Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

tranny: auto to stick conversion.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005
Cocky guys kick ass!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cocky has a spectacular aura aboutCocky has a spectacular aura aboutCocky has a spectacular aura about
tranny: auto to stick conversion.

what do i need? and how much should it cost me? i'm tired of havin my slow auto.. woot woot.
Old 02-28-2005
I log in from time to time
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
noob.
Old 02-28-2005
Registered!!

TMRakip is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by infinite012
noob.

I don't think one would want to call Cocky a noob, he's been forever. I do think that at this phase of the game it would be pointless for him to do a change. That would be like trying to change the transmission from SMG-II to the standard 6-speed...It would be easier to buy a new car.
Old 02-28-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
i tried searching for this but couldnt find anything really cocky... I was looking for my post(its really old) to give you the link but i cant find it... Sorry.

I know that you need to get a new tranny and that can range from 1400 bucks to 4000bucks depending on whether its a rebuilt tranny or not.

Injen
Old 02-28-2005
Premium Member

genx_7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by TMRakip

I don't think one would want to call Cocky a noob, he's been forever. I do think that at this phase of the game it would be pointless for him to do a change. That would be like trying to change the transmission from SMG-II to the standard 6-speed...It would be easier to buy a new car.
He was just joking, but the question was definitely a noob question.
Old 02-28-2005
Cocky guys kick ass!

Cocky has a spectacular aura aboutCocky has a spectacular aura aboutCocky has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by TMRakip

i don't want a new car. i love my Civic. I'm doin an engine build and turbo.. so i wanna stick.
Old 02-28-2005
I went to prison a boy and came out a man with a sore ass!

QBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of light
Hold on, first do you have power windows/doors?
Old 02-28-2005
Registered!!

sictoy is an unknown quantity at this point
talk to jdm_bb he converted his auto to stick
Old 02-28-2005
Registered!!

ACURAwerx is on a distinguished road
if your doing turbo and manual conversion.. just use that money for a full k20 swap, it may be a little more, but it'll be better.. instead of having to worry about the tranny swap and then turbo
Old 02-28-2005
Fiji Club Member

HondaGuy12 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ACURAwerx
if your doing turbo and manual conversion.. just use that money for a full k20 swap, it may be a little more, but it'll be better.. instead of having to worry about the tranny swap and then turbo

i second this..why not just do the more powerful swap. then turbo that....i vote for this also...
Old 02-28-2005
Cocky guys kick ass!

Originally Posted by QBoi
Hold on, first do you have power windows/doors?
shut up.. lol.. i will soon!

i'm just gonna build the d17.
Old 02-28-2005
Registered!!

c kim is an unknown quantity at this point
The least hassle is to sell your car and look for another civic thats stick.
You'll most likely save money and time doing this.
Old 02-28-2005
Registered!!

hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
your auto tranny should be more valuable money wise then a manual tranny. if you can find someone to buy your auto tranny you can then buy a manual tranny and basically just pay for the labor. i'm sure it wont be a straight up swap so some fabrication will be involved. basically, i think its one of the stupidest things anyone can do to a civic. the car is worth about 8k..... wasting more then 1000$ to swap a tranny on a civic seems borderline retarded to me.

i think it would be a lot easier if you take off all your mods, get a civic that is stick shift and just reinstall all the mods. that way you'll get a car that was already designed to be stick.

my opinion though..... cant forget that the car is a civic and will always be a civic.
Old 02-28-2005
Boosting Daily

EternalBlue_Vic is a jewel in the roughEternalBlue_Vic is a jewel in the roughEternalBlue_Vic is a jewel in the rough
IMO, if you have to ask, ur already in over your head.

This is what you're going to need:

--EM2 LX/DX or Ex transmission. Make sure it comes with the clutch fork! (Ex would be best performance wise, we have closer gears)
--Manual Center Console
--Stock shifter assembly or Revo Shifter assembly (w/ CapYoda's bushings and Grey's upgrade kit) (If you go to honda to buy their stock shifter, the revo may be cheaper, and its MUCH better 1.5" lower and 30% less shifter throw.)
--Shift ****
--Boot cover
--Gear linkage from the shifter to the top of the trans along with washers, clips, and bushings. (Hit ur honda dealer up for that)
--Flywheel, ACT Prolite, or Street lite (Auto's use what's called a "Flex Plate", somewhat like a flywheel but not as durable. DO NOT USE THE FLEX PLATE!)
--Pressure Plate/Clutch/Throw out bearing/Pilot bearing- kit (ACT HD00, or something to that effect.
--Clutch Master cylinder, slave cylinder, and hydralic lines. (again, go to ur honda dealer)
--Clutch pedal w/ misc parts such as bolts, etc. (Honda again)
--Clutch position sensor (yes..honda) (manuals won't crank unless the clutch is engaged which closes the circuit on the CP sensor, so some wiring into the ECU is required.)
--And if it were me--> Manual Instrument console.

