Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

YAY! New rotors!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006
Ever Wonder What P.O.S.B.A.S. Is An Acronym For

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P.O.S.B.A.S.04 will become famous soon enoughP.O.S.B.A.S.04 will become famous soon enough
Talking YAY! New rotors!!

As some of you may know, Hibdon Tires warped my rotors by using a friggin torque wrench to put my lug nuts back on! So, I bought some new rotors, Slotted & Cross Drilled.

some of you may argue the effectiveness of these rotors but i am not worried. there is a picture of them in my photos if you are curious as to what they look like. from what i understand is that slotted rotors wear down the brake pads rather quickly so i guess i will have to get some lifetime warranty pads!!!

i think i will be putting them on tomorrow too! thanks to the DIY the rotor install will be pretty easy but the pads...i am slightly hesitant to do that since it is such a crucial part of stopping!
Old 03-20-2006
Registered!!

Zeppelin8778 is an unknown quantity at this point
sweet. i love cross drilled / slotted rotors... only thing is... ur supposed to use a torque wrench to put lugs back on...

did u mean a nuematic wrench or air wrench?
Old 03-20-2006

P.O.S.B.A.S.04 will become famous soon enoughP.O.S.B.A.S.04 will become famous soon enough
i always use an iron cross. i am like 90% sure you should not use a torque wrench to put the lugs back on....you can break a bolt doing that. air guns are not bad i don't think. don't they stop when the lug is in to prevent over torquing the bolt/lug??
Old 03-20-2006
my vtec brings all the girls to the yard

mrDFWmechanic will become famous soon enough
how do you know if your lugs are torque'd right then if you dont use one ??
Old 03-20-2006

you don't have to use a torque wrench to put your lugs back on...i just tighten as much as they will go. i have never had any problems doing it that way.
Old 03-20-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by P.O.S.B.A.S.04
i always use an iron cross. i am like 90% sure you should not use a torque wrench to put the lugs back on....you can break a bolt doing that. air guns are not bad i don't think. don't they stop when the lug is in to prevent over torquing the bolt/lug??
You're *** backwards.
USE the torque wrench, when it clicks, its right. When you use an Air gun, you break wheel studs.
Using the iron cross is stupid for the same reason as the air gun.
Get your **** straight.
The wheel and tire store didn't mess up your rotors by torquing the wheels.
YOU warped the rotors, independent of anything the wheel people did, since the rotors are screwed to the hub anyways, and the torque on the wheel has NOTHING to do with the rotor alignment.
Old 03-20-2006
Registered!!

haha yea dude, theres a whole science (sorta) to torquing lug nuts correctly. they have to be torqued correctly in order to ensure they hold the wheel on correctly. how do you torque them without a torque wrench? trust me dude... use a torque wrench. just dont OVER torque them. also.. how would torquing to tight warp your rotors... they arent even the same part.

edit: ahhhh boilermaker1 beat me to it... but ya... ur wrong bro
Old 03-20-2006
Registered!!

tighten as much as they go?! hahahahahaha thats sooooo the wrong way to do it! if you dont have a torque wrench on you, the safe way to do it TEMPORARILY is to tight it until it stops going from very light pressure, then go another 1/4 turn after that. not AS TIGHT AS YOU CAN GO!!!!

you're so fully wrong its funny.
Old 03-20-2006

thank you boilermaker, i feel about . that small! okay, so maybe i am wrong, i am not ASE certified but what i do know is that I DID NOT warp them!!! they were fine when i took them and now they f'd the hell up! i also realized that i was using the the incorrect terminology here, what i was thinking of was a breaker bar and no, i am not familiar with air tools...pardon the F out of me! oh and i am strong enough to put the lugs on just right but there is no way in Zeus' butthole that i could break a lug with an iron cross

Last edited by P.O.S.B.A.S.04; 03-20-2006 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-20-2006
Registered!!

a girl could put lugs on correctly. ur not supposed to tighten them very much.

also, i said exactly what boilermaker did, before him.

you prob dont even know what warped rotors are if u dont know what ur doing with lugs. how do you know they are "warped"

warping rotors usually comes from braking too hard/too often because the rotors get to hot...

read: http://www.snyperbrakes.com/brakes-faq.php

Last edited by Zeppelin8778; 03-20-2006 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-20-2006

the guy at the store said they were probably warped. you know, i am just going to say this...i have no idea what is wrong with them, i am just speculating here.

sorry to exclude you Zepplin, thank you for the flamming! i feel like a n00b! oh wait, i am not! wheels, brakes, etc....that is not my thing....no need to hate

i think the term "tighten as much as they go" is being taken out of context here too. but that is just my dumba$$ opinion...besides, what the F do i know?
Old 03-20-2006
Touch it... He won't bite, He'll just come at you pretty quick.

Blahman240 is on a distinguished road
I don't understand how using a torque wrench would run your rotors....
Old 03-20-2006

i used the wrong term, i meant a breaker bar. as for how it happens i have no idea! boilermaker and zepplin probably know though...they seem pretty informed about rotors.
Old 03-20-2006
Touch it... He won't bite, He'll just come at you pretty quick.

Blahman240 is on a distinguished road
So... They used a breaker bar to put your lug nuts back on? Thats imposible... Seems to me like you were just looking for a reason to get new rotors... nothing wrong with that.
Old 03-20-2006

yes, i was going to put new rotors on anyway, other mods were in line way before that. like i said, i know very little about rims, rotors, etc...and i think i have proved that, lol. with a breker bar you can just use an adapter to use a bigger socket thing, hell, i may be wrong on that too...who knows.

what i do know though is this: when i took my car in, there was no vibration in any of the pedals, no whirring sound and no grinding when the brakes are applied. now all three of these problems are occuring so it is not something that i did. all i went in for was a tire rotation and to get my alignment fixed.

Last edited by P.O.S.B.A.S.04; 03-20-2006 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-21-2006
Registered!!

well first of all i guarentee the "breaker bar" looking thing was infact a torque wrench, they look similar. maybe its just somethig wrong with your pads? it could be warped rotors, but it most definetly would just be caused by braking to hard. do you like to drive fast? do u accelerate a lot when its unneccessary, only to have to break really hard in order to stop for the next stop light? i know i do. and i know i have warped rotors because of it. its either from that, or it could be something to do with the alignment they gave you. maybe they didnt do a good job on that.

anyways, sorry i was a **** earlier, i just like to be that way sometimes. good luck with the new rotors, they look dope.
Old 03-21-2006

no prob about earlier, i can take what people dish out and i can give it back too!! i do drive fast, everywhere. i can't really do the thing in b/w lights around where i live b/c the lights are so close together. thanks for your input and you got repped too.
Old 03-21-2006
Registered!!

thanks bro
Old 03-21-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
rotors warp when you don't tighten all lugnuts to the proper (and same) torque. or when sams club forgets to put a lug nut back on. so yes you need a torque wrench. its not okay to use an impact/airgun