Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Skipbarber's boost story. Latest dyno numbers..

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
Skipbarber's boost story. Latest dyno numbers..

It's been 2 years since I last dynoed and tuned my car. The first time was with my first boost setup. Which yielded expected results. At the time the mods were:

Bone stock D17a1 non vtec
Dezod EL manifold
T3 super 60 garrett turbo
SF charge pipes and FMIC
RSX-S injectors
Greddy Emanage full setup with boost sensor
Greddy profec boost control (although I was running wastegate spring pressure)
Tial wastegate
HKS SSQV
Removed cat and greddy exhaust

with this setup it produced just shy of 170 fwhp and 141 ft/tq

the dyno graph REALLY shows the limitation of the stock cam, you can clearly see where it was meant to be shifted.

Anyways, it was great for a while, finally blew a headgasket because of the emanagles inability to be reliable, not only that but I got tired of constantly trying to avoid part throttle boost. Shortly after, due to an oil leak i wasnt ever able to figure out, I spun a bearing.

I suppose this is where it escalated. I bought a junkyard motor, another D17a1 and a vtec head. I wanted to keep the lower compression non-vtec pistons, which is why i didnt go out and buy an A2 to begin with. I rebuilt the new motor to stock specs, again using an entirely stock bottom end, ARP head studs and dropped the VTEC head on with crower valve springs and retainers, new seals and a crower stage 2 boost cam.

while I was at it I picked up a Hondata Kpro and did my return fuel conversion with an aeromotive FPR and walbro fuel pump. At this point I decided that it was a good idea to keep a good thing going, so I also invested in an exedy flywheel and stage 1 clutch. Dropped it all back in. Over the past year ive been tweaking things here and there, doing some street tuning, reworking some existing components.

Added RDX 410cc injectors in place of my RSXS 310cc injectors, rewired my primary o2 sensor to a stock wideband setup to make tuning from the Kpro easy. Dropped in a new turbo (same specs, just new) and fitted it with a V-band and a much better made DP. Most recently my stock radiator sprung a leak, so I got a koyo and fitted the slim fans I already had.

Finally over the weekend a local crew was having a drive and dyno day. During the day i did as much street tuning as i could, datalogged everything and set my boost and fuel figures to perfection as much as I could before throwing it on the dyno. so without further ado:

MOST CURRENT SETUP (THIS IS TO AVOID PM's) IF YOU DON'T SEE IT, I DON'T HAVE IT.

Acura RDX 410cc injectors w/scion tC plugs
SF intercooler/custom pipes
T3 super 60 .48 a/r
HONDATA KPRO w/AEM tru-time cam gear
Defi Boost gauge
hks ssqv bov
Tial 38mm blue wastegate w/.4BAR spring
Custom SS open dump tube
Denso Iridium IK20's
AEM wideband a/f gauge
Golden Eagle Vacuum manifold
Golden Eagle Oil feed plate
Golden Eagle blue oil cap LOLZ
Dezod EL manifold jet-hot coated sterling
Custom Upper radiator hose re-route
Custom 2.5" Downpipe
Customized Moroso vented oil catch can
Vtec head swap w/custom oem solenoid and pressure switch wiring
Crower Titanium springs and retainers
ARP head studs
Exedy Stage 1 clutch
Exedy lightened flywheel
Crower stage 2 turbo cam
Slim line fans
return fuel conversion
Aeromotive FPR
Walbro 255lph HP in tank pump
OEM wideband primary o2 to AFR sensor conversion
Greddy Evo 2 cat back
Koyo racing aluminum radiator

I was expecting 220 at most..

240 whp and 209 ft/lb tq just shy of 9.5 psi keeping my AFR's considerably rich, roughly 10.5-11 AFR under any boost. I couldve easily gotten more power from leaning it out a tad bit across the range, but considering Im running a stock bottom end, Im playing it safe. at full tilt 1st and 2nd gear are useless. and my already upgraded 11" front rotors have a hard time stopping me.

