Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

seibon fading! NOOO!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006
You bought a used dog??

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
def01tones will become famous soon enough
seibon fading! NOOO!!!

my hood is starting to fade after bout a year. not much of a big deal cuz i can get it recoated for 50 bucks. i waxed it with some carnuba wax (which doesnt last for ****) and it didnt make it look so milky.

has anybody else experienced this with their seibon??
Old 07-16-2006
Registered!!

Christian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to behold
damn i knew there **** would fade sometime, i mean if vis could, cant any other brand fade?
Old 07-16-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
i have had mine for about a year and nothing, but i dont really wax it, just wash it off.
Old 07-16-2006
New Mod on the Block

Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute
so how exactly can you fix that? just by re-clearcoating?
Old 07-16-2006
Registered!!

civic4dizoor is on a distinguished road
when i bought the hood , I was told to never use wax on the hood
Old 07-16-2006
You bought a used dog??

^^^yes ma'am! JK!

I waxed it a few times before it started fading. maybe that has something to do with it. anybody else heard of "dont wax it"?
Old 07-16-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
you're supposed to be waxing it every month at least to keep the clear good. otherwise the uv light is gonna destroy it.
Old 07-16-2006
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
werd^ you need to wax it especially if its outside a lot and not garaged.
Old 07-16-2006
Registered!!

lxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the rough
Hopefully this won't happen to my seibon that I'm getting on Tuesday....its garaged when I'm at home but I'm at school for 9 months
Old 07-17-2006
You bought a used dog??

Originally Posted by gearbox
you're supposed to be waxing it every month at least to keep the clear good. otherwise the uv light is gonna destroy it.
just got off work...wow i wish i would have read that when i got the hood. should be getting recoated in bout week or so. also its never garaged, damn escalade takes up too much room and i hate squeezing in and out all the time. maybe ill invest in a car cover or just throw a sheet over.
Old 07-17-2006
Registered!!

mr_fobster is a jewel in the roughmr_fobster is a jewel in the roughmr_fobster is a jewel in the roughmr_fobster is a jewel in the rough
^^^ if you wanna sell it im interested.....lol

REALLY!!

but good luck on getting rid of it
Old 07-21-2006
Registered!!

xceed09.slvrstr has a little shameless behaviour in the past
interesting. so what is it, waxing good or bad?
Old 07-22-2006
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
I've heard to never ever wax a cf hood ...
Old 07-22-2006
Registered!!

D5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of light
all cf hoods fade. SEIBON or not. Its inevitable. Nothing is perfect if your car is in the sun all the time.
Old 07-22-2006
Registered!!

HonCivX02 is an unknown quantity at this point
SEIBON has never had cf products that are up to par with say VIS or Kaminari. Sorry but quality over the name owns you lol. Waxing a cf hood is a must, whoever said you should not obviously does not know much about the material. Anyways hope you have good luck with your hood from now on bro
Old 07-22-2006
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
vis is trash.

I've had a cf hood and a cf trunk from vis and both are faded to hell.
Old 07-22-2006
250+ awhp Stage 2

SLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant future
Yeah VIS sucks huge donkey ****.
Old 07-22-2006
DU MA Con Cac

Em2onCPRs is an unknown quantity at this point
i also heard that you are not to suppose to wax cf hoods..
Old 07-22-2006
Registered!!

Christian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by aznboysrfr
vis is trash.

i guess no name brands are betteer!
Old 07-22-2006
You bought a used dog??

Originally Posted by Christian Calim
i guess no name brands are betteer!
yeah, if u want zig zags all over the place.
Old 07-22-2006
420 Member

BlackKnight008 has a spectacular aura aboutBlackKnight008 has a spectacular aura aboutBlackKnight008 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by aznboysrfr
vis is trash.

but aren't you the one who never waxes either? If you wax them and keep them well I am sure they won't fade as quickly as yours did
Old 07-22-2006
Registered!!

Hayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by HonCivX02
SEIBON has never had cf products that are up to par with say VIS or Kaminari. Sorry but quality over the name owns you lol. Waxing a cf hood is a must, whoever said you should not obviously does not know much about the material. Anyways hope you have good luck with your hood from now on bro
I have both seibon hood and VIS trunk and they still look new I wax every three washes IT IS A MUST! and I've kept a car cover (which also helps) on it and as far as Quality goes Seibon owns VIS the hood has clean weaves as the trunk not so perfect but as fading goes both look fine you just need to stay on top of it and stop neglecting it or it will bite you on the ***...
Old 07-22-2006
Registered!!

