Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Integra Airbox Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
skarteez is an unknown quantity at this point
Integra Airbox Conversion

first off, id like to thank Boilermaker for answering all of my questions and acutally being the first one to do this conversion. mine came out not as good as boiler's, but pretty good overall (first time ever making custom brackets and stuff).

i obtained the stock integra stuff of of a 2000 LS for free!!! (thanks ryan!!!) so i just decided to do it. (other than this mod, im completely stock performance-wise. ya know, under-dash neons, cupholder LED ambient lighting and modified 2004 gauge cluster dont add horses hehe)

i didnt order a kit off summitracing.com like boiler did (didnt want to deal with shipping and my parents would find out (aaaaaaaaahahahah thats so sad, only 17 yrs old)). i pieced it together with a marine box/strap down i found for $8, 17 ft of 4gauge hookup wire (15 for pos., 2 for ground) for $30, terminals/hookups for $5, piping for a whopping $30 (please guys, do find places where they can do it for cheap without welding. NO MUFFLER SHOPS!), misc hardware (thanks Lowes!) for $3.

one of the biggest obstacles was, obviously, throwing the battery in the back, but everything worked out fine. as stated by boilermaker, the box was huge, too big for the battery, so if you can find a smaller one/have someone make one for you, thatd be better. or else, make a custom tiedown.

another big obstacle for me was the actual elbow. since i didnt have any aftermarket intake to just use the elbow from, i journeyd over to a shop and had them bend one for me. there was some welding to do since it was a muffler shop, but its not bad. just looks kinda awkward. also, the bend angle was a lil bit too much and the length was a lil too long, but by remounting the box RIGHT on the location of the stock battery mount instead of having it next to it, it worked out pretty well.

the breatherhose--> notice the long tube eh? since i didnt have an aftermarket intake (like i said before), there was no breather hose inlet on the piping. so, i used the stock integra location and extended the breather hose to that location. for the air intake temp sensor, i just drilled a hole and had a rubber grommet in there (hole was a TINY bit over 1/2inches).

future plans: perfect-isize the metal elbow for a perfect fit (even tho its aite right now), grind off weld marks on outside of pipe, paint it glossy black, get rid of green crap from integra tubing, K&N drop-in filter (conical for the integra box), DIY icebox extension.

initial thoughts: well RIGHT after finishing it and driving around, i noticed no difference at all ('cept it was louder than stock). but as the days rolled by and driving it every day on freeway/street/occasional blast down the empty street, i started to feel more response, better ooomph, louder sound. you know the pull feeling you get when you hit the max torque rev range (on EX, about 4500-4800)? yeah, you notice it more with this than stock. but the main difference i felt was the mid-range. greatly improved over stock, better response, and there is no loss of low-end whatsoever. it feels a bit perkier too with the better flow/box cover design. and with that, you dont cap off the high end either. so im pretty happy about that. but nothing super-noticeable. i expected small things like this with simply an intake. after doing the throttle body heater bypass+throttle cable tightening, respoinse was even better and like gearbox said, no heat-soaked sluggishness when driving around for 20+minutes.

drivability on the freeway has improved as well. at 60mph when the torque converter locks up (haha ohyeah, i have an auto ), tap the throttle, feel that reallysmall jerk (no slippage in the torque converter). yeah yeah, same as before, but the car actually accelerates. 60-80 with a tap of throttle (i think less than 10%) was quicker than stock.

soundwise: imagine a subdued resonator-less stock airbox setup on the civic. kinda like that.

so yeah, im happy haha. sorry, dont got any dynocharts. just wait for the video and see if you notice anything.

ill get a video up with that freeway thing i was talking about and a 0-60 run

pics:

Old 04-29-2005
Vic's almost done... thats sorta depressing...
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Octane Joe has much to be proud ofOctane Joe has much to be proud ofOctane Joe has much to be proud ofOctane Joe has much to be proud ofOctane Joe has much to be proud ofOctane Joe has much to be proud ofOctane Joe has much to be proud ofOctane Joe has much to be proud ofOctane Joe has much to be proud ofOctane Joe has much to be proud ofOctane Joe has much to be proud of
very intresting... cept, if you had a shop make the pipe for you, why didnt you just go straight to the air box?
Old 04-29-2005
Registered!!

the inlet to the stock integra stuff is 2.5in; the air filter inlet is 3in. too much extra work and the tube is already there. plus, its plastic/rubber so it doesnt heatsoak as easily. and its not as heavy either.
Old 04-29-2005
Vic's almost done... thats sorta depressing...

Octane Joe has much to be proud ofOctane Joe has much to be proud ofOctane Joe has much to be proud ofOctane Joe has much to be proud ofOctane Joe has much to be proud ofOctane Joe has much to be proud ofOctane Joe has much to be proud ofOctane Joe has much to be proud ofOctane Joe has much to be proud ofOctane Joe has much to be proud ofOctane Joe has much to be proud of
Ah, ok, just was wondering
Old 04-29-2005
Registered!!

isuzu5000 will become famous soon enoughisuzu5000 will become famous soon enough
what is the point of this so called "mod"?
it looks like you connected your intake pipe to the throttle body w/ duct tape...please tell me my eyes are playing tricks on me.
Old 04-29-2005
Registered!!

where did you see ducttape? its a 2.5in rubber hose connector with aluminum clamps, similar to the ones used to attach piping on intercooler kits/aftermarket intakes.

please read boilermaker's post on this integra airbox conversion.

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...hreadid=149203
Old 04-29-2005
Registered!!

DaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of light
never heard about an ice box?comptech makes those for itr's but he took the
oem air box from the itr and made a custom air box!!

grtz

Last edited by DaRk_MauL; 04-29-2005 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-29-2005
Registered!!

R3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to all
sorry but that looks ghetto as hell.
Old 04-29-2005
Registered!!

Hayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by R3DL1N3
sorry but that looks ghetto as hell.
sorry i agree why not buy an aftermarket intake??
Old 04-29-2005
Euro-Spec

tripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nice
I think it looks good. Fits right in
Old 04-29-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Hayz
sorry i agree why not buy an aftermarket intake??
Because if it works better and can be done for $55, then why spend $200+?
Doesn't look too bad, you're right though, the muffler shop job doesn't make it look superclean. If you can nab a ebay **** short ram, just use the pipe and cut it to the right length. Might help, but overall it doesn't look TOO bad.
Don't worry about what it looks like, there's a pretty good reason I don't post pictures of my engine bay anymore either (its multicolored, wires and stainless hose everywhere, zipties, heat wrap and insulation on stuff, etc...) but it does what it needs to.
Old 04-30-2005
Registered!!

yeah thanks a lot boilermaker

ive gone the intake route. it simply doesnt work. i mean, boiler, you race your car and if this is better than your Injen RD CAI, it dont matter if its ghetto if it works.
Old 04-30-2005
Registered!!

DaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of light
idd i am waiting for my filter it should be here monday than i will be doing
kind of the same!

grtz
Old 04-30-2005
Premium Member

genx_7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Old 04-30-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by skarteez
yeah thanks a lot boilermaker

ive gone the intake route. it simply doesnt work. i mean, boiler, you race your car and if this is better than your Injen RD CAI, it dont matter if its ghetto if it works.
I call it GhettOEM
Old 04-30-2005
Registered!!

hahaha GhettOEM lol
Old 04-30-2005
Registered!!

hey dark, you doing the same kind of conversion, or something similar? keep us posted!