Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Failed State Referee Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
four twenty is an unknown quantity at this point
Failed State Referee Inspection

Oh man.... So I woke up especially early this morning to handle my state referee inspection since I had been cited for modified exhaust a few months ago. Once I got there everything on the smog computer screen was passing, but at the end of the inspection they went ahead and told me that my car had failed. The reasons I failed were that of my cold air intake (cheap ebay brand) did not have a certain O2 sensor or something hooked up and that it was not CARB exempt.

So now I would like some help from you guys. What intake should I go with? In the future I would like to purchase a Megan FU Strut bar and would prefer to go with CAI. I know with my current ebay brand CAI I can not install a Megan strut bar since the intake is in the way. So with that being said do I go with RS*r, AEM, AEM V2, or Injen? Keep in mind I will need clearance in the future for my FU Strut bar and the Intake must be CARB exempt.

Thanks guys
Old 01-17-2006
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
any cai will do if you're not gearing your car towards performance.
Old 01-17-2006
::+::My Girlfriend is hot, but I'm still GAY::+::

yourinmyw0rld has a spectacular aura aboutyourinmyw0rld has a spectacular aura about
So what happen after the inspection? did they fine you?
Old 01-17-2006
Registered!!

well basically i have to get a CARB legal intake and then bring it back to get it inspected again. I wish i could have just paid a fine that would have been a lot easier and less time consuming.
Old 01-17-2006
Registered!!

hey guys dont want to take up your time if i dont have too. I am going with Injen CAI RD Series. The reason being is that I am picking it up for $72 out the door brand new, um yeah can you say steal. I am all over that kind of a deal and I am even getting it installed tonight. Looks like today turned out to be ok even if I had just failed my inspection.
Old 01-17-2006
I Hunt Goats, Rams, And Mustangs.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of light
You should save yoru money and put your stock airbox back on. or heck you need on i got one ill sell yah cheep. that CAI only picks up like 1hp. The only good one that ive seen is from K&N.
Old 01-17-2006
Registered!!

why whats the difference between all others and K&N? Typhoon or something right?
Old 01-17-2006
2001 Rallye Red EX

digitaldemigod is a glorious beacon of lightdigitaldemigod is a glorious beacon of lightdigitaldemigod is a glorious beacon of lightdigitaldemigod is a glorious beacon of lightdigitaldemigod is a glorious beacon of lightdigitaldemigod is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by TransformedBG
You should save yoru money and put your stock airbox back on. or heck you need on i got one ill sell yah cheep. that CAI only picks up like 1hp. The only good one that ive seen is from K&N.
I never used others to compare to, but I've had my K&N typhoon sri for 4 days now and that thing rocks. I can only guess, but it almost feels like I picked up double digit hp.

I don't know about the megan fu strut bar. I know that Neuspeed and DC sports are the only ones that fit with most CAI.
Old 01-17-2006
Registered!!

yeah thats what i have been noticing only DC Sport and Neuspeed. With that K&N Intake, how does it sound around 4500 rpm? I mean like if ur slowly accelerating at like 25%-35% throttle up to 4500 rpm and then punch it how does it sound to you? Can you hear VTEC engage better or not really? The reason I am asking is because I have only had stock and CAI and with my CAI i like the sound that it produces.
Old 01-17-2006
YUL
Registered!!

YUL has a spectacular aura aboutYUL has a spectacular aura about
yea...you might as well put back your stock airbox back on.

SRI's and CAI's will only give you like 1HP anyway.
Old 01-17-2006
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
all short ram intakes suck. hypothetically, the best one would be the k&n fipk2. typhoon <<< fipk2.

cai will give you the most gains ... injen cai will most likely give you more gains than aem. ebay is ****.
Old 01-17-2006
Registered!!

lol ok i failed to mention that i no longer have my stock airbox, so i will need to go with an after market solution. Plus that one hp is so amazing, i feel so slow without it.
Old 01-17-2006
Registered!!

Ya i think im going with that Injen CAI for $72 which isnt a bad price at all, and imagina how much a replacment intake system would be from the factory, i imagine more than $72.
Old 01-17-2006
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

I'm sure you're around 714.

come to this tonight: http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=238971
Old 01-17-2006
2001 Rallye Red EX

digitaldemigod is a glorious beacon of lightdigitaldemigod is a glorious beacon of lightdigitaldemigod is a glorious beacon of lightdigitaldemigod is a glorious beacon of lightdigitaldemigod is a glorious beacon of lightdigitaldemigod is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by four twenty
yeah thats what i have been noticing only DC Sport and Neuspeed. With that K&N Intake, how does it sound around 4500 rpm? I mean like if ur slowly accelerating at like 25%-35% throttle up to 4500 rpm and then punch it how does it sound to you? Can you hear VTEC engage better or not really? The reason I am asking is because I have only had stock and CAI and with my CAI i like the sound that it produces.
Up to 4000rpm it sounds almost like stock, a little louder though, but the same sound.

At 4500 if you punch it sounds REALLY loud and really cool. Although one of my idiot coworkers today told me it sounded "ricey". Funny... my father in law and all his hot rod buddies love my car... you'd think old car guys would hate imports... anyways, the sound is a very noticeable difference. I've only heard sound bytes (like on the aem site) of a CAI and I think the SRI sounds the same as that.
Old 01-17-2006
Registered!!

hmmm i see, ok well ima hit up that meet at hooters looks cool