Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   painted my rotors! (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/306536-painted-my-rotors.html)

gearbox 04-11-2008 06:36 PM

painted my rotors!

what do you think? just finished the second side yesterday. now i got the drums to do next week (with spray paint). i took the wheels off, used a rust dissolver gel to take out all the nasty layer of rust, then used sandpaper to roughen the metal parts. Finally, i put on two coats of duplicolor caliper paint with an art brush. you can barely see any brush marks even up close. and so far they are not getting messed up from the heat. heres a pic. :cool: i think it looks a ton better than having it rust colored lol.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4...orpaint-01.jpg

rednek 04-11-2008 06:50 PM

Re: painted my rotors!

Nice. Takin the snows off last week got me thinking about trying something like that. :rockon: Where'd you find that rust dissolver? Just any auto parts store?

sl33pyriceboi 04-11-2008 07:00 PM

they're probably gonna start chipping sooner or later... mine did =[

not much, but a lil... i did the same method as you..

gearbox 04-11-2008 07:06 PM

ya i know, just wanted something better looking for now. i could always do some touch ups or just redo it later.

sl33pyriceboi 04-11-2008 07:32 PM

^well after a while, brake dust just superglues itself on...even if u wash it... mine looks more grayish than glossy like it use to...

but its hell of a lot better than seeing nasty rust...at least now its subtle...

gearbox 04-11-2008 07:53 PM

thats dumb, i thought the paint says resists brake dust. hmm. oh well so long as it doesnt rust. i dont care if its glossy.

skipbarber 04-11-2008 08:01 PM

i think as long as you keep them clean, and prevent the brake dust from accumulating, the paint will outlast the rotors. just a little extra effort every time you wash your car goes a long way. and from what i know about you, you were probably already thinking this.

gearbox 04-11-2008 08:57 PM

yeah im at the carwash every few days.

ciVictoria 04-11-2008 09:41 PM

Gearbox has to keep the car fresh. Thinking about painting my rotors and drums pretty soon also good simple mod.

twiztedD17A1 04-11-2008 09:46 PM

Rotors??? u mean calipers? If u were to paint the rotors it would most likley light on fire.

gearbox 04-11-2008 10:28 PM

wel thats what i did, and yes they get very hot, i was worried when i smelled burning paint, but now the smell is gone and theyre fine. calipers still looked nice so i left em stock. you can see in the pic, i painted the lip of the rotor and not the actual place where the pad moves over lol. and a good trick is put the car in neutral with handbrake up so you can turn the hub around while painting. that way you dont have to remove the caliper at all.

ciVictoria 04-11-2008 10:34 PM

yeah i also meant calipers looking at gearbox's thread title messed me up

skipbarber 04-12-2008 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by twiztedD17A1 (Post 4306847)
Rotors??? u mean calipers? If u were to paint the rotors it would most likley light on fire.

if you buy prepainted rotors, you install them as is and burn the paint off the rotor surface as part of the break-in procedure.

sniperscout 04-12-2008 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by rednek (Post 4306800)
Where'd you find that rust dissolver? Just any auto parts store?

phosphoric acid...it will actually turn the rust into a primer and then you can paint away

its a green chemical...smells like ass
i always buy it at home depot...about $10-15
http://www.42gpw.com/acid.html

gearbox....you have an insane post count

j.steimer04 04-12-2008 11:08 AM

Niiice!

rednek 04-12-2008 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by sniperscout (Post 4306896)
phosphoric acid...it will actually turn the rust into a primer and then you can paint away

its a green chemical...smells like ass
i always buy it at home depot...about $10-15
http://www.42gpw.com/acid.html

gearbox....you have an insane post count

Thanks man. I think I may have some of that now that I think about it. Gotta fix a few rust spots on my drivers side door.

Maple50175 04-12-2008 12:29 PM

what pain't did you use..

pheaton 04-12-2008 04:22 PM

Will the phosphoric acid eat paint? Should we issue a paint warning before someone just starts using this to stop rust?

Or is it safe for paint?

gearbox 04-12-2008 04:26 PM

not sure if its safe on paint. i am gonna try it on my big rust spot cause i think using sandpaper will hurt the surrounding paint even more lol. i bought the rust dissolver from advance, its a pink gel you brush on and let it sit, it fizzes and makes the rust disappear. you gotta keep doing it for a while tho and let it sit until most or all the rust goes away. i used the duplicolor black caliper paint kit that came with a liquid can you mix and then brush on. it looked and smelled like rubber cement/liquid electrical tape.

sniperscout 04-12-2008 11:21 PM

it doesnt actually hurt paint...but i am not sure if it will dull up the clear coat...best to be safe and not get it on anything visible.

pheaton 04-14-2008 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by sniperscout (Post 4307122)
it doesnt actually hurt paint...but i am not sure if it will dull up the clear coat...best to be safe and not get it on anything visible.

Like my shoes?

sniperscout 04-14-2008 07:50 PM

are your shoes rusty?

Mr_Plenty 04-14-2008 09:21 PM

i dont get it....

sniperscout 04-14-2008 09:30 PM

oh well

but that reminds me...dont let this stuff get on your clothes..it does the same thing as bleach

DDragon7 04-14-2008 09:50 PM

Hey Gear, looking good, I did that last year. Painted the lip on the rotors and the calipers. Then for the drums I just used gloss black tremclad brush on paint instead of the expensive dupicolor (save that for the rotors and calipers). So far the tremcladed drums are still glossy with no rust after one winter. I have tried spray paint for the back, and everyone I know of that did it, the spray paint doesnt last, not here anyways, it will rust right back up or chip off by next year. I would recommend something brushed on, if anyone is gonna use tremclad, the drums will have to be off for at least a day for it to dry.

gearbox 04-15-2008 08:01 PM

well im really bad with a brush lol, maybe i will spray on a few coats of the paint and hope for the best. its still not very warm and i need to find a day thats not so windy. i dont want paint flying all over. and my fronts are already chipping around where the edge of the pad goes, so there are some small rust spots. but it still looks okay.

sniperscout 04-15-2008 08:53 PM

i used a rustoleum black and put like 3 coats on the drums...it has lasted for almost 2 years now no chips and still glossy
same for the front calipers

DDragon7 04-15-2008 11:41 PM

I've had no problems with the dupicolor brush on paint or the tremclad. No brush marks for either. Especially the tremclad, it seems to smooth itself out when I let it sit.

sl33pyriceboi 04-15-2008 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by gearbox (Post 4306818)
thats dumb, i thought the paint says resists brake dust. hmm. oh well so long as it doesnt rust. i dont care if its glossy.

thats what i though too. but mine apparently has brake dust on it.

white2K2EX 04-16-2008 11:02 AM

Only on a Civic site are there threads about painting your ****in' rotors.