New Kid on the block - Honda Civic Forum

Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

New Kid on the block

Reply

 
 
 
Old 01-07-2008
  #1  
Registered!!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Age: 30
Posts: 47
Rep Power: 0
07civiclx is an unknown quantity at this point
New Kid on the block

Hey wats up? I'm new to car modding and am a newb at it. Here is my car, it's stock all for now, but once I get more money then I'm gonna add at least a cold air, OR short ram, I'm still not sure on which is better. Here are a few pictures.









So tell me what you think, it's an LX sedan; and I'm damn proud of the color..haha.
07civiclx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008
  #2  
Registered!!
 
J Casanova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Age: 29
Posts: 151
Rep Power: 135
J Casanova will become famous soon enoughJ Casanova will become famous soon enough
Re: New Kid on the block

nice car! i kinda like the color lol. it doesnt go well with the gray wheels (hub caps?) but if you get some bronze or gold rims it would look good
J Casanova is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008
  #3  
Registered!!
 
D16Z6_owner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 105
Rep Power: 0
D16Z6_owner is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New Kid on the block

Nice 8th gen. i wash those things every day. should have got the si but its still nice
D16Z6_owner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008
  #4  
Banned
iTrader: (7)
 
greeen01civic4d's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: southern Illinois
Age: 36
Posts: 3,186
Rep Power: 0
greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold
Re: New Kid on the block

i wouldnt want to mod that thing, there is almost no room in the engine bay, love the color tho, im curious to see what rims would go well with it, good luck and welcome to the site, and please, use the search button in the future, itll save u flaming and hassle
greeen01civic4d is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008
  #5  
Registered!!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Age: 30
Posts: 47
Rep Power: 0
07civiclx is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New Kid on the block

Originally Posted by greeen01civic4d View Post
i wouldnt want to mod that thing, there is almost no room in the engine bay, love the color tho, im curious to see what rims would go well with it, good luck and welcome to the site, and please, use the search button in the future, itll save u flaming and hassle
Yea I know bout searching I read it in the before you post post. Yea the bay is really frickin small and I've already got a frickin cheap bendable cold air intake and I'm like where the hell you put this thing? Thanks by the way, I love the color too. The rims I'm not gonna get til I save up much much more and get my school money. I'd probably go with black or some golden color, and maybe spoke wheels, so you can see the innards, and change the brake pads to red. Also now I know mine is an 8th gen; pretty cool.
07civiclx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008
  #6  
Registered!!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Age: 30
Posts: 47
Rep Power: 0
07civiclx is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New Kid on the block

Originally Posted by D16Z6_owner View Post
Nice 8th gen. i wash those things every day. should have got the si but its still nice
I would've to have loved the si but it was a graduation present and wanted to keep the monthly down to like 230 or 220/mo. But ended up paying 20k for it after title/taxes/registration and wut not.
07civiclx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008
  #7  
Registered!!
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Age: 28
Posts: 45
Rep Power: 0
Jopa3804 should not be trustedJopa3804 should not be trusted
Re: New Kid on the block

Originally Posted by 07civiclx View Post
I would've to have loved the si but it was a graduation present and wanted to keep the monthly down to like 230 or 220/mo. But ended up paying 20k for it after title/taxes/registration and wut not.
awsome have fun with it lol
Jopa3804 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008
  #8  
Registered!!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Age: 30
Posts: 47
Rep Power: 0
07civiclx is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New Kid on the block

ya'll got any tips on what I should get as far as increasing horsepower? There's small engine space but, I really wanna get more horsepower in there cuz it's weak as ****...some of y'all know that.
07civiclx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008
  #9  
Registered!!
 
mrbanhbao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: seattle
Posts: 475
Rep Power: 150
mrbanhbao has a spectacular aura aboutmrbanhbao has a spectacular aura about
Re: New Kid on the block

Cold air intake is a start.
mrbanhbao is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008
  #10  
I wil fix vBPlaza today
iTrader: (2)
 
LT2004ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Age: 32
Posts: 3,470
Rep Power: 214
LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all
Re: New Kid on the block

K20 go CAI
LT2004ever is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008
  #11  
Registered!!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Age: 30
Posts: 47
Rep Power: 0
07civiclx is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New Kid on the block

