Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Bad Tranny?...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kronickz is an unknown quantity at this point
Bad Tranny?...

Ok, i was driving yesterday in my 2k2 Automatic Civic Sedan (on 20's with a gold line drop in case that is the problem) and my car acted like it was in neutral when i was still in drive. I happened to roll to some upholstry place and parked my car to check it out.(barely made it) I put it in every gear including reverse and it still was acting like it was in neutral and just revving up my engine. Then, i noticed that the engine light turned on. I have no idea what the problem is but i'm pretty sure that it is the tranny cause i still have transmission oil in the engine. I checked everything else that it could be and everything is fine. If you know alot about honda tranny's or anything about what my problem is, please help!!!! my car is still parked in some parking lot and it might get towed!!
Old 10-11-2005
Registered!!

Nasdurus is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't think its the trans. Sounds like its electrical. How many miles are on the car? One thing I think you might be able to try is to disconnect the battery for a bit.
Old 10-11-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
tranny is dead for sure. it can't grab the gears anymore. classic sign of slippage that went too far. You need a new trans. Have it towed to a reputable transmission shop to get checked out. don't take it to dealer unless you have warranty cause its very expensive. $2-3K
Old 10-11-2005
"mmmBAHHHH" - vtec y0

mugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond repute
hmmmm try checking some of ur grounds
Old 10-11-2005
Registered!!

Nasdurus is an unknown quantity at this point
Gearbox, if that were the case wouldn't there be some sort of grinding, or some negative noise comming from it to alert you. If that were the case I think he would have included that in his question.
Gear is right you'll get raped if you take it to honda without a warrenty.
Old 10-11-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
nope on the auto tranny, it slips and eventually the rpms just rev like its in neutral and the car won't move.
Old 10-11-2005
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by gearbox
nope on the auto tranny, it slips and eventually the rpms just rev like its in neutral and the car won't move.

any signs this is happening or about to happen?

mine doesn't do it but I don't want to be in the same boat....

anyone know if this will happen even if you keep up maintenace on the tranny? (flushes and fills and full drains)
Old 10-11-2005
Registered!!

meseetree is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Shroomster
any signs this is happening or about to happen?

mine doesn't do it but I don't want to be in the same boat....

anyone know if this will happen even if you keep up maintenace on the tranny? (flushes and fills and full drains)

yeah the auto tranny in the 7thgen is weird it doesn't have belts but actually clutches, the teeth have been ground off so it can't catch anymore.

signs-normally when the car shifts the rpms will jump up anywhere from 100-1000 rpms possibly more , it's because it can't catch so it revs high until it does catch. you can sometimes get lucky and the tranny will last 10,000 miles more or only 10 miles more, mine has been slipping for about 3000 miles but that was because I was boosting too high and now I'm going to pick up a new one this weekend..
Old 10-11-2005

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
so if you drive like a grandma you're tranny will last a couple 100k?
Old 10-11-2005
Premium Member

not necessarily. a few people here drive normal and theirs still went out before 100k. the key is try and change fluid every 10k, and also our tranny REQUIRES some sort of oil cooler.
Old 10-11-2005

Originally Posted by gearbox
not necessarily. a few people here drive normal and theirs still went out before 100k. the key is try and change fluid every 10k, and also our tranny REQUIRES some sort of oil cooler.

what this oil cooler isn't something that is already installed?

( i get my fluid changed every 25-30k gonna do the second one here in a lil I'm @58k)
Old 10-11-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
some of you are forgetting that a check engine light is on here. SO a failed tranny shouldnt be assumed untill the diagnosis of the check engine light is complete.

well first find out what trouble code your engine is throwing. If it wont shift into any gear and you have a check engine light, 9 times out of 10 the problem is related to that check engine light. As I tell everyone, one problem can be the cause of 20 other problems. Everything on the car works together so when one sensor or actuator is messed up or out of specs, once the ECU recieves that reading and based on that reading will be what other sensors and actuators recieve. And if the signal is messed up, well those other sensors will recieve messed up signals. The same goes with the tranny. I dont have alot of experience with auto trannies, but there are several codes associated with the trans. And alot of the electronics in the tranny go through the PCM because it contains the transmission control module.

