Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

ghetto rigged radar detecter

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ryancivic has a little shameless behaviour in the past
ghetto rigged radar detecter

well i have some 70$ whistler scanner and after 6 months the speaker randomly was raspy then went completely out. soo after many close encounters with cops running radar i decided to fix it rather then spend a good 140 on a new one. so i ripped apart my headphones and (haha) attached the wires to the computer thing with eletrical tape and it worked. thsi was just for tonight, tomorrow im gonna solder the things together, speaker is a bit big but the scanner can still screw shut. i dont know i just felt like sharing that. im sure ill get nasty comments but idk. later
Old 09-09-2006
Don't be a n00b, search ftw
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future
Now THAT'S ghetto rigging to the max!
Old 09-09-2006
Registered!!

SEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of light
Sounds like nice work if it still looks stock.
Old 09-09-2006
Ride BMX

Mutha Fn FBM 85 will become famous soon enoughMutha Fn FBM 85 will become famous soon enough
get some pics
Old 09-09-2006
Registered!!

InanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enoughInanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enough
IMO, if it's modified but still looks stock on the outside, it's called a sleeper, not ghetto rigged.
Old 09-09-2006
Life is better with 5lug

HondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to all
i wish there was a radar detector that had an option that would send signals through ur sound system b/c I can never hear mine...
Old 09-09-2006
"mmmBAHHHH" - vtec y0

mugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond repute
got a diy for it? mine did the same thing lol
Old 09-09-2006
Registered!!

ryancivic has a little shameless behaviour in the past
ill get some pics up in a few, no laughing though.

heres how i did it. i think today ill redo it but solder the wires instead.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...8/S4021058.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...8/S4021059.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...8/S4021061.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...8/S4021060.jpg

hah it works too

Last edited by ryancivic; 09-09-2006 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-09-2006
Life is better with 5lug

HondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to all
dammit, I could have fixed my old bel940 this way....diy asap!!

I wonder if u could mod a bigger speaker on that?? hmmmmm

Last edited by HondaKorn; 09-09-2006 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-09-2006
Registered!!

undrgnd has a spectacular aura aboutundrgnd has a spectacular aura aboutundrgnd has a spectacular aura about
yeahhhhhhh. i think your time and money would have been better spent doing something else, like oh i dunno.....buying a new radar detector? a good one goes for $100
Old 09-09-2006

01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by undrgnd
yeahhhhhhh. i think your time and money would have been better spent doing something else, like oh i dunno.....buying a new radar detector? a good one goes for $100

Hmm, You didn't even read the first post did you? I would rather do this then shell out 100 bucks for a new one, Considering the cost of this was...Free
Old 09-09-2006
Registered!!

undrgnd has a spectacular aura aboutundrgnd has a spectacular aura aboutundrgnd has a spectacular aura about
no i did read it. im just saying, for the time that it took to rig this, you could have drove over to radio shack and presto. i mean, what's $100 really.....aint no thang but a chicken ****.

maybe thats just me then
Old 09-09-2006

Ain't no thang but a chicken ****? Okay, well you can play with your chicken d!cks, and I'll keep the 100 dollars I'd have saved by fixing it myself...
Old 09-09-2006
Registered!!

and then when ur crappy wiring job falls apart, and a cop clocks you, and u cant hear it cuz ur crap is broke, ur going to dish out more money than $100 for the ticket, plus points from your license.

save urself the cop stop, go buy a new one
Old 09-09-2006

1. My detector works fine, Notice how I worded it... because it didn't happen to me.

2. Have you ever wired anything yourself? If you've got more then 10 brain cells, soldering isn't hard at all

3. Where I live, there is no "license points"

4. I will save the "cop stop" because I don't speed. You see, I'm one of those people who got a radar detector to know when a cop's in the area, not so that I can go 100 mph on the highways.
Old 09-09-2006
Registered!!

i dont know why u r getting so offended anyways, all im saying is the same thing your title says "ghetto rigged."

id rather have something presentable in my ride. but lemme ask you, is the speaker you installed internal or external? if it's internal then nvmd. if its external, then ovbiously its gonna look ghetto
Old 09-09-2006
ultra super duper member

01vic will become famous soon enough01vic will become famous soon enough
its internal, he said he can still screw it shut!
Old 09-09-2006
Registered!!

_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough
radar detectors are a waste unless the cops where you live are complete idiots. here, the police sit where they can see traffic for about a mile or so and look for little white hondas passing everyone else and then turn on the radar/laser gun. only way detectors work are if the pigs have the gun sittin in the window turned on while they eat their doughnuts. i bought one for about $130 before i went to florida and got a ticket for 90 in a 55 on the way back. i took the detector back as soon as i got home. but back to the topic, there is nothing wrong with his speaker replacement instead of buying a new one. if the detector does its job, its fine. you wouldnt go trade your car in for blowing a door speaker would you?
Old 09-09-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
thats why i dont even bother. cops almost never use continuous radar anymore, they just point and shoot at cars. so all it does is tell you when you've been caught.
Old 09-09-2006
Registered!!

_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough
i think they just make you look guilty anyway. kinda hard to talk your way out of a ticket with a fuzzbuster on the windshield. i think they get extra satisfaction out of bustin people with radar detectors.
Old 09-09-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
thats why i dont even bother. cops almost never use continuous radar anymore, they just point and shoot at cars. so all it does is tell you when you've been caught.
when they shoot it at you, it takes a second for them to get back positive results. plus, if there is traffic you can potentially hide from the radar until you have slowed down to speed limit. so you do have time to react when ur detector goes off.

also, new radar detectors, like from Cobra, have POP Alert which warns you when it detects radar in the area that is used to quickly record speed without leaving the radar running the whole time, making the cop invisible to radar detectors. from Cobra.comPop Radar Guns
The Pop mode radar gun is a single pulse
Doppler radar that is a feature of a Ka band
Instant On radar gun. It uses a single short
time pulse (<100 msec.) to measure the
target vehicle’s speed. Despite the fact that
the short, single pulse makes the unit very
sensitive to officer hand and vehicle
movement and reduces the range of the
gun in Pop mode to 50% of its range in
Continuous Wave mode, this feature is
added in an attempt to make the radar gun
invisible to Radar Detectors.
Old 09-10-2006
Registered!!

12345678910 is an unknown quantity at this point
i bought a really good one and the stupid thing never worked.

i drove past about 25 cops and it didnt go off once.

cost me like $240 CDN ($64 US haha)
Old 09-10-2006
Registered!!

PiNoYxRaCeRxRH is an unknown quantity at this point
i thought it was ghetto rigged cause the speaker was hanging out of the radar detector. but if its inside kudos to you! haha
Old 09-10-2006
Registered!!

at a distance of a mile, the beam from a radar gun covers the width of a 4 lane highway. at the same distance , a laser gun covers the width of a 2 lane highway. the police still have to determine which car in that general area to write the ticket to. if youre gonna speed, just expect do get busted and when you do, dont get all emotional.
Old 09-10-2006
Registered!!

SloW4Sh0wVic will become famous soon enoughSloW4Sh0wVic will become famous soon enough
I have my passport X50

its placed right by my rear mirror

there is a DIY on this forum