If you have anymore ?'s, PM me

EDIT:

One thing i'm not sure about is if the gear teeth (name?) on an auto flex plate and a manual flywheel are the same or not. If not, you'll need a matching starter gear on the starter solinoid.

Last edited by EternalBlue_Vic; 02-28-2005 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-28-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Cocky
shut up.. lol.. i will soon!

i'm just gonna build the d17.
why? It won't be much more to k20swap... Your car won't even be fast as a d17 turbo... there are so many people on here with the sf kit that run mid 14s and have so many problems with their set up.....with a k20, the potential is limitless, even if you can't turbo or build it right away, just swap it first then start building it little by little, like iceberg did. With a k20 you can drive thru the RED
Old 02-28-2005
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
how bout a k20a3? you get a 5 spd with that and its cheaper than an k20a2 and 6m, then all you have to worry about is the interior shift linkages, pedals, and the clutch cylinder and parts.
Old 02-28-2005
Registered!!

^^^ many people believe the k20a3 isn't that great of a upgrade compared to a d17.. money wise its much better to just wait to get a k20a2 or a... i dont believe its that much more either.. i know some people on the site swap their k20a3 out for k20a2, so apparently it sucks

Last edited by ACURAwerx; 02-28-2005 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-28-2005
Registered!!

D5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of light
^^^ many people believe the k20a3 isn't that great of a upgrade compared to a d17.. money wise its much better to just wait to get a k20a2 or a... i dont believe its that much more either.. i know some people on the site swap their k20a3 out for k20a2, so apparently it sucks
i don't think that they think the k20a3 sucks, ppl will always want something better than what they have. once they get the k20a2 eventuallly they will want something else. so its not the fact that the engine sucks, it just the fact that we will never be satisfied with what we have
Old 02-28-2005
Cocky guys kick ass!

Originally Posted by blouisgod
how bout a k20a3? you get a 5 spd with that and its cheaper than an k20a2 and 6m, then all you have to worry about is the interior shift linkages, pedals, and the clutch cylinder and parts.
i don't wanna spend like $3k for 30-40hp. if i do a k20 swap, it'll be the a2.
Old 02-28-2005
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
i'd go with the lx tranny because they have the most aggressive gear ratios. and i have a 5-speed ex ecu if your intrested.
Old 03-01-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by D5cIvIc
i don't think that they think the k20a3 sucks, ppl will always want something better than what they have. once they get the k20a2 eventuallly they will want something else. so its not the fact that the engine sucks, it just the fact that we will never be satisfied with what we have
i know it doesn't suck.. i was just saying. I doubt people aren't satisfied with a k20 turbo
Old 03-01-2005
Registered!!

TMRakip is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Cocky
i don't want a new car. i love my Civic. I'm doin an engine build and turbo.. so i wanna stick.
D17 would suck to build. I built an M3 engine for racing, and now have a 2001 M5 engine for racing as well, depends on my mood

If you're going with a new engine it shouldn't be that bad. Assuming you go the K20 route. Buy the whole set up and just hack apart the center console. You could always to I/H/E if you want your Civic to go fast

Last edited by TMRakip; 03-01-2005 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-01-2005
Boosting Daily

EternalBlue_Vic is a jewel in the roughEternalBlue_Vic is a jewel in the roughEternalBlue_Vic is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ajhdragon
i'd go with the lx tranny because they have the most aggressive gear ratios.
keep thinkin that when i start to pull away at 45, tach out at 55, and layin down in 3rd, when ur still struggling at the top of 2nd @ 60mph

Old 03-01-2005
Cocky guys kick ass!

i might just go k20a2 and turbo, and build it later on.. especially if the 5 speed tranny for the d17 is $1400+. I need a list of what i need for the k20a2 swap so i can get a price from this Honda place. Anyone have the link to it?