Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Painted interior plastics, Awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008
A long winded 7th genr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute
Painted interior plastics, Awesome!

I painted my interior plastics today. I've been wanting to do this for a really long time. I finally found a spray can that worked perfectly. The paint is Krylon fusion for plastic. It's formulated to stick to plastic without any prep or primer!

Although I didn't take a picture of it, I wiped down all of the pieces with a wax and grease remover. Which is essential for insuring that there isn't any dirt or grim on whatever you're about to paint. Always clean before you paint!

Here's a picture of some of the pieces I painted.

In this picture, you can see the one of the left is not painted, versus the one on the right, is painted with black satin.

And then here are two pieces painted completely.

The Satin black paint matches perfectly to the stock dash board. The painted pieces have a bit of a shine to them, so the dashboard only matches when you armor all it. That's ok though. Usually mine is.

It's kind of strange though. When you compare the dash board to the black pieces, you see that the top half of the dash board is actually dark dark grey, and the bottom half is black. I wonder if it has anything to do with sun exposure. Anyway, If you have a black interior, DO THIS MOD!!! it's CRAZY how much better it looks. After you do it, you think holy crap! why didn't Honda make it like this is the first place? My theory is that with the lighter color pillars and roof, it tricks you into thinking there's more headroom I donno.

The paint cost like 6 bucks, worth every penny.

It's too dark out to take pics of them installed, but if anyone wants to see some I'll snap a few later this week.

And then here's a teaser picture for my upcoming project which should be done by next weekend:

(Hint: I already did them red, but I'm going to re-do it with different paint.)

Last edited by Eyger; 09-07-2008 at 11:50 PM.
Old 09-07-2008
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
kcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to all
Re: Painted interior plastics, Awesome!

krylon fushion is the best - i paint my filter intake tubes in all of my fish tanks
Old 09-07-2008
Registered!!

DX5spd is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats sweet, let me know how well that paint holds up to like scratches and stuff, I want to paint mine but my car gets used alot usually with other people in the car so if i do paint the interior it needs to be resistant to scratching. Also how much did you spray and how many cans did you use.
Old 09-07-2008
Registered!!

JDUB05 is an unknown quantity at this point

paint hasnt held up the best on my door panels and I used grease remover on mine before painting...starts to chip but holds up good enough
Old 09-07-2008
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute

The Can says that it will paint 25 square feet on a non porous surface. I just bought one can for all those pillar plastics. I would say that I gave it about 2 to 3 coats. It covers really well because it's black, and because the gray is also a dark color. Although I also did light coats, to keep the satin look. You could probably do everything in one coat, but it might turn out shinier then if you did lighter coats.
Old 09-07-2008
A long winded 7th genr

JDUB05, you're suggesting that it doesn't hold up so well. Mayb on the door panels themselves where they get touched alot it won't hold up, but DX5spd, if you paint the pillars Im sure that it'll hold up just fine, because you don't really touch the pillars, at least for me I don't touch them like ever.
Old 09-07-2008
Registered!!

DX5spd is an unknown quantity at this point

Sweet I'll have to give it a try. I tried some other stuff on my door panel as a test to see how it held up but with everyone that gets in and out of my car especially being only two door the panels can get roughed up. Back seat is being stripped out soon
Old 09-07-2008
Registered!!

dj_cronic_metal will become famous soon enoughdj_cronic_metal will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't try it. Door panels and so on it doesn't last.
Old 09-07-2008
This is Myspace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

I'd like to see some pics of it in the car if you dont mind, thanks.. looks good from what I see..

Should there be some kind of protective coating you should be putting on it? For the sun or whatever, I dont know.
Old 09-07-2008
A long winded 7th genr

^ Yeah I'll take pictures tomorrow if the sun comes out.

You could put a clear coat over it if you wanted to. To protect it more, but in this case I'm not going to because I want to keep it 'satin' not glossy.
Old 09-07-2008
Registered!!

RallyeRedRider has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Originally Posted by Eyger
JDUB05, you're suggesting that it doesn't hold up so well. Mayb on the door panels themselves where they get touched alot it won't hold up, but DX5spd, if you paint the pillars Im sure that it'll hold up just fine, because you don't really touch the pillars, at least for me I don't touch them like ever.
Agreed.

I painted the entire interior of my truck with this stuff. Changed it from gray to black. It holds up well most places. But it's easy to scratch off if you hit it with something, or wear through in high traffic areas. But for the pillars it would work perfectly.

I also want to see some pics!!
Old 09-08-2008
Registered!!

filipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of light

nice so far...would like to see pics also of them installed. for the guys that are wondering if its worth doing... if you want a black interior and not the blackish/grayish interior then i think this is the way to go since its only $6 or so. pretty much what i'm saying is that its cheaper than bringing it to some shop and getting them to do it and it end up chipping regardless of what type of paint they use. anyways, just thought i would put my 2 cents in.
Old 09-08-2008
skate or die

Tragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to all

Cool, thnx for sharing. Do you like painted door panels more than cloth?