Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

performance upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vi3tb0dia is an unknown quantity at this point
performance upgrades

i got a 98 ex coupe and i want to juice it up a bit. i already put in a AEM short ram intake and now im not sure what i should get next. i did some research and im trying to decide between a throttle body, exhaust system, or intake manifolds. wat do you guys think?
Old 02-15-2009
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: performance upgrades

I would be with Suspensions, but, that's just me.
Old 02-15-2009
Registered!!

Jdm01Em2 will become famous soon enoughJdm01Em2 will become famous soon enough

i would agree with dragon do the suspensioon first
Old 02-15-2009
Registered!!

HonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond repute

definitely suspension and then probably wheels. after that i would save for a b-series swap, but that is just my .02. post pics of your car when you get the chance.

btw, welcome to the site.
Old 02-15-2009
Registered!!

well i just got this civic a few weeks ago, and my license too..haha im on procivic.com looking at the springs but i just dont see how they would help besides giving me a smoother ride. also do any of you kno which brand i should look into?
Old 02-16-2009
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light

They give you better cornering ability along with some good tires.
Old 02-16-2009
Registered!!

lilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond repute

the lower your car is the better it handles.. and then you have the excuse to say no fat chicks because you will bottom out.. hahah but for real lower it get some nice 15's or 16's and a sweet set of tires.
Old 02-16-2009
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

^^ this guy has no idea what hes talking about lol. that is not true.

but yes get suspension for your car, IMHO it would be the mod that would most drastically change the appearance and characteristics of the car besides major engine mods.
Old 02-16-2009
Registered!!

HonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond repute

you are not going to be able to milk that much out of your motor performance wise; you will see minimal gains with basic bolt-ons. with a nice suspension set up though, your car will become a lot more fun to drive and will look a lot better too.
Old 02-16-2009
Registered!!

everyone seems to be agreeing on the same thing, so i will work on my suspension asap. does anyone know any good brands i should look into? i see skunk2's name floating around a lot and some H&R, which do you guys prefer?
Old 02-16-2009
Registered!!

lilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond repute

civicsrcool what the hell are you talkin about... i know nothing. my car handles like its on rails and doesnt ride like **** so aparently i know what im talkin about. and then you go and say that LOWERING YOUR CAR DRASTICALLY CHANGES THE APPEARANCE AND HANDLING. thats what i said. dont talk **** if you are useless.
Old 02-16-2009
Registered!!

You know that if you go too low, your handling characteristics of your car is worst than stock. I dont know too much about it, but its about the angle of the suspension or something like that.
Old 02-16-2009
Falken Master

cwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nice

for what your doing it seems you just need to get a basic set of sport springs (IMO Eibach or Tein) and upgrade your shocks/struts to like tokico or Koni. I know everyone said suspension but i wanna go into detail damnit! haha. So after you lower it say 1-1.5" get a front strut tower brace and rear sway and tie bar.

Also i agree with honcivic02, def go for a b16 or b18 swap since your stuck with the SOHC setup like most of us are. If you really want power, do the suspension do a catback and save your cash and go turbo
Old 02-16-2009
Falken Master

cwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nice
Smile Re: performance upgrades

Originally Posted by vi3tb0dia
everyone seems to be agreeing on the same thing, so i will work on my suspension asap. does anyone know any good brands i should look into? i see skunk2's name floating around a lot and some H&R, which do you guys prefer?
I recommend my setup its a step up from a basic setup
Tokico Illumina Shocks/Struts and Tokico Springs
http://www.robearracing.com/pd_tokico_illumina.cfm

Then strut bar (front)
http://www.robearracing.com/pd_skunk2_front.cfm
Old 02-16-2009
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

i say suspension or save for turbo or a b series swap.
Old 02-16-2009
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DDragon7
You know that if you go too low, your handling characteristics of your car is worst than stock. I dont know too much about it, but its about the angle of the suspension or something like that.
your correct on that, same reason why lowered evos handle worse then stock ones.
Old 02-16-2009
Registered!!

wellllll guys if you lower it correctly taking into consideration camber angles and toe you can go low and still ride nice and not eat tires. and if you are good at alignments you can give yourself a little negative camber to help with the cornering and some toe to help it track a little better. my car is sitting on a pair of tenzo springs and stock honda struts, with the skunk 2 front upper control arms and i made my own rear camber kit... i love the ride and it handles like a champ.. i cant wait to start auto cross in a month.
Old 02-16-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lilmidget08
wellllll guys if you lower it correctly taking into consideration camber angles and toe you can go low and still ride nice and not eat tires. and if you are good at alignments you can give yourself a little negative camber to help with the cornering and some toe to help it track a little better. my car is sitting on a pair of tenzo springs and stock honda struts, with the skunk 2 front upper control arms and i made my own rear camber kit... i love the ride and it handles like a champ.. i cant wait to start auto cross in a month.

i wasn't trying to imply you were wrong. Hondas come as 4x4's anyways, so lower the center of gravity helps. But you need a balance.
Old 02-17-2009
Registered!!

temjinx2 i have no problem with what you said it was that civicsrcool moron who came in posted one time taking **** and then we havent heard from him since. i just cant stand stupid people. i put a lot of time and effort into my suspension and it is amazing so i just wanted to input some of what i experienced so we all can learn, but then this clown comes talkin **** with nothing to back it up. anyway
Old 02-17-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by cwo715
I recommend my setup its a step up from a basic setup
Tokico Illumina Shocks/Struts and Tokico Springs
http://www.robearracing.com/pd_tokico_illumina.cfm

