engine noises? - Honda Civic Forum

Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-23-2007   #1
Registered!!

mrbanhbao has a spectacular aura aboutmrbanhbao has a spectacular aura about
engine noises?

i dont know if you guys heard it before. but my civic after i drive it around and park it. there's like noises and clinking sounds coming from the front of the car. not sure if its from the engine or suspension. any clue anyone?
mrbanhbao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #2
Registered!!

briand17a2 has a spectacular aura aboutbriand17a2 has a spectacular aura about
Re: engine noises?

1) check all fluids!!

2) If the sounds are random, its probably the suspension.
3) If the sounds are periodic, see if they stop when you are sitting still. If this is the case, it could be due to the wheels -> alignment issue, wheel/tire imbalance, etc...putting strange forces on your suspension, leading to some kind of suspension noise.
4) If the sounds continue after stopping the car, shift into park or neutral, set the parking brake, and slowly bring the RPM up from idle to ~3000 or so, or until you hear the sounds. If it happens somewhere in the rpm range, and/or gets louder with increased RPM, stop what you're doing, kill the motor, and think about taking it in, or doing a teardown & inspection (if you have the time/money/experience/etc).
5) If you dont hear anything after revving the motor, see if the sounds only occur while in motion. If they do, but they stop after letting off the accelerator and letting the car coast for a couple hundred feet, it could be either motor or transmission.

Can you post some more descriptive information about the sounds you're hearing? Eg, knocking, pinging, ringing, metallic sounding, scrape, bang, etc... it know it sounds dumb but unless you record the sounds its making and post them up here or on youtube, its hard to isolate the problem. Good luck sir.
briand17a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #3
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Good post noob. Have some rep for that and your Fallout avvie.
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #4
Registered!!

ryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to all

If it makes you feel any better my engine is not silent. It almost sounds like a slight tapping but when I hit the gas it goes away. It is an idle sound. Like the noob said though, fluid levels are the first thing to check. 3 1/2 of 5w-20 is all it takes i beleive. Could you record a clip?
ryox82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #5
Registered!!

mdawg is on a distinguished road

He said when he parks it though...not when he drives it. As far as I know every car and engine makes that tapping noise as it is cooling down.
mdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #6
Registered!!

ryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to all

That's what i am talkin about mdawg. The only engine I saw that didnt do that or just not as loud was from my friends Caddy.
Old 12-23-2007   #7
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

maybe its just the valves ticking.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #8
Registered!!

wheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nice

If the noise is a ticking noise after you shut the car off and are walking away then it is just your catalytic converter cooling down.
wheelspinLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #9
RHCP0801 is my hero

1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute

i got that too, its with every car its normal
1sykcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #10
Registered!!

12345678910 is an unknown quantity at this point

i got a rattle at about 3k with very slight throttle

its really annoying...
12345678910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007   #11
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

prolly the exhaust hitting the rear sway bar, or a heat shield vibrating, or an ac hose rattling on neuspeed upper strut bar on the right side.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007   #12
Registered!!

yeah its not when im moving, its when i park it. and i think the clicking sound is from the engine cooling down and then sometimes i hear the springs just goes " DING " ... so i guess i rough it too much. i dont think its anything with my fluid.
Old 12-24-2007   #13
Registered!!

briand17a2 has a spectacular aura aboutbriand17a2 has a spectacular aura about

Have you greased any of the chassis fittings recently? If you've got polyurethane bushings all abouts the internals and let them dry out, they can start to squeak...but if you have metal to metal contact during shutdown/cooldown, maybe a spring is getting caught just long enough while things are contracting that it eventually breaks free and makes a sound like that...?

Rolling to a stop for eventual shutdown, this is usually what I hear:
1) brake pad-rotor wear, sometimes a little squeal right before stopping,
2) The whole car makes noise as the brake induced load transfer returns aft, a little squeal coming from the front region of the car.
3) Valvetrain idle chatter.
4) After shutdown, RPM dropping to zero
5) The hissing of the idle air control valve as the intake manifold repressurizes through the bypass.
6) Intermittent but relatively quiet "crinklies" from the exhaust system till everything is at ambient.

If we've ruled out imminent rapid catastrophic part failure, then I bet a little lithium grease film or HP chain lube would at least quiet down the suspension-to-frame noises. There's always the possibility that the particular type of grease you choose to use could end up degrading the rubber or whatever-the-crap its all made of, so be sure the can/tube says its all good.
briand17a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007   #14
Technical Assistant

ultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond repute

Check that your VTEC fluid is at proper level
ultimatetuner10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007   #15
Registered!!

