Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

I need a little help with a few things...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drummerdude is an unknown quantity at this point
I need a little help with a few things...

I'm new to civicforums, but I am about to buy a 2001 Honda Civic EX coupe, I want to get this car looking pretty nice and would really like to give it some real horsepower. So far i think I'll buy: 01-05 Honda Civic Blazer Body Kit, K&N Cold Air Intake - 57 Generation II - Direct OE replacement 01-05 Honda Civic or a Fujita Cold Air Intake - polished, Direct OE replacement, I can't decide which one i really want. Does anyone know which would give more horsepower? and an 01-05 Honda Civic - Magnaflow Exhaust system performance - rear, natural, stainless steel, And for rims I'm getting Enkei Tuning series SCO5. And after i get the ground effects put on i want to get the whole car painted a Deep Pearl Blue and get the windows tinted pretty dark. And I've also been looking at a VCN-400 microchip. I don't know that much about cars so could anyone suggest more things I could do to get the horsepower boosted more? I don't wanna get Nos, turbo, or a supercharger though. And the car is an Automatic if that changes anything. -Thanks
Old 04-28-2010
Registered!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I need a little help with a few things...

Everyone agrees that you won't see power from those upgrades. The automatic transmission will kill the power gains even more.
Old 04-28-2010
Registered!!

I won't even notice an increase with the VCN-400 chip?? The website said i should see up to a 25% increase in Horsepower
Old 04-28-2010
the best kind of lovin is from the oven!

ProjectMayhemR will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Drummerdude
I won't even notice an increase with the VCN-400 chip?? The website said i should see up to a 25% increase in Horsepower
Jesus! Its just a resistor it will do absolutely nothing. Word from the wise: Just because they say it will do something doesn't mean it will! You have a lot to learn...
Old 04-28-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

dont believe everything you read online. on a side note there is absolutely nothing that can be bolted on that will give you any noticeable power thats cheap. your only options are is turbo,engine swap, nitrous.sorry to burst your bubble but are engines don't respond to bolt ons like the previous generation.and the 01-03 model automatic civics have severe transmission problems so i would be gentle with it and start putting money aside for a new transmission unless its under warranty.

Last edited by lowlife9; 04-28-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-28-2010
the best kind of lovin is from the oven!

ProjectMayhemR will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Drummerdude
I'm new to civicforums, but I am about to buy a 2001 Honda Civic EX coupe, I want to get this car looking pretty nice and would really like to give it some real horsepower. So far i think I'll buy: 01-05 Honda Civic Blazer Body Kit, K&N Cold Air Intake - 57 Generation II - Direct OE replacement 01-05 Honda Civic or a Fujita Cold Air Intake - polished, Direct OE replacement, I can't decide which one i really want. Does anyone know which would give more horsepower? and an 01-05 Honda Civic - Magnaflow Exhaust system performance - rear, natural, stainless steel, And for rims I'm getting Enkei Tuning series SCO5. And after i get the ground effects put on i want to get the whole car painted a Deep Pearl Blue and get the windows tinted pretty dark. And I've also been looking at a VCN-400 microchip. I don't know that much about cars so could anyone suggest more things I could do to get the horsepower boosted more? I don't wanna get Nos, turbo, or a supercharger though. And the car is an Automatic if that changes anything. -Thanks
Sounds like you are New to cars period...I love how you said add horsepower and the first thing u listed was a body kit. Anyways get a manual, do a swap or turbo, everything else is just a waste of money... trust me.
Anymore questions just use the search function. If you can't find an answer then ask a question.
Old 04-28-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ProjectMayhemR
Sounds like you are New to cars period...I love how you said add horsepower and the first thing u listed was a body kit. Anyways get a manual, do a swap or turbo, everything else is just a waste of money... trust me.
Anymore questions just use the search function. If you can't find an answer then ask a question.
well at the beginning of what i said, it mentioned making it look really nice, so that's where the body kit comes in. Im not really looking to make a street racing car, just something that can keep up with my friends 93 Mazda Miata.
Old 04-28-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lowlife9
dont believe everything you read online. on a side note there is absolutely nothing that can be bolted on that will give you any noticeable power thats cheap. your only options are is turbo,engine swap, nitrous.sorry to burst your bubble but are engines don't respond to bolt ons like the previous generation.and the 01-03 model automatic civics have severe transmission problems so i would be gentle with it and start putting money aside for a new transmission unless its under warranty.
i have considered getting an engine swap but i don't know how much it would cost or even where to get one. And i am pretty new to cars.
Old 04-28-2010
HLC
Registered!!

HLC is an unknown quantity at this point

don't buy the civic if you want power. it won't keep up with a miata either. flashy body kits will get you called a ricer too. lol at that chip? you'll see a 25% increase in horsepower from the butt dyno

Last edited by HLC; 04-28-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-28-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Don't put a body kit without dropping it, either.. that'll just look hella retarded..

