Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Shelby GT 500 (go to pg2, post 20 please)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Shelby GT 500 (go to pg2, post 20 please)

So my lease is up on my truck at the end of this year and I am debating on what to get. One car I'm looking at is the new Mustang, for 2 very good reasons.

1. I have the A plan and that means I can get Ford's dirty cheap.
2. Has anyone seen what this car can do? For those who don't know what I'm talking about: Mustang Shelby Cobra GT500 = 475 hp So it has the Shelby name on it, it has got ahistory, it can win races, and it preforms well. If this car is made in limited quantites, a well kept specimen should hold it's value and start going up in value in say 10-20 years.

The down side is that the dam thing has a live rear axel... WTF where they thinking! I guess it's something to keep costs down. But in any case they use some triangular geometry or something and it is suppose to be the same as used in the Mustang FR500C, which has won a few Grand-Am races now, so it can't be that bad. The suspension is drastically different than say a normal road going Mustang currently on sale.

So if I get this car, it will set mostly in a storage unit, and I hate doing so, but really I hate wasting money even more. So I tend to drive crappy cars that don't depreciate much and keep my nice more costly toys with low miles to keep the depreciation down.

So any thoughts?

Last edited by Jrfish007; 03-16-2006 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-13-2006
Registered!!

nick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to behold
Life is meant for living. Buy the car and drive it for the 1st summer then park it.
Old 03-13-2006
Registered!!

Canadian Si will become famous soon enoughCanadian Si will become famous soon enough
I have a friend that bought a 2004 Mustang BULLET, blue in color, he, I mean she drives it like it was meant to be. She also bought a 2nd one that is in storage.
Old 03-13-2006
Premium Member

drunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of light
screw that...buy that bitch and drive the wheels off of it. what is the point of havening a dream car to only dream about driveing it and never doing it. parking it is a waste of a automobile. keep the depreciation down? why? so you can trade it in on another car you wont drive. just drive the damn thing and enjoy it. that is what is is built for!
Old 03-13-2006
BOOSTED DOHC i-VTEC

stl01civic is an unknown quantity at this point
enjoy what you can. only live once....................
Old 03-13-2006
Registered!!

xamracer is an unknown quantity at this point
are you sure a-plan applies to shelbys? I'd check into that before I made anymore plans.
Old 03-13-2006
- hella tite y0 -

s0ltker is just really nices0ltker is just really nices0ltker is just really nices0ltker is just really nices0ltker is just really nice
the live rear axle is for better a launch off the line. With the 03-04 cobras a lot of owners change the IRS to a live axle.
Get it, upgrade exhaust, headers, intake, and smaller pulley.....hello high 10s !
Old 03-13-2006
Registered!!

me2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Buy it,

that things going to hull ***,
I might eventually sell my 05 gt and buy one of those
Old 03-13-2006
Banned

djrabbi is a name known to alldjrabbi is a name known to alldjrabbi is a name known to alldjrabbi is a name known to alldjrabbi is a name known to alldjrabbi is a name known to alldjrabbi is a name known to all
ehhhhh i dont like the new mustang body...... but i rather get the saleen and the saleen is the most powerful mustang if wanna consider it...... http://www.saleen.com/s281_e.htm
Old 03-13-2006
Words on a User Title

ramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by nick95673
Life is meant for living. Buy the car and drive it for the 1st summer then park it.
Yes, what he said!
Originally Posted by Canadian Si
2004 Mustang BULLET....he, I mean she
Bullit. And what's up with the he/she thing?
Originally Posted by stl01civic
enjoy what you can. only live once....................
Yup! That's my thought exactly!
Old 03-13-2006
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
i say store it..... as much fun and as fast it goes.... it's a GT500. Not sure how limited that car will be though.....
Old 03-13-2006
Formerly efil on evol on

Cptn. Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCptn. Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCptn. Slow has a spectacular aura about
unless you just have a ton of money do not buy a car you won't drive. That is my stance on nice/expensive cars
Old 03-13-2006
4 cyclinders down, 4 to go.....

acjones21 is an unknown quantity at this point
live axles are MUCH better for drag cars. You can put ladder bars on em and totally eliminate wheel hop, they are much stronger and they are lighter than a comparable IRS unit. THese things weigh 3800+lbs, they won't be going around many corners...
Old 03-13-2006
Registered!!

