Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

downshifting question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nice
Re: downshifting question

Yeah, you can downshift to whichever gear will keep you under redline and to make the shift smooth you have to "blip" the throttle. Blipping the throttle just means press the clutch pedal, then tap the throttle to get the rpm up to about where they need to be for the gear your downshifting to; then engage the clutch.
Practice that and what im saying should make itself clear shortly. It is great for fast downshifts where your tooling along in a high gear and suddenly you need to downshift and go in a hurry.
Old 03-19-2008
Registered!!

bluecivic_19 is a jewel in the roughbluecivic_19 is a jewel in the roughbluecivic_19 is a jewel in the roughbluecivic_19 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by beadebaserr
do you drop your clutch every time you take off from a stop?
noob question again, what the hell is dropping the clutch is that when the clutch is not pressed down? and whats riding the clutch, to many dumb lil' words
Old 03-19-2008
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute

There is nothing wrong with downshifting or skipping gears. Although not every situation warrants either, when I drag, I trap at the top of 4th gear at about 8 grand, once I get down to about 5, I drop to 3d gear, its necessary and no it doesn't kill your transmission, you don't even have any load on it....
Old 03-19-2008
Registered!!

Murderjetz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bluecivic_19
noob question again, what the hell is dropping the clutch is that when the clutch is not pressed down? and whats riding the clutch, to many dumb lil' words
I'm not totally sure but I think dropping the clutch is just depressing the clutch really fast, instead of slowly easing off it, like you should.
Old 03-19-2008
Registered!!

Alex857 has a spectacular aura aboutAlex857 has a spectacular aura aboutAlex857 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by bluecivic_19
Dropping the clutch is like..rev it up, and then dump the clutch lol. like let off really fast, dont like ease your way out, just dump it lol. Its bad, especially for out little cv shafts, and the fact that your car will hate your life lol.

And riding the clutch, like, when your driving along dont have the clutch pedal half way down, and also dont have your foot resting on the pedal because pressure gets exerted onto the pedal, and therefor makes you "ride" the clutch.

And yes, it is hard to get used to, but it makes the car more drivable whe nyour are able to blip the throttle between gears while downshifting. I couldnt do it when i first started, but i do it all the time now haha. And i like to hear my intake suck anyways lol

Last edited by Alex857; 03-19-2008 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-19-2008
Rough, Tough, Real Stuff.

Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold

Like Andyman said, there's really nothing wrong with skipping gears. Skipping gears without rev-matching, yes, that's very bad. Lots of undue stress on the drivetrain, from the CV shafts to the pressure plate. You should always revmatch when downshifting, just to prolong clutch life.
Old 03-19-2008
I Hunt Goats, Rams, And Mustangs.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of light

I dont know why i just read threw this thread.. i just sort of laughed at all the comments yall have been leaving...

In all actuality down shifting isn't bad for your transmission(just puts a little more wear and tear on the clutch) but really isn't a proper technique if your learning to drive. What happens when you do that is you put a load on the drive train which in turn actually breaks the traction off of the tires. In effect this can cause loss of control of your car. However for those who road race, knowing the proper heal toe procedures helps eliminate this occurrence. By revving up the motor to match the Rpm of the transmission you relive some of the shock that is placed on the drive train, in turn saving your clutch, as well as eliminating loss of traction and allowing you to stay in the proper power band for the applied application.

ehh but what do i know...
Old 03-19-2008
Registered!!

beadebaserr will become famous soon enoughbeadebaserr will become famous soon enough

also i'd like to mention that stock clutches are pretty tolerant to abuse.
Old 03-19-2008
I Hunt Goats, Rams, And Mustangs.

TransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by beadebaserr
also i'd like to mention that stock clutches are pretty tolerant to abuse.
LOL thats a good one! they are virtually they are just a organic clutch, really cant tolerate a lot of heat.
Old 03-19-2008
Registered!!

Alex857 has a spectacular aura aboutAlex857 has a spectacular aura aboutAlex857 has a spectacular aura about

^^ditto on that one. But in your other post, you basically just clarified what everyone else said lol.
Old 03-19-2008

Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold

Haha you guys need to read through this thread:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...oderators.html
Old 03-19-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

as long as you rev-match you can shift to any gear you want from any gear your in
Old 03-19-2008
You Stay Classy, San Diego

jamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nice

so heres another question about downshifting that you guys can try to answer do most of you gear down when coming to a stop or just pop it in neutral let off the clutch and just coast? I used to gear down and now im in the habit of poppin it in neutral and coastin out. I figure this takes a lot of wear off of the clutch. Im not sayin i do it for all stops but when i know i have to stop i do it. My dad tried to tell me its bad but i think if anything its good. Especially for clutch and transmission life.
Old 03-19-2008
Registered!!

