Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

EVO IX or EVO X

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008
7thgens official a$$hole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
EVO IX or EVO X

So after a nice 5 year run with the Civic it is time for my baby to go. I'm also selling my R6. And I have made the decision to get my EVO that I always wanted.

I can get a mint 2006 EVO IX with less than 20,000 on it for around $24,000 or get the new EVO X for $32,000. Reguardless my down payment is going to be about $15,000 and I have excellent credit so I'm not worried about the extra finance charges.

I have driven both. The IX seems faster in excelleration than the X, but in all reality the X is a bit faster, but it is just more of a streetable everyday car than the IX.

The X is nicer all around and the style has grown on me. But the cash I would save would be nice to do some minor mods to a IX (CF hood, trunk, spolier, splitter, rims, system, and most likely DP/Exhaust).

I love the outside of the IX, but the X's power and handleing is better, and the interior jsut destroys it.

FYI either one will be getting an FQ360 ECU swap, because the US EVO is a very tunned down version of the UK FQ360. I can get the ECU for the IX for $700 and the X for $900 shipped and flashed.

Last edited by ajhdragon; 10-13-2008 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-13-2008
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
Re: EVO IX or EVO X

And please nobody say get an STi, I don't liek the new STi's at all in anyway, nor the style previous to it. And do not want to get an 04 because it is to old.
Old 10-13-2008
just a man with a civic

sicma99ot is a glorious beacon of lightsicma99ot is a glorious beacon of lightsicma99ot is a glorious beacon of lightsicma99ot is a glorious beacon of lightsicma99ot is a glorious beacon of lightsicma99ot is a glorious beacon of light

i did some reading and somewhere i read the X is not as reliable as the IX. but im with you, the X is more stylish than the IX.
Old 10-13-2008
just a man with a civic

sicma99ot is a glorious beacon of lightsicma99ot is a glorious beacon of lightsicma99ot is a glorious beacon of lightsicma99ot is a glorious beacon of lightsicma99ot is a glorious beacon of lightsicma99ot is a glorious beacon of light

either way im still ganna be getting an X
Old 10-13-2008
7thgens official a$$hole

I dont see how the X is less reliable than the IX. they both have the same Turbo MIVEC powerplant and drive line.
Old 10-13-2008
just a man with a civic

it was modified mag, april 2008 issue. i had to go look for it before i said anything because i didnt want to give the wrong info.

but from what it says the X doesnt handle mods well unless you sleeve the block.

sorry, my bad. so i guess the IX is more mod friendly than the X.
Old 10-13-2008
Registered!!

supafil25 will become famous soon enough

evo 8 or 9 > 10

tehy are sexier then the new evo
and so many more parts availabe.

plus all you need a intake exhaust boost controller and a tune and ur makin way more power
Old 10-13-2008
7thgens official a$$hole

I'm going for something that is a little more street freindly not an HP monster. And with the FQ360 ECU its already a whole hell of a lot more powerful than the Standard EVO GSR or MR. And best of all its all factory tunned.

I don't want a heavily modified car for an every day ride. I want something that I don't have to do anything to and have great power. I would only do the exhauast and dp for the sound and look.
Old 10-13-2008
Registered!!

mrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of light

8<9<10... evo 8's tranny sucks ***, car enthusiasts still prefer the 9 over the 10. evo 9 still faster in the straight line but the new 10 handles better. like you i love the new evo 10 look.

this picture made me want to get one

Old 10-13-2008
7thgens official a$$hole

I actually like the way the EVO IX looks over the X. But I like everything else about the EVO X better. The ride is smoother, it handles better, the interior is quieter roomier and has more niceitys.
Old 10-13-2008
Registered!!

mrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of light

if i were you i would say forget the evo's and buy a rx-7
Old 10-13-2008
Registered!!

joe6680 will become famous soon enoughjoe6680 will become famous soon enough

I would never buy a used car like the STI or EVO, think about the people who buy these kinda cars. They are not little old ladies who go to church on Sunday, even though the car only has 20k miles, its prob the hardest 20k miles a car can be driven and there's really no way to tell if the car is "mint". Wax and cleaners can do wonders. I would rather spend a little more for the peace of mind knowing that the car was treated right. It also seems that you can afford either the IX or the X and you like the X a little better anyways, so to me it seems like a no brainer, but that's just my .02
Old 10-13-2008
7thgens official a$$hole

Originally Posted by mrtrinh
if i were you i would say forget the evo's and buy a rx-7
Yeah because a 10 year old RWD 2 seater rotary sports car is really comparable to an AWD turbo 4 cylinder sedan.

