Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

02_d17a1_dx 's Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02_d17a1_dx is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 02_d17a1_dx 's Build thread

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
let's see, do you have any DTC's?
Do you have a service manual?
No codes, unless its thrown a soft code, ill get it checked but theres no light.

I have a Haynes Manual, Honda service manual is in the mail.
Old 10-01-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Let's see... there are 10 pages, and scanner is dead, so just a quick try - Considering this is a DTC P1259, VTEC malfunctioning
check oil level - i believe you covered that.
I will jump some parts here...
If intermittent failure, system is OK at this time. Check for poor connections or loose terminal at the vtec solenoid, VTEC oil pressure and switch, and at the ECM/PCM

Last edited by sdaidoji; 10-01-2010 at 06:20 PM. Reason: ECM/PCM, not ECU, geez...
Old 10-01-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

all the others seem to need special tools, like pressure gauges that connect in between the oil pressure switch (min 49kPa or 7 PSI) at 1k and 2k RPM with engine hot. or a electrical tool to check current (forgot the name at this moment! ).
Hopefully somebody else will butt in, i never did that actually... just reading the manual here...
Old 10-01-2010
Registered!!

hmmm, i wonder what they were running the voltmeter into... since theres no oil pressure sending unit just two switches... I was planning on just testing oil pressure the old fashioned way, with an oil pressure tester, lol. Unforutnately I dont have a vtec ecu so it wont tell me what the problem is, lol. If theres proper oil pressure i guess it must be in the head, since theres no other part to the vtec system, lol. I checked the wiring, good, the solenoid clicked when i wired it to the battery so i assume its working, so if its not oil pressure, whether its from the oil pump or the solenoid gasket, then it must be in the head somewhere, which would really suck. haha
Old 10-01-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by 02_d17a1_dx
Unforutnately I dont have a vtec ecu so it wont tell me what the problem is, lol.
?!?
Might be a dumb question, but how does you control your V-TEC?

Last edited by sdaidoji; 10-01-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-01-2010
Registered!!

An Apexi VAFC-II

It allows you to control your map sensor readings to alter the ecus fuel output, you can apply an air correction factor at certain rpms, engage vtec at whatever rpm you want and apply a fuel correction when you are in vtec. Very useful tool for vtec swaps and to tune factory vtec.
Old 10-01-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i struggled with this issue a while back and while cleaning it helped for a few months, finally it would just keep throwing the engine light. i ended up replacing the whole thing and suspect the solenoid was prolly sticking. the oil pressure switch has its own code if it went bad.
Old 10-01-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
i struggled with this issue a while back and while cleaning it helped for a few months, finally it would just keep throwing the engine light. i ended up replacing the whole thing and suspect the solenoid was prolly sticking. the oil pressure switch has its own code if it went bad.
Well when i pulled the solenoid, it seemed to move freely and like i said it clicked when i gave it power, but i have read on other forums that even if it clicks it still could be bad? I wish i had an extra to put on to see if it fixed it. Unfortunately its $100 from Majestic Honda.
Old 10-01-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Well when i pulled the solenoid, it seemed to move freely and like i said it clicked when i gave it power, but i have read on other forums that even if it clicks it still could be bad? I wish i had an extra to put on to see if it fixed it. Unfortunately its $100 from Majestic Honda.
hunh.
I your service manual is coming in the mail, just wait for it, try all the items (since you don't have the stock ECU) to show the codes, and then depending on the results decide what to do, is my 2 cents. Don't waste money by throwing parts, i guess.
G'luck!
Old 10-01-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
hunh.
I your service manual is coming in the mail, just wait for it, try all the items (since you don't have the stock ECU) to show the codes, and then depending on the results decide what to do, is my 2 cents. Don't waste money by throwing parts, i guess.
G'luck!
Thats the plan, but i think ive checked everything the ecu would know except for oil pressure... I guess ill know for sure once the manual gets here, thanks for the help!
Old 10-01-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Thats the plan, but i think ive checked everything the ecu would know except for oil pressure... I guess ill know for sure once the manual gets here, thanks for the help!
Yeah, I did not see any mention on the oil pump, and i believe you know about that better than me... And i would suspect that as well, but jus' to clear the electrical parts out, i guess. Yours is a custom case, so manual could not be much of a help either...
Old 10-04-2010
Registered!!

I forgot to mention that i do have a bad cam seal, gonna replace it along with the oil soaked timing belt and tensioner, although i dont think that would affect oil pressure. I also noticed the other day a dent in my oil pan near where i think the pickup is, I have heard of this causing low enough oil pressure to where vtec wont engage so my plan is to do the belt cam seal tensioner oil pump and oil pan at the same time since ill be taking it all of anyway and the oil pump is only $50 which is good insurance IMO. Im guessing the oil pan got dented when i left the engine supported by a jack overnight during the swap when i had the drivers side mount off, i hope thats all the problem is and not something in the head itself...
Old 10-19-2010
Registered!!

And vtec works again, I pulled the valve cover and saw this hole, in the rocker assembly and was like "well thats not supposed to be there" and it was in an oil passage, then i found the bolt that goes in it just laying in the head. After reinstalling it and torquing it down, I replaced the cam seal, and vtec works, yay. I guess the head shop didnt torque it down.

As for future plans im saving up money to get a donor engine and tranny so i can build them for boost, just a block since the head I got was completely rebuilt and a tranny since mine is shot. gonna rebuild the tranny and pistons and rods for the block.

Thanks to everyone for their help and im jus glad it was a simple fix.