Things to consider: I am an ASE certified mechanic. I am confident in my engine building and tuning abilities. I have taken the required steps to ensure proper and safe operation of my motor. Do not attempt to tune your own car if you don't know how. Never boost a car and drive it hard without a proper tune. I will not share my tune with anyone so do not ask for it.
Old 03-08-2009
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Skipbarber's boost story. Latest dyno numbers..

Hey Edwin, can I have your tune and could you PM me your mod list?
Old 03-08-2009

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

anything for you clint. If you were anyone else, youd get a PM of FAIL.
Old 03-08-2009
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

good stuff
Old 03-08-2009
Registered!!

D5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of light

Can i have your tune? i want to have a base map for my k motor?

JK!
Old 03-09-2009

Honestly though, I would bump it to 11.5 - 11.75 under boost so you're not running the risk of fouling things out from such a rich exhaust stream coming out. You'd get a little better gas mileage and since you have kpro anyway, futzing with the timing is your key to operating without detonation. IDK, I'm sure you've thought about it, but 10.5 -11 is way too rich for my girl. And I like my girls like I like my cars, a little rich and a little retarded.
Old 03-09-2009

spoken like a true man-*****. I will lean it out a tad, it's because it was a 70 degree day. it's been 40 degrees all week, then suddenly it felt like summer. in the colder weather it wasnt running that rich.
Old 03-09-2009
Premium Member

drunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of light

good numbers there, nice to see it made decent power!
Old 03-09-2009
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

do you have different tunes for winter and summer?
Old 03-09-2009
7thgen Power Maker

dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold

Nice!
Old 03-09-2009

Originally Posted by gearbox
do you have different tunes for winter and summer?
no. but the numbers change based on weather pretty easily.
Old 03-10-2009
Registered!!

Maple50175 is an unknown quantity at this point

awesome i cant wait to see my numbers. I have the best emanage tuner in the area, lets see his magic
Old 03-10-2009
Premium Member

drunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of light

I know this has been asked ubt is there any thing special to running the RDX injectors as far as making additional modifications? I have SRT-4 injectors and I am still running a little lean. Reacently upgraded the fuel pump and might go with the RDX units if it is worth it.
Old 03-10-2009
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

What are you using to tune? Sorry to thread jack maybe start a new thread stating your problems Drunkenmagnum.
Old 03-10-2009
TEIN MAN

RAZRBLD has a spectacular aura aboutRAZRBLD has a spectacular aura aboutRAZRBLD has a spectacular aura about

kpro
Old 03-10-2009
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by drunkenmagnum
I know this has been asked ubt is there any thing special to running the RDX injectors as far as making additional modifications? I have SRT-4 injectors and I am still running a little lean. Reacently upgraded the fuel pump and might go with the RDX units if it is worth it.
If you're running SRT-4 560whatever CC injectors, and running lean, why would you want 410s from an RDX?
I'd start by looking at the tune. If you have no more injector duty, then get some 680s or 750s.
Old 03-10-2009

vids coming shortly. car is down for the week, busted the downpipe causing the AFR to read lean and running rich as all hell. I also forgot my thanks.

Clint, Justin, Andy, Rob, the whole Mid-A 7thgen family and a few other members from this forum that have come and gone over the years. More than anything, when it comes to boosting a D17, you need moral support.
Old 03-10-2009

No probs Edwin, it goes both ways man. Ya'll helped out immensely during my build as well.

As far as SRT-4 injectors, they're only 430cc at stock Honda (43psi) fuel pressure and don't reach 577cc until you up the pressure to stock SRT-4 which is around 53psi.
Old 03-10-2009
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

NICE Edwin!!!!

mad props on those numbers!

I tried to rep you but it won't let me stupid site
Old 03-10-2009
Type-Race

doctor will become famous soon enoughdoctor will become famous soon enough

good to hear the vic is still going strong!
Old 03-11-2009

thanks guys.