If you wanna do some tuning with the civic, go for suspension. Drop some cash on a nice set of coilovers, tinker around with sway bars, get a strut tower bar to give you better steering response (i didn't notice a change when I put it on, but the moment I took it off, I pulled right back into the driveway to install it). You can get your basic bolt-ons if you'd like (intake, header, downpipe if you feel like, and a cat-back exhaust). That'll pretty much just give you sound.. Maybe a tinge of HP, but nothing to go apeshit about.

If you don't wanna go forced induction (N2O or turbo) and you want power, go for a k swap.. swap in either an RSX/civic si hatch motor (K20A3 [RSX base/Civic SI], -A2 [RSX-S], -A [JDM ITR]) motor or a k24 (TSX, CRV).. Doing a swap will cost you a pretty penny though. Here is a good place to look at what all goes into a k20 swap.. gives you approximate prices for parts, too.. It'll run you $6k-$9k. A JDM k20a will run you $6k alone if you search online..

If you wanna stick with the D17, don't expect much without building the motor or going F/I

The "chip" you mentioned above is exactly what ProjectMayhem said it is.. It's a resisitor that tricks your ECU into believing cooler air (more dense air) is entering your engine..

Oh, and referring to the tranny losses with an auto.. I think the stock d17a2 (ex motor) dyno'd at about 110whp for a manual and 90-something whp for an auto

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 04-28-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-28-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by HLC
don't buy the civic if you want power. it won't keep up with a miata either. flashy body kits will get you called a ricer too. lol at that chip? you'll see a 25% increase in horsepower from the butt dyno
it's not that flashy of a body kit, just something to give the sides some detail and not make the front look so plain. Well i'm not really buying the civic so much as having it give to me by a family member.
Old 04-28-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Just googled it, and it's a knock off Bomex body kit.. it's a pretty flashy body kit, dude..

If you want a clean looking body kit, there's the tsunami t2001 kit

and the buddy club 2 is another one I was looking at way back when..
Old 04-28-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Just googled it, and it's a knock off Bomex body kit.. it's a pretty flashy body kit, dude..

If you want a clean looking body kit, there's the tsunami t2001 kit

and the buddy club 2 is another one I was looking at way back when..
i live in a pretty small town, so i'm not worried about getting called a Ricer. Almost every1 here drive a super jacked up truck anyway. I like the last one you showed, but i still think ill get the Blazer kit
Old 04-28-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Welp, to each his own. Just remember, it's your car, your style. Someone's always gonna hate on it, regardless of what you got. (I'm not hating with the "flashy body kit" statement.. just stating. lol)

Buuuut....

IMHO, it'll look 1902348719234712903847 times better if you lower it (even just a little bit) and put some rims before getting a body kit.

A nice subtle drop would be either tein s-techs (1.3/1.4" F/R) or eibach sportlines (1.4" F/R) mated with some tokico HP (blues) shocks. That setup will give you a nice looking drop with a (very) slightly stiffer than stock ride. It will, however, run you about $600-$650. I personally liked that setup when I had it, but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on my tein coilovers.

I got some pictures of my car lowered on the tein s-tech/tokico blues setup if you wanna see it. I've been whoring those pictures out on this forum a lot lately. lol
Old 04-29-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i think im liken those tsunami side skirts you think they would flow with a moogen lip or is it to rounded.
Old 04-29-2010
Administrator
Administrator

**** it..

try it out, snap some pics, post it up. If you don't like the look, ebay the ****ers. lol
Old 04-29-2010
Registered!!

hath33 will become famous soon enough

hey im pretty new here to but i got an ex 2001 civic i love it its a stick though but i loooooovvvvvvvveeeeee stick (no homo). but basically im here to tell u that if i had the money i would for shure go K20 swap woooo ftw (im gonna eventually) and about the body kit u should just lower it and get a lip kit it will look sick then just paint that B**** and call it the sickest civic ull ever find. no spoiler and tint the windows and to top it off some jdm projector headlights. paint it white or green with a carbon fiber hood and trunk but not just any green its gotta be close to the original clover green thats stock on our model its one of the color options. anywho a clean car with a nice paint job and no dents is better than one with a crazy *** paint job with chippin paint and bondo from the bodykit hangin off the sides (what ur car will be in 7 years if u do it) that **** will weigh ur car down anyway. the flashier ur car is the more attention ull get from cops and from everybody like the mother f***ers that just want to key ur car because it stands out u know. Just please if ur gonna fix up ur car do it right and make it nice not rice.
Old 04-29-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Projectors aren't JDM.. just sayin... If you wanna get technical, the OEM reflector headlights are "JDM"

And as long as you drive like a normal person, cops won't really bug you. Sure, they'll look at you like they wanna do something, but until you give them a reason to pull you over, you're fine..