Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Wrapped Intake Piping In Black Heat Wrap

Old 05-05-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda05 is just really niceHonda05 is just really niceHonda05 is just really niceHonda05 is just really nice
Wrapped Intake Piping In Black Heat Wrap

Figured i would try something different.. I know it probably wont do anything but oh well i did it anyways..

Name:  DSC01382.jpg
Views: 5502
Size:  184.9 KB
Old 05-05-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Wrapped Intake Piping In Black Heat Wrap

Might keep the air a little bit cooler
Old 05-05-2009
Registered!!

Honda05 is just really niceHonda05 is just really niceHonda05 is just really niceHonda05 is just really nice

i dunno maybe
Old 05-05-2009
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

s h i t

Last edited by lowlife9; 05-05-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-05-2009
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i wouldn't use that i got this for 40bucks its thermo-tech cool air tube heat sheild it blocks 98 percent of radiant heat.note this product is pointless for sri intakes because it draws in warm air from the engine bay.

Last edited by lowlife9; 08-26-2009 at 03:48 AM.
Old 05-05-2009
Registered!!

tknaub is an unknown quantity at this point

I would wrap that header first man! Thats where alot of heat is at in your engine bay.
Old 05-05-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

since you have cold air, the pipe is long enough that its temp would have a significant effect on the air temp, even tho the air moves fast. so maybe you might see an extra hp or so. for a short ram, id say no difference. theres not enough pipe to matter more than 5-10 degrees.
Old 05-05-2009
Registered!!

yeah i would of done the header first but the intake takes less time to take off lol.. I have plenty of left over wrap to do the header... just a matter of when i feel like doing it
Old 05-05-2009
Registered!!

KTciv_03 can only hope to improve

alot of time on your hands?
Old 05-05-2009
Registered!!

pacotaco is an unknown quantity at this point

okkkkkkkkkkkkkk.............. honestly you should have hit up your headers instead but idk
Old 05-05-2009
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

Eh... tried that years ago... never figured out if it made a difference. Maybe .00001 HP. The air is in the pipe for such a short amount of time it doesnt matter.
Old 05-05-2009
Registered!!

cjrager89 will become famous soon enough

i dont see how it would make too much of a difference, but i havnt seen any like it so who knows
Old 05-05-2009
Registered!!

jagass is an unknown quantity at this point

I really don't know...lol

Last edited by jagass; 05-05-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-06-2009
Registered!!

i dont know and dont care.. just felt like doing it.. should of done the header too which i still can since i have plenty of wrap left over. just need to get around to doing it.. You can say it doesnt do anything or i should of done the header first but all that matters is that i did which doesnt really matter.. You can leave negative comments, i dont really care.. Its my ride and this how im doing it so live with it

Last edited by Honda05; 05-06-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-06-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

do not wrap your header. get jet hot coating instead.
Old 05-06-2009
Registered!!

or header jackets.
Old 05-06-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

jet hot does not work as well as wrapping them by hand. jet hot with the car running you can't touch the headers. If they are wrapped properly you can put your hand on the headers and leave it there for a while. wrapping the headers keeps the heat in the pipe and it also significantly drops the engine bay temps. the big problem with wrapping headers is it's a bitch to do it properly and it takes forever and after words your soaking wet.
Old 05-06-2009
Registered!!

once again header jackets do the same thing and you install them in minutes while the header is on the car they also do not trap moisture and let the metal expand properly .
Old 05-06-2009
Registered!!

mrplow123456 will become famous soon enoughmrplow123456 will become famous soon enough

Alright well I did some research a while back and yes wrapping headers will keep in more heat then any other method. But more heat also means more expansion since the heat has nowhere to go. I have no idea what kind of headers you guys use but I'm telling you that any header under 500 dollars is going to have problems within a year. It might only be one of the gaskets but why risk it? You aren't running 10's. I mean you do to your car as you will but the intake is the one to be wrapped.

On to the intake wrapping. Looks nice man. I would have gone with the jacket but that's b/c I'm lazy lol. While you had the intake tube off I hope you cleaned it and the filter thoroughly bc U never know when you're going to take them off again. Don't listen to some of these clowns flamin u, they just jealous they haven't done it yet and that they don't have blue cf hoods and trunks. How much did the wrap cost, how many layers you put on, and how much you have left?
Old 05-06-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mrplow123456
Alright well I did some research a while back and yes wrapping headers will keep in more heat then any other method. But more heat also means more expansion since the heat has nowhere to go. I have no idea what kind of headers you guys use but I'm telling you that any header under 500 dollars is going to have problems within a year. It might only be one of the gaskets but why risk it? You aren't running 10's. I mean you do to your car as you will but the intake is the one to be wrapped.

