Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   seibon fading! NOOO!!! (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/270560-seibon-fading-nooo.html)

def01tones 07-16-2006 04:00 PM

seibon fading! NOOO!!!

my hood is starting to fade after bout a year. not much of a big deal cuz i can get it recoated for 50 bucks. i waxed it with some carnuba wax (which doesnt last for shit) and it didnt make it look so milky.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...Photo-0011.jpg

has anybody else experienced this with their seibon??

Christian Calim 07-16-2006 04:14 PM

damn i knew there shit would fade sometime, i mean if vis could, cant any other brand fade?

injencivic 07-16-2006 04:16 PM

i have had mine for about a year and nothing, but i dont really wax it, just wash it off.

Rennen 07-16-2006 04:16 PM

so how exactly can you fix that? just by re-clearcoating?

civic4dizoor 07-16-2006 04:36 PM

when i bought the hood , I was told to never use wax on the hood

def01tones 07-16-2006 04:36 PM

^^^yes ma'am! JK!

I waxed it a few times before it started fading. maybe that has something to do with it. anybody else heard of "dont wax it"?

gearbox 07-16-2006 04:55 PM

you're supposed to be waxing it every month at least to keep the clear good. otherwise the uv light is gonna destroy it.

blouisgod 07-16-2006 05:28 PM

werd^ you need to wax it especially if its outside a lot and not garaged.

lxcivic2k1 07-16-2006 05:32 PM

Hopefully this won't happen to my seibon that I'm getting on Tuesday....its garaged when I'm at home but I'm at school for 9 months :(

def01tones 07-17-2006 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by gearbox
you're supposed to be waxing it every month at least to keep the clear good. otherwise the uv light is gonna destroy it.

just got off work...wow i wish i would have read that when i got the hood. should be getting recoated in bout week or so. also its never garaged, damn escalade takes up too much room and i hate squeezing in and out all the time. maybe ill invest in a car cover or just throw a sheet over.

mr_fobster 07-17-2006 09:21 AM

^^^ if you wanna sell it im interested.....lol

REALLY!!

but good luck on getting rid of it

xceed09.slvrstr 07-21-2006 08:22 AM

interesting. so what is it, waxing good or bad?

aznboysrfr 07-22-2006 12:58 PM

I've heard to never ever wax a cf hood ...

D5cIvIc 07-22-2006 01:02 PM

all cf hoods fade. SEIBON or not. Its inevitable. Nothing is perfect if your car is in the sun all the time.

HonCivX02 07-22-2006 01:08 PM

SEIBON has never had cf products that are up to par with say VIS or Kaminari. Sorry but quality over the name owns you lol. Waxing a cf hood is a must, whoever said you should not obviously does not know much about the material. Anyways hope you have good luck with your hood from now on bro

aznboysrfr 07-22-2006 01:13 PM

vis is trash.

I've had a cf hood and a cf trunk from vis and both are faded to hell.

SLO REX 07-22-2006 01:29 PM

Yeah VIS sucks huge donkey ****.

Em2onCPRs 07-22-2006 04:27 PM

i also heard that you are not to suppose to wax cf hoods..

Christian Calim 07-22-2006 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by aznboysrfr
vis is trash.

i guess no name brands are betteer!:lol:

def01tones 07-22-2006 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Christian Calim
i guess no name brands are betteer!:lol:

yeah, if u want zig zags all over the place.