Plus an RX-7 on a for a daily car in St.Louis with horrible winters is a great idea. Plus I hate the rotary engine. I mean it is great engine until you have to work on it.
Old 10-13-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
slowwhitecivic will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by joe6680
I would never buy a used car like the STI or EVO, think about the people who buy these kinda cars. They are not little old ladies who go to church on Sunday, even though the car only has 20k miles, its prob the hardest 20k miles a car can be driven and there's really no way to tell if the car is "mint". Wax and cleaners can do wonders. I would rather spend a little more for the peace of mind knowing that the car was treated right. It also seems that you can afford either the IX or the X and you like the X a little better anyways, so to me it seems like a no brainer, but that's just my .02
he basically narrowed it down for me
Old 10-13-2008
Registered!!

redrocket600 has a spectacular aura aboutredrocket600 has a spectacular aura aboutredrocket600 has a spectacular aura about

If you want looks...the X is definetly where it's at but if it were me, I'd get the IX and MOD MOD MOD!
Old 10-13-2008
Registered!!

DaSilverCivic will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by joe6680
i agree 100% - you took the words right out of my mouth
Old 10-13-2008
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad you made this post bc I'm in the same boat of my own. I own a 2003 civic and thinking about picking up a used Evo IX. As for the comments above you can certainly find a mint evo that has not been beaten up. Plenty of adult owners out there that take care of their cars and use it just to commute to work. Right now I'm leaning towards the IX over the X. I prefer the IX interior and overall dynamics of the car. I have not test driven the X yet and may do that soon so I can finalize my decision.
Old 10-13-2008
Registered!!

sethro is an unknown quantity at this point

I have always liked the Evo IX

Just looks so much smaller + meaner

Old 10-13-2008
Registered!!

joe6680 will become famous soon enoughjoe6680 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DaSilverCivic
i agree 100% - you took the words right out of my mouth
It must be a NJ thing haha.
Old 10-13-2008
Type-Race
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

doctor will become famous soon enoughdoctor will become famous soon enough

I agree with Joe to a certain extent. If you are close to the seller, you can go over to inspect it yourself or take it to a mechanic for a compression or leakdown test.

As for between the two, the X would be the better buy with the better handling right out of the box and comparable power, and I've heard it responds very favorably to mods. However, being the first year production model, I'd wait it out for the revised model next year.

Personally, now is a tricky time to go and buy a car. Make sure your finances are in clear order. The car market is in a big downturn so you may get favorable loan rate.....good luck!
Old 10-14-2008
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all

Evo 9 > Evo 10.

10 has 2 many issues right now.
also look at this http://www.motortrend.com/av/roadtes...son/index.html

read up also
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html
Old 10-14-2008
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

if you can afford the evo x then i say get the x. The X is a overall better car. You can do mods later on if your not happy with the speed.
Old 10-14-2008
7thgens official a$$hole

I'm not looking for a car to do alot of mods to at all. Maybe a few exterior mods and exhaust. I've had the heavily modded car for my whole life. First a 350+whp 87 GTA, then the civic thats had about 4 lives with the diffrent mods I have done to it.

I want something nice simple and that dosent need modifications.
Old 10-14-2008
Jp7
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jp7 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an IX (381whp) and it is a MUCH better car than the X. It would take a 500whp X to keep up with my IX.
Old 10-14-2008
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with you AJHdragon. Not looking to mod just want a car built for performance that I can have fun with on weekends and drive me to work Mon-Fri. So the consensus is that the Evo X although handles better must be pushed to the limit to really bring out the best of the car; however, the IX is still faster in terms of laptimes on a track. I like the rawness of the IX and it seems like a more fun car to drive.
Old 10-14-2008
Jp7
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jp7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ronaldo9
So the consensus is that the Evo X although handles better
Totally disagree, the car is softer and sluggier than my IX was when it was stock.
Old 10-14-2008
Registered!!

SSMCivic2k5 has a spectacular aura aboutSSMCivic2k5 has a spectacular aura aboutSSMCivic2k5 has a spectacular aura about

i still like the IX over the X, but like you said X's style has grown on me too.... looks pretty sick if done right.
Old 10-14-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Jp7
Totally disagree, the car is softer and sluggier than my IX was when it was stock.
That's good to know, I was just going based on the reviews I've seen and read. I've test driven the IX and I really need to test drive the X to compare.
Old 10-14-2008
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

here's a review on the evo x vs evo ix. The evo x is overall a better car. Its a more grown up version for daily driving, with the 30gb hdd, bluetooth, navi and other comforts. How many times are you going to be taking it on the track for 1/4 times?

More then likely, probably only once or twice a year.

The evo X can still take out probably 90% of the cars on the street anyways in stock form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lii_pDGCkE8
Old 10-14-2008
Registered!!

Oh this wouldn't be for a drag strip im into road courses and I've done 11 track days this year on my bike alone.

Quick Reply: EVO IX or EVO X