Murderjetz is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that going into neutral and hitting the brake is kinda hard on your brakes. it's like going into neutral in an automatic and breaking, there's nothing slowing you down except for your brakes. if you stay in "drive", the transmission is also assisting in slowing you down. Same thing with manual transmission, if you break while still in gear, it spreads the stress across the entire drivetrain as well as your brakes.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't hurt the transmission at all to downshift as long as you rev match. I guess you end up using the clutch a little more, but as I understand it, it's better to use your clutch a little more than to be using your brakes a lot more.
Old 03-19-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by colourwolf
noone mention Rev match?

If you rev match before u downshift, nothing hurts except you burnt more gas.

let say it is 1800RPM when u are going 60km/h @ 5th gear, now you want to downshift to 4th gear. Notice that @4th gear,the engine speed will be higher in order to go at the same speed. So you clutch in---->rev to 2000RPM----->downshift from 5th to 4th gear--->release the clutch.

If you do it right, u can even dump the clutch and will not feel anything.
look at post #10 dude... i even bolded it and made it red
Old 03-19-2008

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jamis33
so heres another question about downshifting that you guys can try to answer do most of you gear down when coming to a stop or just pop it in neutral let off the clutch and just coast? I used to gear down and now im in the habit of poppin it in neutral and coastin out. I figure this takes a lot of wear off of the clutch. Im not sayin i do it for all stops but when i know i have to stop i do it. My dad tried to tell me its bad but i think if anything its good. Especially for clutch and transmission life.
no one i know (as well as myself) downshifts in order to come to a stop (lets say going to a red light)

i just pop it in nutral and coast the way...and if the light turns green before i stop, i just shift it in a lower gear that is suitable and goooooo......

ur not an automatic, you dont needa shift down when ur bout to stop....
Old 03-19-2008
Registered!!

ONE7thREBUILT has a spectacular aura aboutONE7thREBUILT has a spectacular aura about

I've got a suggestion for someone to try, let me know how it works for you. When your the first person at the light hold the clutch in put it in first then hit the gas until you start banging off the rev limiter and let the clutch out as fast as you can.
Old 03-19-2008
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ONE7thREBUILT
I've got a suggestion for someone to try, let me know how it works for you. When your the first person at the light hold the clutch in put it in first then hit the gas until you start banging off the rev limiter and let the clutch out as fast as you can.
I do, my rev limiter is at 4k. When I let off, i get a little wheelspin and get thrown back into my seat, next thing I know, I hit 8k and shift to 2d without letting off the throttle and continue until about 150+

And I downshift when coming to stops as well. I've probably had the most abused transmission out of anyone that's ever had a d17 tranny and it lasted me almost 6 years.
Old 03-19-2008
Registered!!

ONE7thREBUILT has a spectacular aura aboutONE7thREBUILT has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by andyman97
I do, my rev limiter is at 4k. When I let off, i get a little wheelspin and get thrown back into my seat, next thing I know, I hit 8k and shift to 2d without letting off the throttle and continue until about 150+

And I downshift when coming to stops as well. I've probably had the most abused transmission out of anyone that's ever had a d17 tranny and it lasted me almost 6 years.
Thats slightly unfair, I was looking for the 6-8K range in neutral on a nearly bone stock D17, K20 or whatever else for that matter.
Old 03-19-2008

So when you're in neutral and WOT, fuel cut-off is at 4K? I've never heard of that before...
Old 03-19-2008
Turbo Guru

No. At a stop, my rev limit is 4k. My fuel doesn't shut off when I shift.
Old 03-19-2008
Turbo Guru

Originally Posted by ONE7thREBUILT
Thats slightly unfair, I was looking for the 6-8K range in neutral on a nearly bone stock D17, K20 or whatever else for that matter.
There is no 8k on a stock d17, unless you mis shift.
Old 03-19-2008
Registered!!

There is no 8k on a stock d17, unless you mis shift.
Cool...I've never tried it, but I was just looking for the range of 6-8K.
Old 03-19-2008

No. At a stop, my rev limit is 4k. My fuel doesn't shut off when I shift.
Oh OK, yeah, that's what I meant. I'm guessing that's a function of the ECU and it just changes the cutoff when the Vehicle Speed Sensor is at 0?
Old 03-19-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Unevolved
Oh OK, yeah, that's what I meant. I'm guessing that's a function of the ECU and it just changes the cutoff when the Vehicle Speed Sensor is at 0?
Hack the ECU and do whatever you like.
Old 03-19-2008
Turbo Guru

That's kpro and its called a 2-step rev limiter.
Old 03-19-2008

^you guys forget andy is fully boosted and has total control over his ECU (basically)
Old 03-20-2008

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
^you guys forget andy is fully boosted and has total control over his ECU (basically)
No I know he's boosted and has Kpro, I just didn't know it was possible to do a two-phase rev-limiter.
Old 03-20-2008
Registered!!

Yeah the new v6 mustangs are like that lol my bud has one. And btw..can you say off topic? Lol
Old 03-20-2008
Registered!!

waterman1971 is an unknown quantity at this point

clutch>brakes

Quick Reply: downshifting question