On to the intake wrapping. Looks nice man. I would have gone with the jacket but that's b/c I'm lazy lol. While you had the intake tube off I hope you cleaned it and the filter thoroughly bc U never know when you're going to take them off again. Don't listen to some of these clowns flamin u, they just jealous they haven't done it yet and that they don't have blue cf hoods and trunks. How much did the wrap cost, how many layers you put on, and how much you have left?
I only wrapped it once and it only cost me 23 bucks for 2in by 50ft and i still have plenty left.. Probably enough to wrap a header which i probably wont do since im lazy
Old 05-06-2009
Registered!!

im not flaming anyone that s h i t s just getto riged and wraping the intake is nothing new anyway.ps i have a carbon fiber hood.i was just trying to explain that they make specific items for this particular application that go on easier and work better.

Last edited by lowlife9; 05-06-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-06-2009
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

The metal does not expand as much you think and it won't ruin a header and if you have it wrapped properly and tight enough you won't get any moisture in cause all the moisture will bake out in the first three days of running the car and you headers will stay nice and dry.

Oh and my megan header cost all of something like 125 new had it on for 3 years no problems or leaks and it was wrapped within 2 months of purchasing it.

They are metal pipes you not going to hurt them unless you take a hammer to it.lol

expansion rates lol a header is the last thing you worry about with expansion rates of metal.
Old 05-06-2009
Registered!!

^^ lol
Old 05-06-2009
Registered!!

youngjosh12 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a solution the the whole header thing: everyone just do all three, jet coat, heat wrap, then jackets. but then no one could argue the metal expansion problem XD jk

As far as the intake being wraped, its different, I've seen it done, somewhere I read one time that the intake pipe could crack when heatwrapped? Idk, maybe I never actually saw that. But it adds a lil flare, and you can always tell the girls it adds some ponies, haha.
Old 05-06-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by youngjosh12
i have a solution the the whole header thing: everyone just do all three, jet coat, heat wrap, then jackets. but then no one could argue the metal expansion problem XD jk

As far as the intake being wraped, its different, I've seen it done, somewhere I read one time that the intake pipe could crack when heatwrapped? Idk, maybe I never actually saw that. But it adds a lil flare, and you can always tell the girls it adds some ponies, haha.
hahaha
Old 05-07-2009
Registered!!

mrplow123456 will become famous soon enoughmrplow123456 will become famous soon enough

I have never heard of someone cracking a header on a civic unless it was a wrapped dp pushing around 300 hp. I'm just saying, the point is that if you are gonna wrap a low hp header to gain .5 hp if that, then you might be tempted to do it to a truck. My buddy had to replace his header on his jeep bc he wrapped it and 3 wks later a CEL came on saying something about Ho2S malfunction. He took the wrap off to look and there was a huge crack on the header from cylinders 1 3 and 4. He sent the new heat to get wrapped and same thing, only it was 1 and 4 that time. Now he has something similar to jet coat his header is solid black though and is almost cool to the touch after running.
Old 05-08-2009
Premium Member

the LX manifold cracks all the time on its own with no wraps.
Old 05-08-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
the LX manifold cracks all the time on its own with no wraps.
Ive had my header for about 4 years and havent had it crack
Old 05-10-2009
Registered!!

lx manifold is crap plus you have a cat in there. the cat will raise the exhaust temp due to the chemical reaction that is why cats have heat shield on them. but if you guys are really that worried about exhaust manis cracking get a cut off tool or a hack saw and cut the exhaust flange in between each of the runners so that when it flexes it doesn't crack.

I have had a couple differrent headers and I have wrapped all of them except the last one(wich is too long and I'm lazy). you will pick up a little something mostly just a little better response from the throtle but it might be all of 3 hp. I don't wrap to try to get extra power even though it has never hurt me. i wrap them cause it is a lot easyier to work on the car hot. I can run the car through 4 back to back autox's come off open the hood and put my hand on the header and I won't get burned and it drops the engine bay temps significantly so you are not roasting while working on the car the damm alternator gets hotter then my headers LOL!
Old 05-10-2009
Registered!!

Maybe if I ever get my exhaust made, I'll take the header off as well and wrap it quickly. lmao but is there any down side to wrapping an exhaust? Just a thought but I really don't plan on doing it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wrapped Intake Piping In Black Heat Wrap