Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Need Help Fast! New car rusting!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couper EX is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Need Help Fast! New car rusting!

My 2009 Civic was backed into on the side and it is begining to rust where the paint was taken off.

What should I do to clean it up and prevent more rust?

(I'm unable to pay for body work right now and need a cheap fix that will last)
Old 09-09-2009
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Need Help Fast! New car rusting!

sand off the rust and the chipped paint around the edges and spray it with some rust proofing primer, then paint over it with spray paint of whatever color the car is. Its gonna look like crap, but a lot less crap than rust.
Old 09-09-2009
Registered!!

Ckutch02EX is an unknown quantity at this point

uh, shouldn't your insurance cover that little problem? You do have insurance right?
Old 09-10-2009
Registered!!

Awjvail is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ckutch02EX
uh, shouldn't your insurance cover that little problem? You do have insurance right?
If he can't afford to fix a dent in his car, I doubt he could afford paying the deductible, plus possibly putting his rate up.
Old 09-18-2009
Registered!!

Thanks for the body work advice Boilermaker. Ckutch, Awjvail was right about the deductible. After talking with the person responsible, we have decided to claim it under their insurance policy seeing that it was their fault in the first place. Too bad the she is my wife to be, lol!
Old 09-18-2009
Registered!!

fallout is a jewel in the roughfallout is a jewel in the roughfallout is a jewel in the roughfallout is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Couper EX
Thanks for the body work advice Boilermaker. Ckutch, Awjvail was right about the deductible. After talking with the person responsible, we have decided to claim it under their insurance policy seeing that it was their fault in the first place. Too bad the she is my wife to be, lol!
Omg how terrible. You're never gonna hear the end of this one.
Twenty years from now, she'll still nag about how she had to pay for your car lol.
Good luck buddy.
Old 09-21-2009
Registered!!

svtcobra is an unknown quantity at this point

oh no....
Old 11-20-2009
Registered!!

*UPDATE*

I was able to file a claim and I'm getting my car fixed! Monday, the "appraiser" is going to look at the damage done to my car and then I'll be taking it to a body shop to get my baby looking like new again! I'm soo happy!
Old 11-20-2009
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

oh nice
Old 11-23-2009
Registered!!

Yeah, I'm excited! The estimator just started doing his estimating and will let me know when he's done. One step closer! Will let you know how much the damage is worth.

UPDATE: The estimated cost of repair is $1358.00. Soon my baby shall be fixed!

Last edited by Couper EX; 11-23-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-24-2009
Registered!!

Ok, so my Civic is in the body shop getting re-beautified and I'm stuck driving a vehicle from the other end of the spectrum... a Nissan X-terra.

I miss my baby already.
Old 12-04-2009
Registered!!

Finally! My buns are back in the seat of my Civic! The Fiancée couldn't be happier that my car is fixed. I think it bothered her almost as much as it did me.
Old 12-04-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

any new pics?
Old 12-05-2009
Registered!!

Yes gearbox, but not of the affected area. I stumble upon this today. I'm ticked.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1205091233a.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	77648  
Old 12-06-2009
Premium Member

use meguiar's scratch-x on that. should take it right out, just keep rubbing til it disappears. you may need to repeat several times til you see a difference. as long as theres no paint taken off, should be fine.
Old 12-06-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Couper EX
Yes gearbox, but not of the affected area. I stumble upon this today. I'm ticked.
Welcome to the world of ***-hats setting crap on your car. My whole trunk lid looks like that from people setting stuff on it and sliding it off. I've contemplated getting a spoiler just so people will stop setting stuff on it.

Take some pictures of the repair!
Old 12-07-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
use meguiar's scratch-x on that. should take it right out, just keep rubbing til it disappears. you may need to repeat several times til you see a difference. as long as theres no paint taken off, should be fine.
I have some Scratch-X 2.0 that I can use. It's just frustrating to have to use this on my new car already. There's also finer scratches on the entire body of the car. Whatever they used to wipe my car down with during their detailing routine was really crummy.
Old 12-07-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lordhelmet
Welcome to the world of ***-hats setting crap on your car. My whole trunk lid looks like that from people setting stuff on it and sliding it off. I've contemplated getting a spoiler just so people will stop setting stuff on it.

Take some pictures of the repair!
The fact that workers at a body shop can't even take care of my entire car during a repair to a portion of the car throws my trust even further down than it was when it comes to letting work get done to my car. I won't even take it to get professionally detailed anymore after my previous G6 was "detailed".

I'll put up some pics as soon as I can find them.
Old 12-07-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't take my car to a detailer with out a good sample of their previous work. I just wouldn't happen.
Old 12-07-2009
Premium Member

body shops dont really clean up after themselves. when i got my car back, the entire thing was a mess inside and out. took me a week to clean it up. all sorts of dust and dirt inside, bondo pieces, ash, etc. and on the outside, alot of refinishing needed to be done to get off overspray and some blemishes. but i cant complain cause they did do alot of other work. i dont think detailing is their specialty. oh yeah and when they sanded off my painted pinstripe, it was so bad i had to go over it maybe 20x with scratchx so they werent so noticable. and this was one of the best bodyshops in town, and part of the largest dealership in the city.
Old 12-08-2009
Registered!!

Many lessons learned. Unfortunately, I can't find my pictures I took of my car before the repairs were made. So much for some before and after comparisons.