Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Got in a minor car accident today, need help deciding on repairs

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005
Prince of Persia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yoshiemaster will become famous soon enough
Got in a minor car accident today, need help deciding on repairs

i was pulling out of a parking lot today when a girl in a corolla rear ended my Vic. i went and got an estimate for repairs from the same guy i bought the car, and he said $604.68, so i fax the estimate to the girl's dad and he was more than happy to pay. so he comes over and says that he appreciated me not notifying insurance, and i was like yea i know insurance is a bitch. so i guess he was pleased with my actions or whatever because he didn't right the check to the body shop, instead he wrote it out to me. here are the pics:

it's not sticking out like this anymore, i stuck this part back in.

as you can see it's no biggie. what i want to do is just use some adhesive to put the crack back together, and spend the 600 on coilovers or anything else. i have no problem with that cracked bumper.

is there anyone that objects and says that i should spend the money on a new bumber?

Last edited by Yoshiemaster; 12-03-2005 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-03-2005
Ill punch you in the face before you visit Myspace

SinaloaCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
daaaamn man that sucks, i got rear ended last summer....and i had to pay 641 for a new bumper and have it painted......i still dont have my rear under body spoiler back tho....ummm i would replace the bumper....but its ur money so do whatever u want mr yoshie-san!

oh yea....was the girl hott???

-PeTeY!! ::EM2::
Old 12-03-2005
::+::My Girlfriend is hot, but I'm still GAY::+::

yourinmyw0rld has a spectacular aura aboutyourinmyw0rld has a spectacular aura about
Crazy glue that sucker
Old 12-03-2005
Registered!!

Civicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of light
just get some touch up paint and touch it up from a distance u wont notice?
Old 12-03-2005
Prince of Persia

Originally Posted by yourinmyw0rld
Crazy glue that sucker
yea that's what i was thinking of doing. 604 is too much to waste on a small rip like that in my opinion. performance>looks. looks are still important though.

Originally Posted by Civicman1988
just get some touch up paint and touch it up from a distance u wont notice?
i don't even need touch up paint. it's not that white, that's just the camera's flash. i think alil super glue will go a long ways.
Old 12-03-2005
Registered!!

chrisleecool has a spectacular aura aboutchrisleecool has a spectacular aura about
I personally would not spend 600bucks for repair
it doesn't look bad at all
I'd say save it and spend it on something else or just save it
or you can find a used EBP rear bumper from a member here too
i'm sure it won't cost you much.
it's your money do whatever you want to do
Old 12-03-2005
Prince of Persia

well christmas break is coming up and i need something to do. i was thinking of a project like suspension, then i'd spend the leftover money on a short shifter something.
Old 12-03-2005
There is gl@ss in my @SS...
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

drew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond repute
I would fix it first man, that looks terrible, thats just me, i had a choice between fixing my sag of the rear of my car with the neuspeed springs or fiberglass my dash with Pioneer AVIC-N2 and fiberglass the doors, i said fix the sag and worry about stuff later, if it was me i would look to buy a used rear from someone. Just ask around.
Old 12-03-2005
Prince of Persia

the only thing visible is the rip, i stuck the top of the rear bumper back in. those white streaks are now gone, i rubbed it with my finger till it went away.

look at the last pic in my first post, i really have no problem with that crack. it's not really that white, that's just the camera's flash.

do you guys really think it looks that bad?
Old 12-03-2005
Ride BMX

Mutha Fn FBM 85 will become famous soon enoughMutha Fn FBM 85 will become famous soon enough
Buy a body kit.
Old 12-03-2005
Registered!!

micks7thgen is an unknown quantity at this point
be ghetto and just grab the flap and rip it off.
Old 12-03-2005
Registered!!

orion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really nice
rear under lip

Originally Posted by SinaloaCivic
daaaamn man that sucks, i got rear ended last summer....and i had to pay 641 for a new bumper and have it painted......i still dont have my rear under body spoiler back tho....ummm i would replace the bumper....but its ur money so do whatever u want mr yoshie-san!

oh yea....was the girl hott???

Hi,

Did the person who caused the accident paid you enough money for both bumper and underbody lip/spoiler?

I mean, the person suppose to just pay for the whole thing, no?
Old 12-03-2005
Boobies are the mans tinkertoys

dp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to behold
i would say get it redone, but 600 is nuts. the OEM style bumper only cost around 175.
Old 12-03-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
zen_master is on a distinguished road
i would probably buy a newpainted OEM bumper...then install it myself..
Especially that ur using 01-03 bumper, it'll be cool to buy 04-05's bumper!

afterward, sell that old cracked bumper for some extra $$..

then use the rest $ for something else..
Old 12-03-2005
TURTLEonK

Nameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the rough
if you plan on selling the car then get it fixed, if not.. it doesnt seem too bad, u could probably body fill it from the inside to keep it together and just use some touch up paint on the surface to stop the paint from cracking .. also just get the area that is scratched up, buffed up/waxed..

should be fine right?
Old 12-03-2005
Prince of Persia

wow, i can't believe almost everyone said to get a new bumper. i think that is a real small thing but i guess not. i was thinking about getting a body kit in the past weeks, so i guess this is my chance. i'll get a front/back lip kit and side skirts instead of the coilovers for now, and sell the bumpers for some money. how much do body kits cost?
Old 12-03-2005

Originally Posted by orion_squall
Hi,

Did the person who caused the accident paid you enough money for both bumper and underbody lip/spoiler?