Originally Posted by LT2004ever View Post
K20 go CAI
Remember I not next to nothing about cars, so I guess just google k20 by cai? or?
07civiclx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008
  #12  
Registered!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 28
Posts: 70
Rep Power: 134
em2.kid will become famous soon enough
Re: New Kid on the block

Ignore him k20 is not cheap at all, and he is talking about swapping the engine out.
em2.kid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008
  #13  
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.
iTrader: (17)
 
speedfoos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Age: 42
Posts: 5,187
Rep Power: 0
speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New Kid on the block

Nice car. Be interesting to how well these FGs take to mods or not. Travis was telling you to swap a K20 (Civic Si) engine into it. Travis' Civic is also dropped on fat chicks.

So you're saying there's even less space in the engine bay than a 7th gen? Wow. Welcome to the site by the way.
speedfoos is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008
  #14  
Registered!!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Age: 30
Posts: 47
Rep Power: 0
07civiclx is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New Kid on the block

Originally Posted by speedfoos View Post
Nice car. Be interesting to how well these FGs take to mods or not. Travis was telling you to swap a K20 (Civic Si) engine into it. Travis' Civic is also dropped on fat chicks.

So you're saying there's even less space in the engine bay than a 7th gen? Wow. Welcome to the site by the way.
Thanks for the tip, haha; I'm not paying to swap it for an si engine, I'm a starving college man hahaha. Thanks for the welcome to the site. Later I'll post a pic of the engine bay, you'll probably drop your jaw...There is literally no room for anything But where there's a will, there's a way.
07civiclx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008
  #15  
Registered!!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Age: 30
Posts: 47
Rep Power: 0
07civiclx is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New Kid on the block

by the way speedfoos, sanderson just subscribed to your videos (that's me)
07civiclx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008
  #16  
Registered!!
iTrader: (4)
 
civic-driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 29
Posts: 439
Rep Power: 175
civic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Kid on the block

get the weapon-r race header i have no idea why they call it that but as long as you dont have emissions testing your good to go. its just one pipe thats long and replaces your cat. i know it sounds like a test pipe but the way the 8th gens are set up thats how it is straight off the engine block.

magnaflow also makes an catback exhaust for your car and you can hear it here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTncN...eature=related
the posted said it sounds deeper in person but ya just another idea
also greddy makes a catback that you can hear with the previous mentioned header here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZchQ...eature=related

other than that the usual companies make a Cold air intake meaning AEM . Injen and K&N i believe

just a few ideas and welcome to the site

also
civic-driver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008
  #17  
Registered!!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Age: 30
Posts: 47
Rep Power: 0
07civiclx is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New Kid on the block

ok check these out









That's my engine.
07civiclx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008
  #18  
Jza
Registered!!
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ottawa
Age: 28
Posts: 338
Rep Power: 141
Jza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the rough
Re: New Kid on the block

What you're looking for is basic bolt on low HP modifications, I feel you.

Here's the run down. A lot of people update their exhaust to give the engine more breathing power, a full exhaust swap could be rather costly and will not give you more then 10 extra ponies and costs probably 800$ (if we're talking a full swap).

Then there is the option of cold and short ram intakes. A cold air intake is a custom fit piping that replaces the stock airbox and sucks air from the lower part of the engine bay (near the bumper). The downside with a CAI is that you risk hydrolock (water coming into the engine). AEM does have bypass valves to avoid this, it's worth looking into. A well done CAI will give you maybe 15 horse power for maybe 2-300$, if you go with a good brand. A short ram intake is almost the same as a CAI but it does not go as low to the ground as a CAI, thus, it does not deliver cold air to the engine, you get ambient engine air, less horspower as well, maybe 10hp at 1-200$?

Next you can look into headers, this falls along the line of a full exhaust swap. You can also look into ECU chips, ECU swaps, etc.

What you really wana' watch out for is eBay scams, etc. Just think of it this way, if there was a cheap, efficient way to add a considerable amount of horsepower to an engine, don't you think it would come stock? Real horsepower comes from turbos (6k and up), engine swaps (again, high thousands). People who are selling these modifications will drop crazy numbers and promise horsepower gain, don't read into it. You're off to a good start posting on this site, a lot of really smart people on this forum who will help you spot the not.

