Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Brake pedal to the floor

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goletadude is an unknown quantity at this point
Brake pedal to the floor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 2000 civic EX., no ABS. I replaced the rear drums with Disc Calipers etc. The car sat for a year before I finished the upgrade causing the fluid to gel. Because of this, I replaced the prop. valve with the SI type valve and replaced the master cylinder. I have bled the brakes and get clear fluid out of the slaves.

The Problem is that I never get any pedal, it always just goes all the way to the floor. I have done brakes on a number of other types of cars with good results and also read the recommended Honda procedure. I have never seen this wierd type of problem. No matter how much I bleed the brakes, the pedal never gets and better. I have checked for leaks but do not see any!

Any suggestions?
Old 05-24-2010
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prodresurgence will become famous soon enough
Re: Brake pedal to the floor

Are the rear wheel cylinders leaking? The master cylinder seal could be old/ ripped. If you drained the system using the brake pedal you may have pushed the master cylinder O ring in further than usual and damaged it. Is there any pressure on the pedal? Was it a new master cylinder or a junk yard deal? Lastly, did you bleed the brakes at every tire starting with the rear passenger?
Old 05-24-2010
Registered!!

army12bc will become famous soon enough

is the booster working. hold pedal and start car, if pedal goes in its working
Old 05-24-2010
Registered!!

Goletadude is an unknown quantity at this point

There are no leaks that I can see. If you start the car, the pedal goes in so I think the booster is working. The master cylinder is new rebuilt from parts store.

If you pump the brakes enough all of the calipers acuate somewhat but not enough to stop the car. However, the pedal goes to the floor all of the time.

If I disconnect the front brake lines at the prop valve, I have a good brake pedal, the rear brakes work enough to slowly stop the car. But not enough to safely drive. I have tried to isolate the faulty line using this method but cannot pinpoint the problem.

There are no leaks in the front calipers, I bled the brakes a few times per the Honda procedure, no air comes out, but still no pedal when all lines are connected.

Never see anything like this before. I had two mechanic friends look at it and they had the same conclusion, none! Don't know what the heck to do next.
Old 05-25-2010
Registered!!

RonJ will become famous soon enough

My guess is that air is still trapped in one or more of the calipers. I have found the inexpensive one-man brake bleeder tool to be very helpful in preventing air from being drawn back into the system while bleeding.
Old 05-25-2010
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prodresurgence will become famous soon enough

Try replacing the caliper piston seals and dust boot, maybe its sucking in air/ dirt. $5 for the kit. You have some sort of blockage or air pocket in one of your lines, you can also use a pressurized tank to push out the old fluid/gel and possibly a blockage. This is it:

http://www.eurosportacc.com/motive_p...brake_line.htm