Devin Eaton is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice post noob and Im with ryox82 my car isnt silent and ive tore it down and inspected also it might be the clutch slave cylinder ive had one give me trouble but nothing seriouse.
Devin Eaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007   #16
Registered!!

oK Devin, we can now remove the title noob from him and simply call him brian. Besides, he has more posts than you lol.
Old 12-29-2007   #17
Registered!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryox82 View Post
oK Devin, we can now remove the title noob from him and simply call him brian. Besides, he has more posts than you lol.
post count doesnt really matter.. im on this site quite regularly, have been coming on this site a year longer than you, but only have 100 something posts...
Old 12-29-2007   #18
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345678910 View Post
post count doesnt really matter.. im on this site quite regularly, have been coming on this site a year longer than you, but only have 100 something posts...
Jesus...who really ****ing cares how long you've been lurking on the site. Post count is reflection of your contribution to the site, unless you're a serious post *****. The site needs more active members. Not lurkers who never contribute.
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007   #19
Registered!!

lol ok clint got to it first. No further discussion needed. I just didn't think it was right to be calling someone a noob anymore when he is obviously helpful
Old 12-30-2007   #20
Registered!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfoos View Post
Jesus...who really ****ing cares how long you've been lurking on the site. Post count is reflection of your contribution to the site, unless you're a serious post *****. The site needs more active members. Not lurkers who never contribute.

and who really cares how long someones been putting there 2 cents on every thread? im not just going to say "looks good" to every picture blah blah, that doesnt mean **** all.
Old 12-30-2007   #21
Registered!!

You must not have been following clint much. He has been documenting his entire process with his turbo setup. He has even taken videos and posted them up. You don't get much more helpful than that....This right here is childish and is not contributing ANYTHING. Lets just keep it to the subject at hand....if you can help, than help. If not, then leave it be and maybe learn something from someone else. Being nasty to regulars (read active regualrs) here isn't going to get you anywhere.
Old 12-30-2007   #22
Jza
Registered!!

Jza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the rough

this noise is normal, I always here that small little ticking the first few seconds my car is parked and turned off. It could be anything.

Checking the VTEC fluid level might be a good idea, to do this, remove the orb cover, if your VTEC orb isn't glowing, take your car to the nearest Honda dealership.
Jza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #23
Registered!!

joe6680 will become famous soon enoughjoe6680 will become famous soon enough

Yep it's normal. It's the metal retracting back to its original shape after being expanded due to heat. If its excessive then check the fluids to make make sure all levels are normal. Since most of the fluids in a car are designed to keep things within normal operating temperatures, the lack of fluid could allow parts to heat up beyond normal causing the metal to expand more thus making this noise more prominent. Its a good idea to check fluid levels in a car regularly anyway. Hope this helps.
joe6680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #24
Jza
Registered!!

Jza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe6680 View Post
Yep it's normal. It's the metal retracting back to its original shape after being expanded due to heat. If its excessive then check the fluids to make make sure all levels are normal. Since most of the fluids in a car are designed to keep things within normal operating temperatures, the lack of fluid could allow parts to heat up beyond normal causing the metal to expand more thus making this noise more prominent. Its a good idea to check fluid levels in a car regularly anyway. Hope this helps.
...or it's the VTEC orb?!
Old 12-30-2007   #25
Registered!!

lol @vtec fluid and orbs. I'll have to remember to get those things if i do an EX head swap.....:-P
Old 12-31-2007   #26
Jza
Registered!!

make sure you update your Camshaft gremlin aswell.
Old 12-31-2007   #27
Registered!!

haha man there's so much possibilities. but i know its nothing with the vtec kus i dont haVe vtec.haha. ima check all my fluids level tomorrow. thanks u guys. NO MORE DRAMAS guys. we're all mature now yeah?
Old 12-31-2007   #28
Jza
Registered!!

NO VTAC?! DERS DA PROBLEM.

there is no problem, this noise is normal, bad engine noises are BAD noises, not little ping sounds. If there was a serious fluid leak, you'd see a puddle under your car.

If you're so worried, take your car into a competant shop for a 21 point inspection. Even the best of mechanics can't diagnose this type of problem without hearing the sound, all we're giving you is our best guess.

My car makes small noises when it's shut off as well, while your engine is running, there are explosions going off left to right, gona' make some sounds for sure.
Old 12-31-2007   #29
Registered!!

yea theer's only noises after i shut off my car. and park it. sad huh . no vtec.
Old 12-31-2007   #30
Registered!!

D16Z6_owner is an unknown quantity at this point

its the exhaust manifold contracting faster than the clyinder head while cooling down
D16Z6_owner is offline   Reply With Quote