Also, you're a student and you're paying for gas, a lot of these modifications COULD reduce milleage, espetialy the computers and chips, that kinda' ****.

Anyone feel free to but in and correct me on pricing or horse power, I just dropped what I felt is right.

Last edited by Jza; 01-08-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Jza is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008
  #19  
Diamond Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: MD
Age: 27
Posts: 1,071
Rep Power: 0
Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light
Re: New Kid on the block

thats an R-series engine
Envy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008
  #20  
Registered!!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Age: 30
Posts: 47
Rep Power: 0
07civiclx is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New Kid on the block

Originally Posted by Jza View Post
What you're looking for is basic bolt on low HP modifications, I feel you.

Here's the run down. A lot of people update their exhaust to give the engine more breathing power, a full exhaust swap could be rather costly and will not give you more then 10 extra ponies and costs probably 800$ (if we're talking a full swap).

Then there is the option of cold and short ram intakes. A cold air intake is a custom fit piping that replaces the stock airbox and sucks air from the lower part of the engine bay (near the bumper). The downside with a CAI is that you risk hydrolock (water coming into the engine). AEM does have bypass valves to avoid this, it's worth looking into. A well done CAI will give you maybe 15 horse power for maybe 2-300$, if you go with a good brand. A short ram intake is almost the same as a CAI but it does not go as low to the ground as a CAI, thus, it does not deliver cold air to the engine, you get ambient engine air, less horspower as well, maybe 10hp at 1-200$?

Next you can look into headers, this falls along the line of a full exhaust swap. You can also look into ECU chips, ECU swaps, etc.

What you really wana' watch out for is eBay scams, etc. Just think of it this way, if there was a cheap, efficient way to add a considerable amount of horsepower to an engine, don't you think it would come stock? Real horsepower comes from turbos (6k and up), engine swaps (again, high thousands). People who are selling these modifications will drop crazy numbers and promise horsepower gain, don't read into it. You're off to a good start posting on this site, a lot of really smart people on this forum who will help you spot the not.

Also, you're a student and you're paying for gas, a lot of these modifications COULD reduce milleage, espetialy the computers and chips, that kinda' ****.

Anyone feel free to but in and correct me on pricing or horse power, I just dropped what I felt is right.

Hey thanks for the tips man, I did know about the drop in mileage if you upgrade some stuff, I was into car modding in 7th grade but dropped it because I had no use for it [That's right around the time Fast & The Furious came out too ]
07civiclx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008
  #21  
Registered!!
iTrader: (3)
 
WgnrNick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SoYoCO, PA
Age: 29
Posts: 416
Rep Power: 137
WgnrNick will become famous soon enoughWgnrNick will become famous soon enough
Re: New Kid on the block

Looks good! I'm not to into the color tho. Best of luck with it and make sure to update us with pictures when you add something new.




Wagner
WgnrNick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008
  #22  
New Mod on the Block
iTrader: (35)
 
Rennen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: North Miami Beach, FL
Age: 31
Posts: 3,474
Rep Power: 230
Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Kid on the block

Originally Posted by Envy View Post
thats an R-series engine
exactly what i was going to say. and its doesnt have a header. the collectors are in the block and theres a single pipe that goes to the exhaust. even with an intake and exhaust, you're probably not going to make very much extra power. you may feel it more in the top end, but you'd also be losing torque because of the loss of back pressure. theres no way an exhaust is going to give you 10hp, nor is an intake going to give you 15hp. B and K series motors dont even respond that well to bolt ons.

