Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

MAD JDM! hood hinge shims..... would you and should i?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jfan is an unknown quantity at this point
Do it when you really need to I guess, but I'm not sure when that time is.
Old 11-15-2005
::+::My Girlfriend is hot, but I'm still GAY::+::

yourinmyw0rld has a spectacular aura aboutyourinmyw0rld has a spectacular aura about
I think its dumb
Old 11-15-2005
Registered!!

DaddyFatSacks is an unknown quantity at this point
Like I said, find out more NICROM, maybe a kit on honda-tech or a DIY from another site, Ive always thought that was a good idea personaly.
Old 11-15-2005
Registered!!

kasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura about
its alrite... its wut makes your modification different from all the other million civics out there.
Old 11-15-2005

ncirom2003 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Hawk
Aluminum wings are functional, yet they are trendy.
actually aluminum pep boys wings arent functional they are built to look cool and arent designed to add downforce for stability, (do you really think a wing should be UNIVERSAL?) it cant be universal because a rwd and fwd vehicle need it to act different ways. and so aluminum wings are not functional they are just a horrible trend.

and for the last time people, this is not a JDM mod, this is not something from the Japanese Domestic Market. i do believe everyone doing it got it from a magazine picture of a modified japanese spec CTR with individual throttle bodies. i was not asking if it looks cool or if it will get me style points, i was asking people opinions on what functional benefits they think it would bring.
Old 11-15-2005
Registered!!

tuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to all
looks to me that the possibility of it letting hot air escape from under the hood, be it out the opening at the cowl or forced out somewhere else by cool air coming in that way, is definitely feasible. I'd like to know how things turn out when you do this. doesn't look too complicated to do, like you said, a couple shims and longer bolts should do it. Good luck and make sure you post up results.
Old 11-15-2005
Registered!!

xkimsungminx is an unknown quantity at this point
hm.. i haven't ever seen that done on supra's, zx's skylines or silvia's, and they're stock turbo cars and owners of those cars are known to put lots of horse power into their cars, it seems like the only cars doing the hood prop thing, are people with honda/acura's, from the pics i saw in the links he posted.. so eh... and yes the aluminum wings ARE functional, they do what they're supposed to on all cars you put it on, the question is whether your car needs it or not... FWD cars DONT need it, RWD cars do, so you can't say just cuz it's univeral it's not "functional"... civics with huge aluminum wings are just straight retarded and any Front wheel drive car for that matter
Old 11-15-2005

Originally Posted by xkimsungminx
hm.. i haven't ever seen that done on supra's, zx's skylines or silvia's, and they're stock turbo cars and owners of those cars are known to put lots of horse power into their cars, it seems like the only cars doing the hood prop thing, are people with honda/acura's, from the pics i saw in the links he posted.. so eh... and yes the aluminum wings ARE functional, they do what they're supposed to on all cars you put it on, the question is whether your car needs it or not... FWD cars DONT need it, RWD cars do, so you can't say just cuz it's univeral it's not "functional"... civics with huge aluminum wings are just straight retarded and any Front wheel drive car for that matter
ok first off, you only saw hondas on that site because its www.HONDA-tech.com keyword being honda there.
next, no a wing from pep boys DOES NOT work, get over it, its all just looks. unless you buy a nice one designed from a company like spoon or mugen designed specifically for your car it wont work that well and if its a cheapo i gaurantee it wasnt engineered for the correct amount of downforce.
and your wrong, fwd cars do still need wings, it keeps the rear end stable at high speeds to prevent from losing traction in the rear and keep your car going straight at high speeds. so a rwd needs more downforce cus you want alot of weight keeping that rear end planted, a fwd doesnt need as much downforce because your just trying to hold it stable. so a universal wing doesnt work unless its adjustable and your a expert in physics and can figure out where to set it.
and our coolant systems arent built to withstand a turbo and all the excess heat, so a supra is most likely more capable of handling that heat and rather than me spending 400 bucks on a new radiator that i dont need id rather just do little things to help a little bit.
Old 11-15-2005
::+::My Girlfriend is hot, but I'm still GAY::+::

yourinmyw0rld has a spectacular aura aboutyourinmyw0rld has a spectacular aura about
why does it say MAD JDM! on your title?
Old 11-15-2005
YS
Registered!!

YS is an unknown quantity at this point
i did mine 2 years ago ... i just raised it about 1/2 inch, not too high ... it help cooling the engine bay a little
Old 11-15-2005

Originally Posted by yourinmyw0rld
why does it say MAD JDM! on your title?
jokingly, i find humor in irony and i dont think of this as a "jdm" mod at all but i knew some people would either think that or say that.
Old 11-15-2005

Originally Posted by YS
i did mine 2 years ago ... i just raised it about 1/2 inch, not too high ... it help cooling the engine bay a little
the only good contribution to this thread so far....... thank you.
Old 01-24-2006
Registered!!

