, which is why I am getting the idle lope. Its getting dyno tuned today and the tranny will be pulled monday. I am also using a new MAP sensor and installing a Walbro Higher flowing fuel pump.

More pictures soon! Will also post a 1st/2nd gear pull on youtube.

Will scan and post the dyno sheet too.
Old 03-03-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Input shaft bearings, such a nightmare.
Old 03-03-2012
Registered!!

You are telling me...
$30 part, 5 hours of labor...
Old 03-03-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

You could try doing it yourself, it's not that hard.
Old 03-06-2012
Registered!!

True... Generally I like to do everything myself, but I dont have the time for this... Like at all. I am working everyday for ten hours and then I have an hour commute each way for work. Time is money in this case and I am paying for time I dont have to spend. Im also working on my 88 YOTA 4x4 quite a bit too. Its been a bit of a project since I bought it.
Old 03-06-2012
Registered!!

tipnitty is on a distinguished road

Damn that sucks man, tell you what. I'll just brink my 7thgen to you and I'll just trade you cars
Old 03-07-2012
Registered!!

Another update for my baby. Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump installed, SF MAP Sensor installed, input shaft bearing replaced, preventative maintenance on transmission done, Down-pipe re modified so that Oil return line for turbo wasn't touching, oil return line replaced, cat delete, turbo re-tuned at 12 psi via dyno.

As promised, here it is:

More pics to come soon

Last edited by MatthaiN; 03-08-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-07-2012
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

sick!
Old 03-08-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

What turbo are you using?
Old 03-08-2012
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Welcome and clean em1
Old 03-08-2012
Registered!!

I am using a Greddy T28. So the boost is pretty much maxed out anyhow. I need bigger injectors and a bigger turbo to go anymore. I would have to also start beefing up the transmission too.
Old 03-08-2012
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Man. Only 45k? Jeez! Still a baby. The weather is getting nice around here and you posting these pics is actually making me wanna get out there and drive
Old 03-19-2012
Naturally Aspirated

513EM1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MatthaiN
I know this is some what old news and you have already fixed the tranny by replacing the shaft bearing, but sadly I think this is exactly what is going on with my car right now. I wanted to ask if you noticed a sound also as you were driving?

Im noticing a fast clicking sound as Im driving in every gear. Im also hearing that 'grinding' or 'humming' sound when Im decelerating in 4th, 3rd, 2nd, and 1st. I know whatever it is, its going to cost some money but I wanna try and pin point what it is.

Old 03-19-2012
Trance Addict

Sounds like the CV axles. Mine started out like that. Just a few clicks. Then grinding. Lol. What sucked about my situation was the boots weren't torn. They were just old and I guess the grease just stopped doing its job. If they've never been replaced, now's the time. Mine went around like 135k. I also changed the transmission seal too when I did mine.
Old 03-19-2012
Naturally Aspirated

513EM1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Was it a noticeable fast click in every gear? The grinding sound only only occurs when decelerating at low RPMs, from about 3k and under.
Old 03-19-2012
Trance Addict

I'd assume so. I never heard it on the freeway because of road noise. But the click went with the speed of the car. The faster I accelerated the faster the clicks got. The grinding showed up a week or so after the clicks though.

Quick Reply: 1999 Honda Civic SI