Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Building a N/A D17A2

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
warpax is an unknown quantity at this point
Building a N/A D17A2

Hello All,

I have been doing a great deal of research about swapping the D17A2 cylinder head onto my 2005 LX. The LX has a D17A1 cylinder head (no VTEC). I found a really good deal on a complete D17A2 engine which I am picking up tomorrow. Basically I plan on building a naturally aspirated (N/A) D17A2 engine over the next little while and will then swap it into the car. I am looking for input on all components that I should be building the new A2 engine with. At this point I plan on using the LX ECU for the swap and adding a VAFC2 to tune the fuel and VTEC. I have a V2 intake and Vibrant Performance Catback for the A2. I will need to buy a header, and a front pipe (including convertor). In terms of internal engine parts, I plan on Crower Stage 1 or 2 N/A (undecided), as well as crower valve springs and retainers. Since I will have a complete long block to work from, I would even consider adding new pistons, connecting rods, etc. So any ideas/recommendations you have are certainly appreciated in terms of what header, cat, cam, pistons, etc I should use.

Look forward to reading your responses,

Warren
Old 01-12-2007
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
Get ready for a lot of criticism and smart *** comments...

Good luck with your build man!
Old 01-12-2007
omgwtfbbq mod.

spoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to all
^What he said.

Dont use the LX ECU. Use the EX ecu for it to work properly. Honestly, if you want to build it up, go turbo...there are a ton more options.
Old 01-12-2007
Registered!!

EM2 Shinobi is an unknown quantity at this point
As far as cams go I have heard that on D17's the real gains dont really kick in untill stage 3 cams are used (and of course valvetrain updgrades), I havnt cammed myself so I couldnt tell you from experience but I've heard this about a few people that went turbo as well, just something to consider.
Old 01-12-2007
Registered!!

ricergribbs is an unknown quantity at this point
grats on dropping 10g's and getting about 160hp if you're lucky...
Old 01-12-2007
Banned

2k3civicSSM is an unknown quantity at this point
dont waste your time
Old 01-12-2007
Banned

2k3civicSSM is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by ricergribbs
grats on dropping 10g's and getting about 160hp if you're lucky...
what he said
Old 01-12-2007
Registered!!

speedingslowly will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 2k3civicSSM
what he said
third this, go turbo if u want excess of 200 whp
Old 01-12-2007
Registered!!

EM2 Shinobi is an unknown quantity at this point
I would vote for turbo or K20a NA
Old 01-12-2007
Registered!!

lxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the rough
This can be done but so much money goes into it that its not worth it.
Old 01-12-2007
Registered!!

mr.rowdy is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah prepare for everyone being a critic,, Good luck on the build man
Old 01-12-2007
Registered!!

Matteo will become famous soon enough
hey Warren, im doing the exact same thing... i got a 2005 civic LX and am doing a EX head swap and header swap. I have a short-ram and magnaflow cat-back, also unorthodox pullies.

For the cam, u def. want to go stage 2 from crower because stage 1 isnt gonna really give any gain. At least thats what i hear. SO, with the stage 2 u need the spring/retainer upgrade kit from crower for it to work.

Dont listen to these other guys, i mean of course its not gonna give as much gain as a turbo, but its better than stock...and if do research and find cheap parts, etc., it wont be too expensive. But you will end up getting in the turbo range as compared with money... lol so ya, except u can do 1 thing at a time, instead of dumping all ur money at ounce into a full turbo kit and tuning.
Old 01-12-2007
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Matteo
hey Warren, im doing the exact same thing... i got a 2005 civic LX and am doing a EX head swap and header swap. I have a short-ram and magnaflow cat-back, also unorthodox pullies.
and how much did u gain? 3 ponies?
Old 01-12-2007
Registered!!

^ i dont care what u think, i love the mods i have and the mods i plan on doing. I raced a stock 04 coupe and owned it by like 6-7 car lengths and im a auto so ya is it worth it? well yes for me. Im not looking for 180hp like a turbo...just better than stock, so i can have a little fun.

And make it look good.
Old 01-12-2007
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
Old 01-12-2007
Registered!!

lol y is that? n/a mods are reliable and dont need maintanence or anything. He isnt just asking about ex head swap and cam, he wants to know about pistons and other parts.

the right parts and tuning + nitrous will give good gains.
Old 01-12-2007
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
Well, a) there's a lot of just bitching in this thread, and b) i'm pretty sure this has all been covered before. maybe he should make friends with the search button, or just pm you, as you seem to be the only one helping him.
Old 01-12-2007
Registered!!

speedingslowly will become famous soon enough
hey buddy we arent trying to be mean, we are trying to save time, theres a reason that 90% of the people on here will tell you the same thing, u dont get big numbers out of a sohc 4 banger, u only spend big numbers.
Old 01-12-2007
Registered!!

Curiouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really nice
Originally Posted by Matteo
^ i dont care what u think, i love the mods i have and the mods i plan on doing. I raced a stock 04 coupe and owned it by like 6-7 car lengths and im a auto so ya is it worth it? well yes for me. Im not looking for 180hp like a turbo...just better than stock, so i can have a little fun.

And make it look good.

