Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Diamond Star

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006
7th Gen Photographer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of light
Diamond Star

I just got a present from a friend of the family - a 1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL. It's an automatic, it has 276,000 miles on it, hasn't ran since 2001, and has no title. Now - most people see that as "Gee thanks for sticking me with the towing bill..." but I see a daily driver project. If I can get a title to it... the beast seems like it would be a perfectly viable daily driver. The interior is IMMACULATE. Seriously - it looks like it came off the showroom. The exterior needs paint and the aluminum wheels are corroded. So besides a few mechanical hurdles and the whole massive title issue... it COULD work.

I'm also quite curious to see how much a manual transmission is for these cars... I'd look into converting it if i keep it.

Let me know your opinions on what I should do...

1) Go through the giant pain-in-the-*** for the title and daily drive it.

2) Sell it as a parts car.

3) Title it, fix it, sell it.

4) Keep it untitled, strip it, turbo the snot out of it and drag race the thing. (I had to at least think of the possibility)
Old 08-28-2006
Registered!!

ashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to behold
Option 1 for sure, get her running!! Your lucky man, I wish I had a 3000GT, those are rare to see here in Toronto. Not to mention its a wicked project to take up.
Old 08-28-2006
Life is better with 5lug

HondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to all
use as daily driver and baby the vic.....
Old 08-28-2006
2 cups sweety 8 cups bitch
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Suzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond repute
number one! those are rare here too
Old 08-28-2006
Registered!!

simplicated1979 will become famous soon enoughsimplicated1979 will become famous soon enough
turn that baby into a daily driver damn it...then you won't be putting too much miles on the civ...
Old 08-28-2006
A big, hairy Kentucky boy

stinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to all
I think the '91s had the same problem with the idle speed control motor as the newer ones. This causes the engine to die below 1,000rpms and sometimes not idle at all. If that's the case of this one, you might want to check that out.

Also, if that isn't the case, it would probably be a good idea to go ahead and replace it with the updated factory part.
Old 08-28-2006
Type-Race

doctor will become famous soon enoughdoctor will become famous soon enough
If anything, the vic should be your DD...not the other way around. I say fix it up and add some JDM goodies.
Old 08-28-2006
Registered!!

coupe2003 is a jewel in the roughcoupe2003 is a jewel in the roughcoupe2003 is a jewel in the roughcoupe2003 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by HondaKorn
use as daily driver and baby the vic.....
x2 mate
Old 08-28-2006
Registered!!

greenEX will become famous soon enoughgreenEX will become famous soon enough
i'm in western md and it seems like i see a lot more 3000gt's around here than i used to. Probably one of the most capable 1990's imports you can buy.
Old 08-28-2006
I log in from time to time

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
vr4 swap that bish

Last edited by dirtySAMURAI; 08-28-2006 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-28-2006
Registered!!

puidokas is an unknown quantity at this point
Daily driver. Too much to invest as a drag car, Front wheel drive and they weigh so much. A buddy of mine had one and was qouted about 10,000 for a VR-4 swap that included the all wheel tranny swap.
Old 08-28-2006
Registered!!

lxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the rough
Keep it atleast for a daily driver....and if you get a new motor, make it a "VR-2" I guess that's what you would call it, unless you want to do the awd swap too. Friend has a VR-4 running 12.4 pritty nice.
Old 08-28-2006
Registered!!

puidokas is an unknown quantity at this point
they are nice cars, but the parts to fix them are expensive. You have a very clean ride, if i were you id fix and sell and boost yours.
Old 08-28-2006
7th Gen Photographer

LogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by doctor
If anything, the vic should be your DD...not the other way around. I say fix it up and add some JDM goodies.
I guess you missed the part where it has 276,000 miles. LOL.

Originally Posted by puidokas
they are nice cars, but the parts to fix them are expensive. You have a very clean ride, if i were you id fix and sell and boost yours.
Boost.... HAHA.... it's funny you should say that.
Old 08-29-2006
Registered!!

xtheenderx will become famous soon enoughxtheenderx will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by doctor
he kinda has a point there. use the vic as ur DD and do an engine/tranny swap on the 3000gt. i think that'll be sick.
Old 08-29-2006
Registered!!

crazyasian will become famous soon enoughcrazyasian will become famous soon enough
id sure as hell fix it up and use it as a dd as long as it runs properly. hell a free car is a free car.
Old 08-29-2006
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
I would part it out. The car itself is too heavy for what it is, so I never really liked it much. Its too slow for what you should have gotten from the car. And with 250k+ miles there is no way you are going to get a good deal from fixing and titling it.
Sounds to me like you would be investing into a money pit.
Old 08-29-2006
Registered!!

civydcex has a spectacular aura aboutcivydcex has a spectacular aura aboutcivydcex has a spectacular aura about
See these cars alot. Dont like them, good luck