I mean, the person suppose to just pay for the whole thing, no?

well buddy it was a long story........i was basically screwed when i got hit....the guy didnt have insurance....and he recommended me to go to his dads shop......well i took it in and the guy had it for 3 weeks and didnt do anything also when i gave it to him it had 3 quarters of a tank and when i got it back it was on empty....another thing.......he decided to not work on it and just gave me the car without the bumper so i was driving without a rear bumper until my dad stepped in and bought me a new one from honda......he didnt want to go to court because it was just too much hassle, but i learned the hard way i should have called the cops the second he said he didnt have insurance.....but hey it was my 3rd week with i license i had no idea WTF to do....but now i do plus the underbody spoiler is just wayy to expensive, i dont care really, as long as i got my bumper back on i can get the spoiler later

Old 12-03-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
when i got $600 for a new front bumper, I spent it on a lip kit to cover the damage the car is bound to get damaged again and its hard to keep perfect. When I had the accident stuff done, you can still tell the different paint on the back half. Thats the biggest problem is having a bumper that doesn't match exactly. I would rather keep the cracked one.
Old 12-03-2005
Prince of Persia

Originally Posted by gearbox
when i got $600 for a new front bumper, I spent it on a lip kit to cover the damage the car is bound to get damaged again and its hard to keep perfect. When I had the accident stuff done, you can still tell the different paint on the back half. Thats the biggest problem is having a bumper that doesn't match exactly. I would rather keep the cracked one.
man this is a hard decision.
Old 12-03-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
well there is no rush. Oh also if you get a new bumper and paint, you have to wait 2-3 months before waxing it.
Old 12-03-2005

well there is no rush. Oh also if you get a new bumper and paint, you have to wait 2-3 months before waxing it.

ohhh why is that gearbox?? im just wondering
Old 12-03-2005

drew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond repute
gearbox, of course on silver its alot harder to match then say blue or black. I would get it fixed, leaving it cracked is ghetto.
Old 12-03-2005
Prince of Persia

well i bought the car from my dad's friend's mechanic (dad's friend owns a body shop). i think they'll do a good enough job repairing the bumper. i myself have no problem what so ever with the crack though. i mean it's not that noticable, and alil super glue in the crack will do enough to keep it from having the cracked sections rubbing against each other, making it worse. plus i think that 600 is alot to spend on a bumper repair like this. so right now (if you havn't figured out already) i'm contemplating whether to go with coilovers and shocks, or body kit.
Old 12-03-2005

Why is the $600 keep coming up? The Bumper is less than $200, plus prolly another $150-$200 to paint. Not 600, i'm just saying man, it would bug the hell out of me if i knew there was a big *** crack in the bumper.
Old 12-03-2005
Prince of Persia

Originally Posted by drew22mader
Why is the $600 keep coming up? The Bumper is less than $200, plus prolly another $150-$200 to paint. Not 600, i'm just saying man, it would bug the hell out of me if i knew there was a big *** crack in the bumper.
600 keeps comin up because that's how much money i got from the accident, and that's the estimate to get the new bumper . 260 for the actual bumper, like 188 or sumtin for labor, 17 for the emblem, and the rest is for painting.

gearhead i feel ya man, i don't wanna get a new bumper kuhz it doesn't seem like a big enough problem to me, but dad says that i have to get it fixed. if it was up to me, i'd be spending the money on some other part of the car.

i'm probably get a body kit right now, but during christmas break i'll tackle the coilovers issue. i'm lookin at body kits right now. here's one of my finds:
http://www.sportcompactonly.com/prod...=1426&c=12&l=2
Old 12-03-2005

Yoshie, in the US you are entitled to get how ever many estimates you want. Go to one place, get the estimate for $600, go to a place that does it cheaper and get it done and have some money left over.
Old 12-03-2005
Premium Member

you could get the oem replica bumper on ebay for 100-200, then pay a shop another 150 or so to paint, and install yourself. you'll still have about half the money left to spend on something else.
Old 12-03-2005
Prince of Persia

Originally Posted by drew22mader
Yoshie, in the US you are entitled to get how ever many estimates you want. Go to one place, get the estimate for $600, go to a place that does it cheaper and get it done and have some money left over.
well the reason why i didn't go anywhere else is because i knew the price was alil high, so that i'd get more money from the guy who was paying for damage.

dad wants me to replace it so i told him i'd replace if he bought me a body kit. other than that, no deal.

you could get the oem replica bumper on ebay for 100-200, then pay a shop another 150 or so to paint, and install yourself. you'll still have about half the money left to spend on something else.
instead of the oem replica bumper, i'm just gunna buy a body kit (roughly $350)
Old 12-03-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
do the girl, take her out to dinner on daddys money. and then do her again.
Old 12-04-2005

Yoshi, actually the OEM only cost $180, paint it and put a lip kit on it, that would be alot better than a big body kit. What if you want to sell it, then your stuck with buying one in the long run.

Quick Reply: Got in a minor car accident today, need help deciding on repairs