CIVIC X3 is on a distinguished road
i agree with djrabbi...saleen is the best lookin and performance, unless its the 1960's shelby gt 500. WOW...i would love to get one of dose. the newer ones doesnt look as good.
Old 03-13-2006
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all
Seen it yesterday in person. Sexxxy.

Old 03-13-2006
- hella tite y0 -

s0ltker is just really nices0ltker is just really nices0ltker is just really nices0ltker is just really nices0ltker is just really nice
besides if u buy the shelby, it'll be worth a **** load of money down the road....the saleen wont.
Old 03-14-2006
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
If your goin to get fords for really cheap, then i would get a Ford GT. The only real ford i respect. The car has a way better racing heritage then any mustang and this is there last production yr.

But anyways, if your really worried about depreciation then i suggest investing the money in a house or investment generating source.

If not, then drive it. Cars are meant to be driven. Using cars as investment is a losing proposition.
Old 03-14-2006

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by s0ltker
besides if u buy the shelby, it'll be worth a **** load of money down the road....the saleen wont.

Exaclty

Originally Posted by TemjinX2
If your goin to get fords for really cheap, then i would get a Ford GT. The only real ford i respect. The car has a way better racing heritage then any mustang and this is there last production yr.

But anyways, if your really worried about depreciation then i suggest investing the money in a house or investment generating source.

If not, then drive it. Cars are meant to be driven. Using cars as investment is a losing proposition.

1. A-plan doesn't work on the Ford GT, and not to mention that is a $125,000 car, the Shelby is a $40,000 car. Don’t get me wrong, I would much rather have the Ford GT, hands down, but I’m not in a position to be throwing that kind of money around, even the Shelby is a bit of a stretch. Besides the Shelby has almost the same motor as the GT, the only difference is that the GT has an aluminum block where as the Shelby is cast iron, but the bottom end, heads, and supercharger are off of the Ford GT.

2. This is one of the reasons I'm considering this car. I have a feeling in 10 years or even 5 years it won't depreciate much, assuming you keep it nice. I want a nice fast car, but I don't want to have to pay a crap load for it. But I can afford to look at the big picture and say that say in 10 years, this car will loose very little of it's value. I absolutely agree that real estate will give a bigger profit, I actually have some money tied up in that too, but I want a fast car too

---------------------------------------------

The point is that I won't spend $40k on a car that will only be worth $10k in 10 years, but I will spend $40k on a car that will be worth $40k in 10 years, so then my only loss for the car is inflation, see where I'm going?

As for driving the car all the time, if I wanted to drive a car all the time, I would probably go for a used S2000, although not as powerful, they are still fun to drive, and if you are patient you can get one for around $15,000. But honestly if you live in Ohio, you don't want to drive a car like that all the time, specially getting up my up hill drive which almost always is covered in ice this time of year. My 4x4 has trouble getting up sometimes.

Last edited by Jrfish007; 03-14-2006 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-14-2006
Registered!!

Projectseven is an unknown quantity at this point
I love the looks of the Saleen, but I would deffinetly take a Shelby car over the Saleen any day. Park it and use something else for a daily driver and get it out to enjoy on nice sunny summer days.
Old 03-16-2006

Okay, to bump my old thread back to life

No really, Given this, I am not going to drive the car every day, end of story, I just won't waste the money on that.

What I'm still looking for opinions on 1. should I buy this car, keep it stored nice and new looking, and just take it out and to the track on occasionly nice days and drive a beater the rest of the time, or choice 2. buy an used S2000 for every day driving? Obvioisly the Mustang is FASTER and just all around nice car, but the S2000 isn't bad either, just lacks a grunt the Mustang will have.