Last edited by Rennen; 01-08-2008 at 11:58 PM.
Rennen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008
  #23  
Jza
Registered!!
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ottawa
Age: 28
Posts: 338
Rep Power: 141
Jza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the rough
Re: New Kid on the block

I was basicaly dropping the numbers they drop. Agreed, they were probably all 5-10hp unrealistic.
Jza is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008
  #24  
Registered!!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Age: 30
Posts: 47
Rep Power: 0
07civiclx is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New Kid on the block

Originally Posted by civic-driver View Post
get the weapon-r race header i have no idea why they call it that but as long as you dont have emissions testing your good to go. its just one pipe thats long and replaces your cat. i know it sounds like a test pipe but the way the 8th gens are set up thats how it is straight off the engine block.

magnaflow also makes an catback exhaust for your car and you can hear it here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTncN...eature=related
the posted said it sounds deeper in person but ya just another idea
also greddy makes a catback that you can hear with the previous mentioned header here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZchQ...eature=related

other than that the usual companies make a Cold air intake meaning AEM . Injen and K&N i believe

just a few ideas and welcome to the site

also
Hey how about this kit?

http://www.procarparts.com/store-det...=onlinestoreDB
07civiclx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008
  #25  
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.
iTrader: (17)
 
speedfoos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Age: 42
Posts: 5,187
Rep Power: 0
speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New Kid on the block

You got plenty of room in that bay if you get rid of the stock air box and put the battery in the trunk.

That air intake looks just as good as any, although the latest thing is the AEM dry flow filters. They've been proven to filter out more crap, cost the same, and flow the same as an oiled filter (like the K&N). Troll through Ebay to get an idea of what you should be paying. Tubing is tubing, it's the filter that matters to keep your engine safe.
speedfoos is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008
  #26  
7th Gen Photographer
iTrader: (2)
 
LogicWavelength's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Atlantic City, NJ
Age: 34
Posts: 952
Rep Power: 189
LogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of light
Re: New Kid on the block

The best thing an R series is for is a place holder for a K.
LogicWavelength is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008
  #27  
Registered!!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Age: 30
Posts: 47
Rep Power: 0
07civiclx is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New Kid on the block

Originally Posted by speedfoos View Post
You got plenty of room in that bay if you get rid of the stock air box and put the battery in the trunk.

That air intake looks just as good as any, although the latest thing is the AEM dry flow filters. They've been proven to filter out more crap, cost the same, and flow the same as an oiled filter (like the K&N). Troll through Ebay to get an idea of what you should be paying. Tubing is tubing, it's the filter that matters to keep your engine safe.
You know I'll have to check the AEM out, I know they're a very good brand; also how the hell would I move the battery to the trunk? Oh yea, I do have emissions testing by the way for whoever said about the catback exhaust. And if i take out the stock air box, I would either put a turbo in there (which is out of the question) or a cold air intake?
07civiclx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008
  #28  
Registered!!
iTrader: (1)
 
Curiouz_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: VA/MD/DC area
Posts: 2,550
Rep Power: 197
Curiouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really nice
Re: New Kid on the block

ive worked on those before, its a real bitch to do anything in the engine bay.
Curiouz_G is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008
  #29  
Registered!!
iTrader: (4)
 
civic-driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 29
Posts: 439
Rep Power: 175
civic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Kid on the block

i would have to agree with speedfoos that piping is piping and aem seems the best bet as of lately with the dryflow filters just because its the easiest to clean and maintain and is around the same price.

As far as i know most exhausts wont kill your emissions but it can get a noise ticket if its too loud.an aftermarket header in your case can effect emissions however. im not sure how strict your emissions are in your area but i know some people just put the stock header back on if they are tested every year or two and then put there aftermarket one back on.

i also want to note that i use the term header loosely because im not really sure what to call it on your car but that is most likely what you will find them on the internet as. also i wanted to state that normally i would recommend using a high flow catalytic converter just to be environmentally friendly but there isnt one made for your car yet and im not sure what kind of space there is in there to make a custom one.
civic-driver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008
  #30  
Registered!!
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Age: 28
Posts: 45
Rep Power: 0
Jopa3804 should not be trustedJopa3804 should not be trusted
Re: New Kid on the block

Realisticly the only thing that will give you a significant amount of power would be a turbo.But like you said thats out of the question. My suggestion to you would be to get just somthing like a greddy muffler and an aem intake.because of the fast that you have emisions test i wouldent recomend you to get headers or anything like that.After get an aem cam gear (I felt a difference when i put mines in),get an msd ignition thats about all you can do to get alittle more power.If you dont mind waisting alittle more gas do your fuel system ex. fuel rail,pump,injectors feed line.

My two cents.Go ahead and corect me if im wrong cuz i know im not a pro or anything
Jopa3804 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Kid on the block


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.