So find out what the code is first and let me know. I can look up in my manaul and help you troubleshoot it and possibly fix the problem. But worst case senerio, you may have a failed tranny. But dont assume that yet untill the check engine light is diagnosed.

And make sure next time to only post vehicle issue problems in the vehicle issues problem forums. you had one in there which I deleted since that one had no replies and this one did. This one will probably get moved to that forum anyway.

Last edited by streetglower; 10-11-2005 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-11-2005

my tranny is fine ...I'm feelin for the thread starter...tough times in a civ...I'm glad all my tranny does is clunk into reverse when I'm on an incline...
Old 10-11-2005
Premium Member

oops i missed the cel part. but it could also be one of the many cel codes for the tranny. get a cooler. they come stock on the hx auto but not on the others for some reason.
Old 10-11-2005
Registered!!

dnbguy86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Uh, gearbox, hate to correct you on this one. But all civics(auto) that im aware of have a factory trans. cooler. its inside the radiator. ill show u the proof if you want.
Old 10-11-2005
Premium Member

okay i know that ( I have service manual). But if you look at the hx cvt auto it has an actual "separate" cooler much like aftermarket brands that is alot smaller than the radiator. Thats what I meant, sorry if it wasn't clear.
Old 10-12-2005
Registered!!

kronickz is an unknown quantity at this point
well guys, thanks for the input but i think that most likely that it is the transmission. I might go with a manual swap, who knows. I asked one of my friends and they said that the problem could be my 20's because if i push my car too hard, it will affect the transmission. If that is the case, I have some 20" Lexani Slate Chrome Rims w/ Nitto 555 tires with about 70% tread life in them (225/35/20). They are 4x100 lug pattern with all center caps. hehe, just in case that was the problem because i want to get a full type-b lip kit, a set of ground control coilovers, jdm sedan taillights, and 18" Rev V Model II wheels and slam it 3.5 inches. Maybe a carbon fiber hood with black housing headlights. What a transformation hehe. Well let me know if you guys find anything else.
Old 10-12-2005
Registered!!

Valdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to all
id like to see it even though I dont have an auto I would still like to have that knowledge thanks.
Old 10-12-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by kronickz
well guys, thanks for the input but i think that most likely that it is the transmission. I might go with a manual swap, who knows. I asked one of my friends and they said that the problem could be my 20's because if i push my car too hard, it will affect the transmission. If that is the case, I have some 20" Lexani Slate Chrome Rims w/ Nitto 555 tires with about 70% tread life in them (225/35/20). They are 4x100 lug pattern with all center caps. hehe, just in case that was the problem because i want to get a full type-b lip kit, a set of ground control coilovers, jdm sedan taillights, and 18" Rev V Model II wheels and slam it 3.5 inches. Maybe a carbon fiber hood with black housing headlights. What a transformation hehe. Well let me know if you guys find anything else.
Dont assume your tranny is bad. AGAIN DONT ASSUME. If your check engine light is on, find out why. Have it diagnosed. Fixing that may fix your tranny problem. Just cause it doesnt shift doesnt mean it has failed. Its a possibility, but again find out what code popped up. I cant stress this enough to people. about 2 years ago I drove through a flooded street and stalled the engine. I sucked all the water out and got the engine running again. a week later, the check engine light came on and the vehicle wouldnt shift out of first gear. Also the shift lever wouldnt release from the park position. MY first thought was the tranny had went. But after taking it to the dealer, they pulled the code and found that the TPS sensor went bad. SO they replaced the throttle body and it fixed both problems. Again all components work together so when one fails, it can affect several others.

Before you start waisiting money on a new tranny, find out the code. You may be suprised that this problem is related to a simple and inexpensive part that failed.
Old 10-12-2005
Boosted Auto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
deciuss is an unknown quantity at this point
ya chex the cheep stuff first and hope its that.
Old 10-12-2005
BOOSTED DOHC i-VTEC

stl01civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by kronickz
I would said pull the code. It is worth it. If doesn't take long, see if your friend or anyone have a obdII scanner.
If you are doing a manual swap. Let me know I have one sitting in my garage. It is left over from my K24 swap.