Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Broke into my civic

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
esaack is an unknown quantity at this point
Broke into my civic

This is my first post, I only wish it could have been about something more positive but what can you do. Last night was the second time that someone broke into my Red 94 honda civic Ex within two weeks. First time they broke in they stole my two 12" sony subs (not top of the line but still nice), a really nice Performance Teknique amp 1200W, my change drawr holding about $4, and my cigarette lighter. Second time they stole my garage door remote. Luckily they didn't break the windows to get in, must have pried the door open or something so now I went and got myself an alarm and steering wheel lock but I want to know if there's some other way that I can keep them from getting in. I dont have anything that might catch their eye inside my car now but I'm not convinced that they aren't coming back.
Old 07-04-2009
Registered!!

thenewdiabolic is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Broke into my civic

**** sucks dude, i know your pain my last car got broken into and my two 12" subs, an amp, and my radar detector got stolen, all while my car was right in my yard. i dont really have any tips besides to make sure your car is always locked, and if your alarm has like a flashing light thats visible from the outside it serves as a great deterrant in itself. good luck
Old 07-04-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

only tips i have is dont keep anything of value in the car anymore. and disconnect/unplug the power door lock switches. thats how they got in so fast and easy the first time. theyll have a surprise next time, altho that might make them angry and result in a broken window. alarm will help scare them off too. but i dont think they will be back unless they plan to steal the car from your garage.
Old 07-05-2009
Registered!!

Wolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura aboutWolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura aboutWolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura about

That's horrible. I'm sorry to hear that some ******* did that to you.

First, if I were you I would change the remote opening setting on your garage door, so those *******s don't get into your garage.

Second, if you can, disable the trunk latch near the drivers seat (if you have one). This will hinder the crooks from easily getting into your trunk.

Third, it may sound obvious, but park your car in a well lit and observable area. Crooks don't like to be in the light and in the open when they are having troubles getting into a car.

Lastly, call your insurance company and see if they offer additional coverage for aftermarket parts. It will cost you a little more per year but you'll be covered if this **** happens again.

I hope this helps.

Gearbox, great idea about the door lock actuator! I think I'm going to do that myself.
Old 07-05-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

great idea about the trunk too. i have my inside opener disconnected and also the trunk is totally shaved so the only way i can get in is with the remote popper or thru the back seat with key. crooks i cant imagine them ever getting in, even tho all i have back there is a cargo net lol. i also have my hood release unbolted and hidden inside the trim piece. its easy to grab and pull out with your fingers, but the first time you try (if you even see it) its very difficult without ripping the panel off.
Old 07-05-2009
Registered!!

MJ4Real is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea those are some good ideas. Also i suggest tinting your windows if they arent already most crooks just like to look in and see something catches their eyes and the last thing to remember if people want to get in your car they will just try not to keep anything valuble in there if you can help it.
Old 07-05-2009
Registered!!

hondaguy2582 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have any aftermarket cd players, put them out of sight. Anything visible makes it more likely a thief will bust in you car and steal all your gear.

Also, be careful of bumping your system too loud in certain areas. This sends a red flag out to thieves. Even if sometimes you turn it down for a mile or two before you arrive, its better to stay stealth then let everyone know you have a system(I know, its sad we have to take precautions like this).
Old 07-05-2009
HLC
Registered!!

HLC is an unknown quantity at this point

my car also got broken into my last night at school about 5 minutes before i happened to walk out to my car in the parking lot. Now I had 15% window tint, so u pretty much cant see in the car and people still broke in, tried to steal my head unit (unsuccessfully) because i doesnt come out from the front and looked for something in my glove box (probably a GPS or something). They ended up not stealing anything and leaving me with a busted window...great night. So i'm not too sure that window tint will help deter thieves.

Last edited by HLC; 07-05-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-05-2009
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

2 way paging alarm. Put a camera outside your house. I got a 7inch smoked dome PTZ camera. Its pretty sick, I can look up and down the block whenever and get everything on tape. I'm about to put one of these signs out next to my car:

I know its a little extreme and all, but my car's never been broken into- just scoped out several times.. then ppl see the camera and dipp

Last edited by TRIZ; 07-05-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-05-2009
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

yeah my car got broken into the other day and my ipod was stolen. so i am getting a 2 way paging alarm on tuesday.
Old 07-06-2009
Registered!!

Thanks for all of the ideas guys. I just got my alarm installed, and turns out that there was one previously hooked up in the car as well I was just never told. Ya I plan to move the trunk switches somewhere else and I'm going to secure my power lock on the inside, as well as parking my car right outside my window for now on. Because I still want to install subs in my car, I'm thinking about installing a metal bar that runs through the front of the inside of my trunk, but I'm gonna make it removable by key incase I need access to my spare tire. This way even if they do get it open, they're gonna be a little dissapointed.
Old 07-06-2009
Registered!!

Fanatic4Christ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by esaack
Thanks for all of the ideas guys. I just got my alarm installed, and turns out that there was one previously hooked up in the car as well I was just never told. Ya I plan to move the trunk switches somewhere else and I'm going to secure my power lock on the inside, as well as parking my car right outside my window for now on. Because I still want to install subs in my car, I'm thinking about installing a metal bar that runs through the front of the inside of my trunk, but I'm gonna make it removable by key incase I need access to my spare tire. This way even if they do get it open, they're gonna be a little dissapointed.
or you could bolt down your box in 2 places on each corner... so 8 total... that should hold that box down you might get some pissed off people and some holes in your subwoofers but then again you never know... since you said you dident have a alarm that was stupid of you.. first thing i did when i bought my car before putting ANYTHING at all in it... got a alarm with a remote that tells me when my alarm goes off THEN installed my system... i can guarantee there going to try and break in it again.. but it doesn't matter because you have a alarm now so thats good. make sure to have a bat by your bed and if you hear anything rush out there with it and hope you can catch a hit or 2 on there car while there trying to speed off.. show them how it feels to have to pay for stuff.. dang thieves **** me off....

by the way, what subs are you planning on getting?
Old 07-06-2009
Registered!!