N/A and auto shouldnt be used in the same paragraph. Your starting with less than 90whp and your aiming for what? maybe 100whp? as for the 04coupe, if he knew how to drive stick, he shouldve killed you.
Old 01-12-2007
Registered!!

hondoer27 will become famous soon enoughhondoer27 will become famous soon enough
If you plan on dropping some money make it worthwhile

K swap!!!!!!!!
Old 01-14-2007
Registered!!

hwt101 is an unknown quantity at this point
You know what im so tired of hearing how bad the motor is when some one wants to add a little to it, i have a crower stage 1 cam, and AEm V2, and it really made the car fun to drive around in ( compared to stock ) and i still get 36+mpg. Some people just want to add a little pep to their RELIABLE car is that such a crime against humanity?
Old 01-14-2007
Registered!!

^thank you!

how much of a difference did u feel with stage 1? i think im going stage 2 w/my ex head swap and vafc2 all at ounce.
Old 01-14-2007
Registered!!

PitchBlack is just really nicePitchBlack is just really nicePitchBlack is just really nicePitchBlack is just really nice
Everyone was doggin this engine until dyno's started coming out with 375+...granted that was turbo, but what would have happened if they listened to people telling them "its not worth it"? Everything is worth it, its the experience, its the joy of working on your car, its the fact that people are telling you it won't work. If someone wants to spend money on a D17A2 N/A I say go for it man. Do what makes you happy. As for anyone thats ******* him, instead of being negative about it, how about giving him some advice on products like he asked for. Good luck man.
Old 01-14-2007
Registered!!

thanks pitch, and every1 says n/a is so expensive. well that depends on what u are doing, all the parts im getting are under a grand w/install and tuning. and my car is everyday driver so, id rather not turbo, and just add a few parts and power, make it look clean, and handle like a totally different car
Old 01-14-2007
Registered!!

hwt101 is an unknown quantity at this point
I love my cam and unless you plan on getting some tuning done ( and from what i hear you need aem ems or greddy emanage blue ( minimum ) to get that done ( if you have to time and the money more power to you ) stay stage one. The cam seems to make the ( butt dynoe of course ) vtec feel like its there and make the car a little quicker, my good friend hase a gsr teg (in the process of becoming a k20a teg ) and even he likes driving my car saying that its fun and feels quick for what ever reason ( not blinding fast just fun and quick ). i have a v2 5 bolt cam gear and the stage one cam, i will soon have the w/s II or rsr mag exhaust and crowe valve train upgrade and call it quits for a little while btw ( i also have a KILLER system you can pm me about that one )
Old 01-14-2007
Registered!!

enjoitofer is an unknown quantity at this point
well i was tryin to do the same make a na but i'm not sure anymore.. i have intake, headers, exhaust. granted u feel v-tec pull a bit more with them but not that much of a gain. i was also running nos but that didnt last that long but also have to think in this way a car with 127 hp stock making to 160-200 running na does cost alot of money but not everyone likes the feelin of boost or dont trust them self driving a turbo car like me i know i'm goin to crash my car i'm just building my car for like scca fun nothing else but if na i would say v2, exhaust, headers cams should be okay but its only goin to make u fine with your car for about a month at most. thats my 2 cents
Old 01-14-2007
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute
Hey guys this is for Matteo bc we talked alot about the crower cam but this is my car after my stage 2 cam install. I'll be making more vids bc I fixed some problems that was causing me to have low numbers but the car is def fun to drive if thats what you're looking for.

YouTube - Stage2 cam EM2
YouTube - d17a2 street pull 2
YouTube - d17a2 street pull 1
YouTube - Ripping d17a2 w/stage 2 cam
YouTube - D17A2 idle on driveway
YouTube - D17A2 dyno stage 2 cam
YouTube - EM2 Idle on dyno
Old 01-14-2007
Registered!!

Civicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of light
I will tell everyone here something i am doing an N/A build. Where talking full motor pistons rods rings the hole works. I made a few threads and heard nothing but K20 and turbo well guess what i want N/A. I hate boost its nothing but people that want bigger numbers anyone can do a turbo on there car but a lot of people cant do N/A. Check my thread out i will hit 200 N/A i have lots of tricks up my sleeve and i haven't spent that much money on anything less then 2000 for all bottom end parts and retainers, springs. so i got about another 1000.00 before i am all done. idk if i will be the first to hit 200 N/A but theres a saying dont knock it till u try it. I just think all the people that say its bad dont do it. They just dont have the talent like us people that want to do N/A have. U all are right i have the EX motor D17A2 and i remebered it when it was stock and i did a few mods to it and it was fun to drive in. I dont care about being the fastest person i enjoy the learning experience. I love my car N/A is much better then turbo imo.

take care let me know if u guys want pictures of my parts or if u guys want to chat on aim. i will have my new intake manifold i just built done by friday so i will post pictures and check out my N/A build my parts are also on there

Last edited by Civicman1988; 01-14-2007 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-14-2007
Registered!!

_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough
ive got an 05 lx. was going to do a head swap but after reading all these threads about people doggin the n/a d17, i thought i would build one. so i bought a wrecked 01 ex and pulled the motor, built it, and swapped it in with only a vafc-ii and it works perfect. youll run rich as hell for a day or so, but the ecu will adjust. its fun to zip around town in, but nothing to take to the strip and talk **** about. if you want a reliable daily, buld your a2 motor, keep fresh conventional oil in it, and beat the hell out of it. as far as hp/$ ratios are concerned, its not worth it. but if you want a n/a d17 to daily drive, go for it. just dont get bummed when its not a beast when you mat the pedal for the first time.
Old 01-14-2007
ThE CoRRupToR

dru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nice
I have an a2 and OMG so fast lol....

Quick Reply: Building a N/A D17A2