BlackKnight008 07-22-2006 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by aznboysrfr
vis is trash.

but aren't you the one who never waxes either? If you wax them and keep them well I am sure they won't fade as quickly as yours did

Hayz 07-22-2006 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by HonCivX02
SEIBON has never had cf products that are up to par with say VIS or Kaminari. Sorry but quality over the name owns you lol. Waxing a cf hood is a must, whoever said you should not obviously does not know much about the material. Anyways hope you have good luck with your hood from now on bro

:_disgust: I have both seibon hood and VIS trunk and they still look new I wax every three washes IT IS A MUST! and I've kept a car cover (which also helps) on it and as far as Quality goes Seibon owns VIS the hood has clean weaves as the trunk not so perfect but as fading goes both look fine you just need to stay on top of it and stop neglecting it or it will bite you on the ass...:_please:

Civicly02 07-22-2006 08:31 PM

from what I have read. Carbon fiber hoods are not suppose to be waxed by regular car wax because it does not have a clear coat on it... Carbon fiber hood have a Gel coat and regular car wax will eventually destroy the upper coat of the carbon fiber hood. What you need is gel coat wax. Similar to wax they use on boats. This is the research I have done online because my VIS hood faded

Hayz 07-22-2006 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Civicly02
from what I have read. Carbon fiber hoods are not suppose to be waxed by regular car wax because it does not have a clear coat on it... Carbon fiber hood have a Gel coat and regular car wax will eventually destroy the upper coat of the carbon fiber hood. What you need is gel coat wax. Similar to wax they use on boats. This is the research I have done online because my VIS hood faded

"You can care for your new carbon fiber hood the same way as you care for your factory hood. You can wash and wax the hood with no damage to the clear coat. Each hood is protected with a UV coating, that will allow the hood to hold its high gloss finish. "
^^^^
http://www.prostreetonline.com/buy/v...n_fiber_hoods/

Q. How do I maintain my product?
A. Your carbon fiber product is durable, but it still needs care and maintenance to stay looking good. To avoid pre-mature aging, it is important to keep your carbon fiber product clean. Minimize exposure to the sun, and wax when necessary.

^^^^
http://www.seibon.com/faq.asp

and heres how to RESTORE the finsh ---> http://www.jdmuniverse.com/forums/sh...ghlight=carbon

But there is some truth behind the gel coat..... ----> http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php...&f=15&t=374768

if this info has helped show me some love /REP lol

PICHY 07-22-2006 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Hayz
:_disgust: I have both seibon hood and VIS trunk and they still look new I wax every three washes IT IS A MUST! and I've kept a car cover (which also helps) on it and as far as Quality goes Seibon owns VIS the hood has clean weaves as the trunk not so perfect but as fading goes both look fine you just need to stay on top of it and stop neglecting it or it will bite you on the ass...:_please:

very true... u need a car cover if ur car sits in the sun all the time.... if u have it garaged then no need for a cover but still good to have... i own a vis hood and trunk for like7 moths now.. and no one waxes their car more that i do...i use meguiars quick wax or detailer almost every friday saturday sunday due to the shows that i go to... i haven seen any fades...

def01tones 07-22-2006 09:45 PM

^^^i just started waxing mine everyweek cuz thats how often i wash it, but since i started waxing it, its been getting worse. i guess i started too late.

alright since its gel coated would it do anymore harm to have it recoated with, paint clear coating? or just get it gel coated again??

PICHY 07-22-2006 09:50 PM

well my hood ... the clear was sanded off almost to the fiber so i could have the outside borders painted then recoated with 4 or 5 coats of clear so the white on the border would not have any ridges... any way.. is it the fiber or just the clear coat.... because if the fiber is ok then just have it sanded and recoated

IrockCivics 07-22-2006 11:58 PM

so when the hood is starting to fade all you gotta do is take it to a shop and tell them you want it clear coated? and thats all?

DraG0n 07-23-2006 01:20 AM

i have the same problem with my vis hood and kaminari wing... i do wax it everytime i wash but i started to notice the fading when i change brands of wax

LogicWavelength 07-23-2006 03:54 AM

See... I don't get it. I have a ViS hood that has been installed on my car for just about 3 years. The car has never been garaged and has sat at one time for 8 months outside through the winter and all.

It has not faded. It has small amounts of scoring and light cracking around the edges, most likely due to its age more than anything... but no fading. I maintain it by the occaisional compounding then waxing. The regular cleaning includes a spray wax.