Ya I made the mistake of not having an alarm but I paid the price. Y I would bolt it down but Im not sure how I would get my spare tire out which lays under the floor in my trunk. I was looking at some kenwood KFC-W3012 12"s. Still not 100% sure yet I'm gonna test some out at bestbuy first. I'm looking for something with some nice kick for a small car.
Old 07-06-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TRIZ
2 way paging alarm. Put a camera outside your house. I got a 7inch smoked dome PTZ camera. Its pretty sick, I can look up and down the block whenever and get everything on tape. I'm about to put one of these signs out next to my car:

I know its a little extreme and all, but my car's never been broken into- just scoped out several times.. then ppl see the camera and dipp
Proprietary or home made? I got a server ready to go to set up video recording soon outside my place.
Old 01-30-2010
Registered!!

jcontreras121 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have an 8 camera 24 hour serveillance at my house 360 degrees... people have broken into my cars but i get all of my stuff back when i turn the video over to the police... i would invest into some cameras for your house as well... its peace of mind and helps you sleep better at night...
Old 01-30-2010
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

^ What kind of cameras do you have? Not that shitty setup from costco right?

I look for super low lux cameras, like 0.001 lux WITHOUT the assistance of any IR leds, which are worthless on most cameras because they are so cheaply made and more effective because of better quality when they are a separate LED lamp.

DEX- what kind of cameras are you using as well, whats your setup like?

I need to upgrade how and to what my cam records. I'm also looking at getting another uber expensive one with license plate recognition capabilities (LPR cam)
Old 01-30-2010
Premium Member

haha costco kit was the first thing i thought of. dont buy it
Old 01-30-2010
Registered!!

no all of my stuff wasnt cheap... you get what you pay for is how i see it i have an 8 channel swann dvr with net capabilities paid about $1500 so i can watch from anywhere including cell phone... 4 clover high def infrared cams 320 tv lines... paid about $120 each and 4 swann cameras 280 tv lines.... i paid about $110 each and a samsung 10 channel monitor which was about $600 this really helps me sleep better at night... ive caught people doing so many things... not only to me but to neighbors as well
Old 01-30-2010
Premium Member

do ppl see the cameras? or are they hidden
Old 01-31-2010
Registered!!

they are visible but you would really really have to inspect the house closely to find them... but at night, you cant see them because they are mounted right next to the lights i have around the house...
Old 01-31-2010
Registered!!

Civican is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this sounds stupid not knowing your parking situation, but lock your car in the garage. If you can't then analarm is your best bet. I had a silent paging alarm that worked great for catching thrives in the act. Purchase an inexpensive camera system. Why can't people just stay away and not mess with a man's automobile. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2010
Premium Member

Originally Posted by jcontreras121
no all of my stuff wasnt cheap... you get what you pay for is how i see it i have an 8 channel swann dvr with net capabilities paid about $1500 so i can watch from anywhere including cell phone... 4 clover high def infrared cams 320 tv lines... paid about $120 each and 4 swann cameras 280 tv lines.... i paid about $110 each and a samsung 10 channel monitor which was about $600 this really helps me sleep better at night... ive caught people doing so many things... not only to me but to neighbors as well
Got links to the specific cameras?
320 lines isnt anywhere near high def, if anything, its super low in respect to cameras. 540-560 is what they seem to be at now. And megapixel cameras are even more serious, but thats for IP based camera systems with video servers.

It should be pretty easy to pick out all your camears at night with the red glowing LEDs, but if they are next to the lights, then you should be good.

What I think is awesome is putting a low lux camera say on the side of my house where there is no light, and having a non visible IR LED lamp right next to it... the dude has no idea it looks like daylight on the monitor inside.

I was looking at getting a standalone DVR, but I'm cool on spending over $1k. My budget maxes at $500 for a DVR card... I want 4-8 channels that record only when motion is detected and at 30fps... none of this one frame every 3 seconds BS.
Old 05-28-2010
Registered!!

Keegs can only hope to improve

I got a GREAT story: I was about to buy my 94 Civic EX and I was in the process of talking the guy down from $2000 to $1500, he refused to drop in price, and no less than a day later he called me and said "$1700?" I said "sure thing, why did you decide to come down so fast?" and he explained how some punk *** 16 year old kid who looked at it and couldn't afford it, came back later that day and completely destroyed the dashboard in an attempt to steal the Honda factory CD player. Saved me $300.00 but has proven to be quite a headache to find a mint replacement dashboard. And how was the kid able to get into it? Doors were unlocked. I'm glad he didn't steal the floor mats....
Old 05-28-2010
Registered!!

hath33 will become famous soon enough

should have said 1200 and u have a deal lol bu thats stil pretty good
Old 05-28-2010
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TRIZ
DEX- what kind of cameras are you using as well, whats your setup like?
I never did answer this. I don't have anything set up yet, I got a server that will run Zoneminder.....eventually. I'm looking at some X10 cameras so I can view/pan/tilt them remotely.
Old 05-29-2010
Registered!!

mrlazycool is an unknown quantity at this point

Get a gun, next time they break in, shoot them.
Old 06-10-2010
Registered!!

speeeedddddfrea is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Muirsy
yeah my car got broken into the other day and my ipod was stolen. so i am getting a 2 way paging alarm on tuesday.
that was so terrible