Civicly02 will become famous soon enoughCivicly02 will become famous soon enough
from what I have read. Carbon fiber hoods are not suppose to be waxed by regular car wax because it does not have a clear coat on it... Carbon fiber hood have a Gel coat and regular car wax will eventually destroy the upper coat of the carbon fiber hood. What you need is gel coat wax. Similar to wax they use on boats. This is the research I have done online because my VIS hood faded
Old 07-22-2006
Registered!!

Hayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Civicly02
from what I have read. Carbon fiber hoods are not suppose to be waxed by regular car wax because it does not have a clear coat on it... Carbon fiber hood have a Gel coat and regular car wax will eventually destroy the upper coat of the carbon fiber hood. What you need is gel coat wax. Similar to wax they use on boats. This is the research I have done online because my VIS hood faded

"You can care for your new carbon fiber hood the same way as you care for your factory hood. You can wash and wax the hood with no damage to the clear coat. Each hood is protected with a UV coating, that will allow the hood to hold its high gloss finish. "
^^^^
http://www.prostreetonline.com/buy/v...n_fiber_hoods/

Q. How do I maintain my product?
A. Your carbon fiber product is durable, but it still needs care and maintenance to stay looking good. To avoid pre-mature aging, it is important to keep your carbon fiber product clean. Minimize exposure to the sun, and wax when necessary.

^^^^
http://www.seibon.com/faq.asp

and heres how to RESTORE the finsh ---> http://www.jdmuniverse.com/forums/sh...ghlight=carbon

But there is some truth behind the gel coat..... ----> http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php...&f=15&t=374768

if this info has helped show me some love /REP lol

Last edited by Hayz; 07-22-2006 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-22-2006
ALGARETE

PICHY is a glorious beacon of lightPICHY is a glorious beacon of lightPICHY is a glorious beacon of lightPICHY is a glorious beacon of lightPICHY is a glorious beacon of lightPICHY is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Hayz
I have both seibon hood and VIS trunk and they still look new I wax every three washes IT IS A MUST! and I've kept a car cover (which also helps) on it and as far as Quality goes Seibon owns VIS the hood has clean weaves as the trunk not so perfect but as fading goes both look fine you just need to stay on top of it and stop neglecting it or it will bite you on the ***...

very true... u need a car cover if ur car sits in the sun all the time.... if u have it garaged then no need for a cover but still good to have... i own a vis hood and trunk for like7 moths now.. and no one waxes their car more that i do...i use meguiars quick wax or detailer almost every friday saturday sunday due to the shows that i go to... i haven seen any fades...
Old 07-22-2006
You bought a used dog??

^^^i just started waxing mine everyweek cuz thats how often i wash it, but since i started waxing it, its been getting worse. i guess i started too late.

alright since its gel coated would it do anymore harm to have it recoated with, paint clear coating? or just get it gel coated again??
Old 07-22-2006
ALGARETE

PICHY is a glorious beacon of lightPICHY is a glorious beacon of lightPICHY is a glorious beacon of lightPICHY is a glorious beacon of lightPICHY is a glorious beacon of lightPICHY is a glorious beacon of light
well my hood ... the clear was sanded off almost to the fiber so i could have the outside borders painted then recoated with 4 or 5 coats of clear so the white on the border would not have any ridges... any way.. is it the fiber or just the clear coat.... because if the fiber is ok then just have it sanded and recoated
Old 07-22-2006
Dear Mr. Toilet, I'm The S.H.I.T.

IrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to all
so when the hood is starting to fade all you gotta do is take it to a shop and tell them you want it clear coated? and thats all?
Old 07-23-2006
Registered!!

DraG0n is an unknown quantity at this point
i have the same problem with my vis hood and kaminari wing... i do wax it everytime i wash but i started to notice the fading when i change brands of wax
Old 07-23-2006
7th Gen Photographer

LogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of light
See... I don't get it. I have a ViS hood that has been installed on my car for just about 3 years. The car has never been garaged and has sat at one time for 8 months outside through the winter and all.

It has not faded. It has small amounts of scoring and light cracking around the edges, most likely due to its age more than anything... but no fading. I maintain it by the occaisional compounding then waxing. The regular cleaning includes a spray wax.

Quick Reply: seibon fading! NOOO!!!