Then strut bar (front)
http://www.robearracing.com/pd_skunk2_front.cfm
the links were useful cause before i wasn't sure what i was looking for but now I'm feeling more confident. the tokiko springs look pricey. I'm a senior in high school and I don't think I could afford to get the "top" quality stuff now. on www.procivic.com I was considering these

springs
http://www.procivic.com/pages-produc...327/index.html

strut tower bars
http://www.procivic.com/pages-produc...682/index.html

and maybe some coilovers (im not sure if i should or not..)
http://www.procivic.com/pages-main_p...coilovers.html

and on temjinx2's response.. turbo is again a bit pricey and a b-series swap doesnt sound too bad, its just that are the gains from a b-series worth it?
tell me what you guys think.
Old 02-17-2009
Registered!!

the links were useful cause before i wasn't sure what i was looking for but now I'm feeling more confident. the tokiko springs look pricey. I'm a senior in high school and I don't think I could afford to get the "top" quality stuff now. on www.procivic.com I was considering these

springs

strut tower bars

and on temjinx2's response.. turbo is again a bit pricey and a b-series swap doesnt sound too bad, its just that are the gains from a b-series worth it?
trust me, big different between sohc honda engines and dohc honda engines. You won't feel any noticeable power with bolt ons. Save and get at least a b16 which can be found for pretty cheap or a b18c1.
Old 02-18-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TemjinX2
trust me, big different between sohc honda engines and dohc honda engines. You won't feel any noticeable power with bolt ons. Save and get at least a b16 which can be found for pretty cheap or a b18c1.
i think i'll try and find a b20, the thing is.. i dont kno where to find them! am i suppose to buy another car and swap the motors or should i buy it off someone? and do you guys think i should still get the suspension stuff first or skip right to the b-series?
Old 02-19-2009
Registered!!

this is a question about tein s-tech lowering springs, is it just me or are there 2 different versions of it? i've seen pictures of all 4 springs being the same height and width and i've seen pictures with 2 of them being same height and width and the other 2 being wider. im not sure which to get, they both say they lower the same amount..but something doesnt seem right
here are links
http://i24.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/f9/ea/80d3_1_sbl.JPG
http://www.robearracing.com/pd_tein_...ivic_96-00.cfm
Old 02-19-2009
Registered!!

this is a question about tein s-tech lowering springs, is it just me or are there 2 different versions of it? i've seen pictures of all 4 springs being the same height and width and i've seen pictures with 2 of them being same height and width and the other 2 being wider. im not sure which to get, they both say they lower the same amount..but something doesnt seem right
here are links
http://i24.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/f9/ea/80d3_1_sbl.JPG
http://www.robearracing.com/pd_tein_...ivic_96-00.cfm
Old 02-19-2009
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

i think you should get suspension first. i think you would enjoy the suspension and stock motor more vs. you just having the engine and no suspension mods. but thats just me. you can find a nice selection of engines from HMO. http://www.hmotorsonline.com/

lilmidget. you said the lower your car is the better it handles which is not true as everyone else said. its like saying a bagged civic laying frame will out handle another civic with a decent suspension and ride height. and yes your right that alignments are key in the handling/balance of the car. i dont see why you are following me around the forum and talking **** about my posts but if you wanna do that be my guest lol. it only shows how what kind of person you are. i like this forum and i try to help people here because they do the same for me. your not helping anyone when you post things like that. and your car does not handle like a champ if you have tenzo r springs, stock struts and no aftermarket anti roll bars. lol..
end rant

Last edited by civicsrcool; 02-19-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-19-2009
Registered!!

i have the stock sway bar up front and i put the si sway bar in the rear. and i work for honda so i drive hundreads of these things (and lots of them are modded to) and compared to the **** i drive at work my car is beautiful and anyone i have ever driven in my car always has something to say about how low my car is how nice it still rides and how well i can take exit ramps at over 50 mph depending on the ramp with no tire squeel or anything. look im not here to argue either but you started it with your comment. and im not following you around the forum it just happens that i dis agreed with what you said on that other page.
Old 02-21-2009
Registered!!

EMK20a2 will become famous soon enoughEMK20a2 will become famous soon enough

Do the suspension like others have said. Koni yellows with GC coilovers seem to be the setup of choice for your car. Keep the front sway bar stock or even remove it and swap to a really big one on the rear (22+mm). It does not really matter what type, but some are adjustable others are not, go with a name brand though, no ebay crap. Then do strut tower bar, front and rear (yes rear ST bars actually do something on EM1s), again name brand.

Above all the most important thing is alignment, to do the alignment you will need a front and rear camber kit. For the front I prefer the plates because adjusting from the top is always better, but for what you are looking for the bolts would be just fine. The rear you will need an ingals or other like brand camber kit. For a fun street setup I would go -1.5 front camber -.8 rear camber. 1/16th out toe on each front for 1/8th total toe out and zero toe in the rear. If you do alot of highway driving you may just want to do zero toe in the front also. Again you can put the greatest suspension on the car, but a bad alignment will make it worse than stock.
Old 02-22-2009
Falken Master

springs

strut tower bars

motor is a D16Y8 im assuming? anyways the skunk2's are gonna settle you out at 2 - 2.5" so watch out for that, the strut tower brace well all strut braces are the same really just a bar that goes from left strut to right etc. Coilovers would be nice but they are pricey id have to recommend gettings BGs or D2s off the forum maybe honda-tech or something has them running in a thread. When a spring says it lowers 2" it usually settles out a little more than that.