Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

future setup questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EclecticVISIONS is on a distinguished road
future setup questions

ok, so i am new to this so please don't "flame" me too hard... if i wanted to put a VENOM intake manifold, #1:will it help the performance of my d17 auto... #2: will it help if I decide to put a Zex wet kit on... #3: can a CAI go on that with little to no modification?

If this is too confusing (due to my lack of knowledge) what can you smart guy suggest? Other ideas I have looked into are a Crowder Cam stage 1 or 2, again not sure.

You guys always ask "what are your intended gains, what do you want?" so here's what i want... i want to keep my automatic d17 and do some engine mods w/ nitrous BEFORE i start my turbo fund.

Thanks in advance. I also apologize in advance for all those people that will "flame" me and say stuff like "do a search newbi" cause i already did. Ok ...done.

Old 09-18-2005
"You leave me in the trenches taking Grenades, John"

Stachmo is an unknown quantity at this point
If you plan on going turbo in the future I wouldnt even bother with the intake manifold and cai, as they're going to be useless once you actually go to put the turbo kit in. One thing you have to understand, is that bolt on's generally speaking wont do a whole lot to our engines (even less in your case, due to that fact that you have an auto). intake, header, exhaust, etc mainly just serve the purpose of making the car sound better, so the gains generally aren't worth the amount of money they cost (maybe around 10whp for all three combined, if you're lucky). The Crower cams could be useful (I believe I heard the stage 2 nets us around 15whp), but it also effects the idle on our cars, and makes them more difficult to drive. Therefore, Nitrous seems like the best 'bolt on' you could do in the meantime if you're saving up for boost. Just look around the forced induction forums and read everything you can about nitrous so you dont blow up your engine.

I hope this helps...I'm sure many others here have some good thoughts that I missed...good luck
Old 09-18-2005
Registered!!

pimpc is an unknown quantity at this point
Honostly dont waste your money on an automatic car
Old 09-18-2005
Fuzzy Boy

FuzzBeC00L is an unknown quantity at this point
Get a new car
Old 09-18-2005
Registered!!

well thank you stachmo, i appreciate your input, as for the other comments, thanks but no thanks, i will keep my new automatic, thanks tho. I have read about the stage 2 cam's idle trouble, is it safe to say the stage one is a little safer? also, could some good, professional tuning fix the stage 2's idel problems? Thanks for the help again.
Old 09-18-2005

ncirom2003 will become famous soon enough
get stage 1 cam, stage 2 poses more problems than you want to deal with in such a mellow daily driver, if you had a fully built d17 i could see dealing with the lil problems but i suggest going with stage 1 cus its half the price (you dont need to get the springs/retainers along with it as you do for stage2/3) also dont bother with the Intake manifold, go for I/H/E plus stage 1 cam and get a vafc-2 or something and then put in the nitrous, take it to a good dyno/tuner and youll be very very happy with this set-up i guarantee.
off the top of my head the above listed set-up would be probably 20-25whp w/out nitrous and with say a 50 shot youd probly be looking at a total of 60 whp (again im just guessing on these numbers and theyd probly be less in an auto. but those are good numbers for that setups cost
Old 09-18-2005

oh yeah i forgot to post that, my ideas good because if you get stage 2 now, you need to get the NA stage 2, but if your going boosted later that will be no good and youll need to swap it out for a stage 2 turbo cam, where as getting the stage 1 now is good cus it will still work on the turbo setup, and the rest of teh things like vafc-2 will really help the turbo setup. as for the header, youll have to junk that for turbo manifold
Old 09-18-2005
Registered!!

awesome man, thanks for the help, i really appreciate it. I'll do some research on the "vafc-2" because that's another language to me right now (again, i'm new to this) but by the end of the day i'll have done my studying on that. again, thank you... and as always, if anyone else has other comments, they are very welcome
Old 09-18-2005

well ill give ya a quick explanation cus until maybe the past few weeks i didnt know what it was either, its the apex'i vafc-2, it connects to your ecu and controls vtec (when vtec kicks in and out) and it controls fuel management(you can give your car more fuel, which is going to come in handy with any setup you have especially boost or nitrous)
Old 09-18-2005
Registered!!

excellent, and i assume that once the nitrous is in and the vafc is installed that i should get the car dyno'ed/tuned? is this a safe assumption? also, with a nitrous kit, i should get new plugs correct? i read something about colder plugs... could somone please direct me to the right forum explaining the colder plugs if there is one, i can't seem to find it.
Old 09-18-2005

well for my turbo i just bid on cooler plugs, " denso idium ik20" try those.
yes the vafc-2 should help alot when you get it tuend after nitrous install. with the nitrous you need more fuel and that tool will help you pinpoint when to shoot more gas in.
Old 09-18-2005

actually ive got a set of those plugs that have only like 2,ooo miles on them, if you want ill mail them to ya for 27 bucks (normally go for like 60) and ill clean them off with a tool i got at my dads shop so theyll be almost like new.