Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

painted my rotors!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
painted my rotors!

what do you think? just finished the second side yesterday. now i got the drums to do next week (with spray paint). i took the wheels off, used a rust dissolver gel to take out all the nasty layer of rust, then used sandpaper to roughen the metal parts. Finally, i put on two coats of duplicolor caliper paint with an art brush. you can barely see any brush marks even up close. and so far they are not getting messed up from the heat. heres a pic. i think it looks a ton better than having it rust colored lol.

Last edited by gearbox; 04-11-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-11-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rednek is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: painted my rotors!

Nice. Takin the snows off last week got me thinking about trying something like that. Where'd you find that rust dissolver? Just any auto parts store?
Old 04-11-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

they're probably gonna start chipping sooner or later... mine did =[

not much, but a lil... i did the same method as you..
Old 04-11-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

ya i know, just wanted something better looking for now. i could always do some touch ups or just redo it later.
Old 04-11-2008

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

^well after a while, brake dust just superglues itself on...even if u wash it... mine looks more grayish than glossy like it use to...

but its hell of a lot better than seeing nasty rust...at least now its subtle...
Old 04-11-2008
Premium Member

thats dumb, i thought the paint says resists brake dust. hmm. oh well so long as it doesnt rust. i dont care if its glossy.
Old 04-11-2008
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

i think as long as you keep them clean, and prevent the brake dust from accumulating, the paint will outlast the rotors. just a little extra effort every time you wash your car goes a long way. and from what i know about you, you were probably already thinking this.
Old 04-11-2008
Premium Member

yeah im at the carwash every few days.
Old 04-11-2008
Registered!!

ciVictoria will become famous soon enoughciVictoria will become famous soon enough

Gearbox has to keep the car fresh. Thinking about painting my rotors and drums pretty soon also good simple mod.
Old 04-11-2008
Registered!!

twiztedD17A1 is just really nicetwiztedD17A1 is just really nicetwiztedD17A1 is just really nicetwiztedD17A1 is just really nicetwiztedD17A1 is just really nice

Rotors??? u mean calipers? If u were to paint the rotors it would most likley light on fire.
Old 04-11-2008
Premium Member

wel thats what i did, and yes they get very hot, i was worried when i smelled burning paint, but now the smell is gone and theyre fine. calipers still looked nice so i left em stock. you can see in the pic, i painted the lip of the rotor and not the actual place where the pad moves over lol. and a good trick is put the car in neutral with handbrake up so you can turn the hub around while painting. that way you dont have to remove the caliper at all.

Last edited by gearbox; 04-11-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-11-2008
Registered!!

ciVictoria will become famous soon enoughciVictoria will become famous soon enough

yeah i also meant calipers looking at gearbox's thread title messed me up
Old 04-12-2008
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

Originally Posted by twiztedD17A1
Rotors??? u mean calipers? If u were to paint the rotors it would most likley light on fire.
if you buy prepainted rotors, you install them as is and burn the paint off the rotor surface as part of the break-in procedure.
Old 04-12-2008
You VTEC...I-VTEC

sniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rednek
Where'd you find that rust dissolver? Just any auto parts store?
phosphoric acid...it will actually turn the rust into a primer and then you can paint away

its a green chemical...smells like ***
i always buy it at home depot...about $10-15
http://www.42gpw.com/acid.html

gearbox....you have an insane post count

Last edited by sniperscout; 04-12-2008 at 02:31 AM.
Old 04-12-2008
Registered!!

j.steimer04 will become famous soon enough

Niiice!
Old 04-12-2008
Registered!!

rednek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sniperscout
phosphoric acid...it will actually turn the rust into a primer and then you can paint away

its a green chemical...smells like ***
i always buy it at home depot...about $10-15
http://www.42gpw.com/acid.html

gearbox....you have an insane post count
Thanks man. I think I may have some of that now that I think about it. Gotta fix a few rust spots on my drivers side door.
Old 04-12-2008
Registered!!

Maple50175 is an unknown quantity at this point

what pain't did you use..
Old 04-12-2008
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light

Will the phosphoric acid eat paint? Should we issue a paint warning before someone just starts using this to stop rust?

Or is it safe for paint?
Old 04-12-2008
Premium Member

not sure if its safe on paint. i am gonna try it on my big rust spot cause i think using sandpaper will hurt the surrounding paint even more lol. i bought the rust dissolver from advance, its a pink gel you brush on and let it sit, it fizzes and makes the rust disappear. you gotta keep doing it for a while tho and let it sit until most or all the rust goes away. i used the duplicolor black caliper paint kit that came with a liquid can you mix and then brush on. it looked and smelled like rubber cement/liquid electrical tape.
Old 04-12-2008
You VTEC...I-VTEC

sniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of light

it doesnt actually hurt paint...but i am not sure if it will dull up the clear coat...best to be safe and not get it on anything visible.
Old 04-14-2008
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sniperscout
it doesnt actually hurt paint...but i am not sure if it will dull up the clear coat...best to be safe and not get it on anything visible.
Like my shoes?
Old 04-14-2008
You VTEC...I-VTEC

are your shoes rusty?
Old 04-14-2008
Registered!!

Mr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the rough

i dont get it....
Old 04-14-2008
You VTEC...I-VTEC

oh well

but that reminds me...dont let this stuff get on your clothes..it does the same thing as bleach
Old 04-14-2008
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light

Hey Gear, looking good, I did that last year. Painted the lip on the rotors and the calipers. Then for the drums I just used gloss black tremclad brush on paint instead of the expensive dupicolor (save that for the rotors and calipers). So far the tremcladed drums are still glossy with no rust after one winter. I have tried spray paint for the back, and everyone I know of that did it, the spray paint doesnt last, not here anyways, it will rust right back up or chip off by next year. I would recommend something brushed on, if anyone is gonna use tremclad, the drums will have to be off for at least a day for it to dry.
Old 04-15-2008
Premium Member

well im really bad with a brush lol, maybe i will spray on a few coats of the paint and hope for the best. its still not very warm and i need to find a day thats not so windy. i dont want paint flying all over. and my fronts are already chipping around where the edge of the pad goes, so there are some small rust spots. but it still looks okay.
Old 04-15-2008
You VTEC...I-VTEC

i used a rustoleum black and put like 3 coats on the drums...it has lasted for almost 2 years now no chips and still glossy
same for the front calipers
Old 04-15-2008
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light

I've had no problems with the dupicolor brush on paint or the tremclad. No brush marks for either. Especially the tremclad, it seems to smooth itself out when I let it sit.
Old 04-15-2008

Originally Posted by gearbox
thats dumb, i thought the paint says resists brake dust. hmm. oh well so long as it doesnt rust. i dont care if its glossy.
thats what i though too. but mine apparently has brake dust on it.
Old 04-16-2008
I sure wish my car was newer

white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light

Only on a Civic site are there threads about painting your ****in' rotors.