I'm still following this and want some new info. Like I said 2k2 extreme or what ever his name is (eternal blue coupe) has it, we need him to post here.
Old 01-24-2006
Ride BMX

Mutha Fn FBM 85 will become famous soon enoughMutha Fn FBM 85 will become famous soon enough
dont do it. hood looks like its messed up.
Old 01-24-2006
Registered!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

yuogotown3d is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks like its messed up but do it for function and not to be trendy haha.
Old 01-24-2006
Registered!!

genexrocket has a spectacular aura aboutgenexrocket has a spectacular aura about
lol, when i got into an accident my hood popped up exactly like that, i was mad jdm for about a week until i got it fixed
Old 01-24-2006
Registered!!

isuzu5000 will become famous soon enoughisuzu5000 will become famous soon enough
the only reason those guys did it is b/c they can...i mean they've got some baddass cars...but they also said that they used it for a big turbo setup...shall i repeat myself again...BIG. i havent researched turbo's for our cars in a bout a year so correct me if im wrong...the only turbo the can work w/ a d17 is a t3/t4 turbo...thats not big at all. thats tiny compared to the turbos i deal with. so to answer your question---its gay. its not jdm--its gaydm
Old 01-24-2006
omgwtfbbq mod.

spoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to all
Heres my 2 cents. My car has a race header, intake, and exhuast. Not enough heat is produced in my engine bay for me to do this. Even with a turbo set-up, Im not so sure that this would actually aid in heat dissipation. If you think its gay, thats fine. Thats your opinion. But to flame on someone simply because they like it is just not cool. He was simply asking for input, and all you guys are doing is flaming the idea and calling him a retard because he's trying to find some answers. As far as this "mod" being the new "trend", it seems that this is coming true. But then again, moifying a civic is a "trend", so you probably shouldnt make fun of that fact. As far as aluminum wings, I wouldnt exactly say they arent functional, but being that alot of people in my area manage to mount the wing upside down, this makes it non-functional. Also, our cars are incapable of reaching speeds high enough to justify using one. lol. As far as benefits from this mod, I can see the logic behind it. Sure, it doesnt look that good, but Im sure everyone on this site has at least ONE mod that not everyone likes. You do what you do to your car because YOU like it, not because everyone else does. I dunno.....thats just my opinion.
Old 01-24-2006

lol at you guys, ive stated then million times its purely not for looks, we all can understand for ourselves that it doenst look right and doesnt look cool.

and the jdm comment was a joke people obviously i dont consider hood shims jdm.

someone just lock the thread cus nobody can read that its not considered a appearance mod and that its not jdm.
Old 01-24-2006
Ride BMX

Mutha Fn FBM 85 will become famous soon enoughMutha Fn FBM 85 will become famous soon enough
man i hate it when people bring back threads from the dead.. usually i notice the date but this time i didnt look GR! sorry dude.
Old 01-24-2006
Registered!!

Wolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura aboutWolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura aboutWolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura about
Lol, I'm gone for a couple months and stupid sh*t like this happens LOL
Old 01-24-2006
Ride BMX

man i always get pissed when people bring back old threads too acting like theyre new. like the "d17 has potential"
Old 01-25-2006
Registered!!

/\ Oh ya I forgot, altezza lights and cheesy body kits are cool, thats right! /\
Old 01-25-2006
Ride BMX

they totally are. im glad you remembered. thanks!
Old 01-26-2006
Registered!!

project: EM2k4 has a spectacular aura aboutproject: EM2k4 has a spectacular aura aboutproject: EM2k4 has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by spoonEM
Heres my 2 cents. My car has a race header, intake, and exhuast. Not enough heat is produced in my engine bay for me to do this. Even with a turbo set-up, Im not so sure that this would actually aid in heat dissipation. If you think its gay, thats fine. Thats your opinion. But to flame on someone simply because they like it is just not cool. He was simply asking for input, and all you guys are doing is flaming the idea and calling him a retard because he's trying to find some answers. As far as this "mod" being the new "trend", it seems that this is coming true. But then again, moifying a civic is a "trend", so you probably shouldnt make fun of that fact. As far as aluminum wings, I wouldnt exactly say they arent functional, but being that alot of people in my area manage to mount the wing upside down, this makes it non-functional. Also, our cars are incapable of reaching speeds high enough to justify using one. lol. As far as benefits from this mod, I can see the logic behind it. Sure, it doesnt look that good, but Im sure everyone on this site has at least ONE mod that not everyone likes. You do what you do to your car because YOU like it, not because everyone else does. I dunno.....thats just my opinion.
You tell 'em Rob! He's right ya know.... do whatever you like, but personally I wouldn't do this even if someone paid me to....
Old 01-26-2006

well i definately wouldnt do it as a daily driving thing, i know ive said its not a looks mod and thats why i wouldnt do it for everyday, cus it would make my car look so ugly. i think ill just do it at the track/dyno and compare numbers and times from hood regular and hood like this. thats the only real way to determine its efectiveness

now will someone lock this lol
Old 01-27-2006
For the love of House Music... Defected.com

05_ CivicJDM is a jewel in the rough05_ CivicJDM is a jewel in the rough05_ CivicJDM is a jewel in the rough
I think it looks alright. But you could also just pull the long rubber seal by your wipers to help your engine vent.
Old 01-27-2006
Registered!!

Dondie is an unknown quantity at this point
form follows function..

Recommended for heavily modified units...
Old 01-27-2006

05civicjdm.....that would probably work but i doubt it works anywhere near as well as the raised hood, thats like .5 inch when hoods closed and raising the hood like this gives about 1-1.5 inches maybe 2

and dondie.... form doesnt follow function on the drag strip.