Opinions please, if you have a point that I have not thought about please share
Old 03-16-2006
MAVS FAN 4EVER

jknudsen is a jewel in the roughjknudsen is a jewel in the roughjknudsen is a jewel in the roughjknudsen is a jewel in the rough
Okay here is what i would do. Buy the shelby, drive the s*** out of it, then in 10 yrs swap a new motor in and let your grandma or your mom sell it for you and have them lie their *** off about how their son originally bought the car but died in iraq and the car has just been sitting there every since and only driven to the cemetery on sundays or something sad like that....
Old 03-16-2006
Registered!!

Projectseven is an unknown quantity at this point
I would deffinetly say go with your first option of buying the car keeping it like new and just driving it on really nice days or occasional track, I like the S2000, but you seem to really like the GT500 (I don't blame you) So I would say go for it and enjoy.
Old 03-16-2006
Chicks dig my scent

civicskater is an unknown quantity at this point
get it...like everyone said...you might as well enjoy. Don't be 60 years old wishing you bought that shelby
Old 03-16-2006
Formerly efil on evol on

Cptn. Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCptn. Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCptn. Slow has a spectacular aura about
if you are going to buy the Shelby, then keep it under 10 miles (sorry, no driving). Then roll on down to Barret-Jackson 40 years from now and reap the reward
Old 03-16-2006
Registered!!

swifty2k is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd go with the S....you only live once
Old 03-16-2006
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Jrfish007
Okay, to bump my old thread back to life

No really, Given this, I am not going to drive the car every day, end of story, I just won't waste the money on that.

What I'm still looking for opinions on 1. should I buy this car, keep it stored nice and new looking, and just take it out and to the track on occasionly nice days and drive a beater the rest of the time, or choice 2. buy an used S2000 for every day driving? Obvioisly the Mustang is FASTER and just all around nice car, but the S2000 isn't bad either, just lacks a grunt the Mustang will have.

Opinions please, if you have a point that I have not thought about please share
The S2000 doesn't have the backseat, nor the room in the front seat. I've driven one and it's tiny. The shifter felt like a peanut in my hand and I could reach back and grab the taillights if I really wanted to. But, although it doesn't have the grunt, it still has the pep. When you want it to move, it goes, and it goes now. I was merging onto the highway, did a shoulder check, was about to shift up, and when I looked at the speedometer it said 170. It might not have the muscle, but it still goes like the Mustang does (not meaning exact, just close).
Old 03-17-2006
Registered!!

5.0calypso93lx is an unknown quantity at this point
1) Bullit was never made in 2004

2) Why is a saleen worth nothing?? They are almost as limited production as the gt500, so i'm not sure why you say that.

And if i were you, and i was able to buy me an 07 gt 500, i know there would be no possible way i couldn't mod/drive it all the time.
Old 03-17-2006

Originally Posted by 5.0calypso93lx
1) Bullit was never made in 2004

2) Why is a saleen worth nothing?? They are almost as limited production as the gt500, so i'm not sure why you say that.

And if i were you, and i was able to buy me an 07 gt 500, i know there would be no possible way i couldn't mod/drive it all the time.

No the Saleen's are worht something, but honestly Saleen just doesn't have the name Shelby has. Shelby will be worth more IMO, but that's just me.

Well, modding it won't be a problem because I won't be able to afford to No really, I don't want to mod cars any more. It seems once you mod it, it just starts becoming headache after headache of this not working right that and so on. And besides, I think 475 bhp is enough for me

Originally Posted by DeX
The S2000 doesn't have the backseat, nor the room in the front seat. I've driven one and it's tiny. The shifter felt like a peanut in my hand and I could reach back and grab the taillights if I really wanted to. But, although it doesn't have the grunt, it still has the pep. When you want it to move, it goes, and it goes now. I was merging onto the highway, did a shoulder check, was about to shift up, and when I looked at the speedometer it said 170. It might not have the muscle, but it still goes like the Mustang does (not meaning exact, just close).
Point well taken I'm not a small guy, but not huge, so it should be okay for me.

Last edited by Jrfish007; 03-17-2006 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost