Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Econo-car favorites?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jpan_home is on a distinguished road
Econo-car favorites?

Hi,

I'm looking for a car for my sister, and these are the things I look for:
(1) must be decently cheap to purchase (about $5000US, or $7-8000CDN)
(2) must be fairly recent (1998+)
(3) must be decent in terms of build quality
(4) must have plenty of similar cars available in junkyards for parts if I need to go
(5) must be relatively cheap to repair
(6) must be good on gas
(7) must have some sort of modding room (least important)

Based on this, the list of cars I came up with is:
(1) Civic (1998-2000)
(2) Older-style Echo (up to 2000/2001)
(3) VW Golf
(4) Hyundai Accent (around 2000)
(5) Kia Rio or Spectra
(6) Mazda Protege

That's pretty much it... do you have anything else you'd suggest? And what do you think of the cars I have listed? What would you prefer?

Thanks a lot!

James
Old 02-14-2005
The Wierdest and Funniest Mofo 7th Gen Has Ever Seen As Voted

_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of
Civic or corolla dude nuff said on that topic...

Ehco = Ugly
VW golf= Money Pit
Accent = No comment
Kia= throw away car
Mazda= problems all around and low resale
Old 02-14-2005
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
Civics are cool. VW's have had issues, older Korean cars aren't worth it... ummm Mazda's are also pretty good.

Half that list is pretty good.
Old 02-14-2005
Stolen digital camera = no ninja picture for me

PoorCollegeBoy is a jewel in the roughPoorCollegeBoy is a jewel in the roughPoorCollegeBoy is a jewel in the rough
Mazda Protoge5's- great looking, good versatility, great handling, decent acceleration, nice interiors. I really wanted one, but they are somewhat hard to come by as manuals, and in a specific color.
Old 02-14-2005
Registered!!

What's wrong with VW golf?? I thought they're pretty solid...
As for the Mazda Protege5, I've heard plenty of good thigns about them... are there particular problems I should know about? (other than low-resale value, because that's why we're looking to buy one)

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2005

PoorCollegeBoy is a jewel in the roughPoorCollegeBoy is a jewel in the roughPoorCollegeBoy is a jewel in the rough
Consumer Reports said something to the effect of; "We cannot recommend any VW's at this time due to the overwhelming number of customer complaints, and mechanical recalls", or something similar. I don't know a single person with a VW who has gone problem free for too long. I would say to stick with Honda, Toyota, and if need be, Mazda.
Old 02-14-2005
jdmtytedoridori
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
Yeah, one of my friends has a 2000 jetta, numerous electrical problems and the engine is over 20 years old..they are still using the 2.0l 8valve engine from like 1984. these days the jetta/golf is the only vw made outside of their home country, his is entirely made in mexico. im not rippin on mexico, but i think that they would be better if they were made in germany. just like the 98-99 mercedes ML class that was made over here....sooo many problems with those.

I would say definitely go with a corolla or civic, civic for the gas milage.
Old 02-14-2005

Yea, I have a friend with an old Jetta and he says their reliability all boils down to where they are made, which is revealed by the VIN.
Old 02-14-2005
Registered!!

Ur, Member's Ride?
Old 02-14-2005
Registered!!

socalcivic02 is an unknown quantity at this point
teh mazda protege that i had was a great car, but make sure you get the 2.0L or 1.8L engine if you get one. the 1.6 is fun but only 103-105 hp

and i am fond of the civics from those years also.
Old 02-14-2005
Owned By Slo Rex

Day_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questioned
I have loved the 99-00 Civics
Old 02-14-2005
Registered!!

01-BLUEBird is an unknown quantity at this point
it makes no sense. why would you want a car that is found in the junkyard but then again you want a reliable car. its kinda like saying "good and bad" at the same time. doesnt quite make sense..
Old 02-14-2005
Type Skivic

TeRRoRiFiC35 is an unknown quantity at this point
civic hatch, but since its for a chick ull prob wanna go wit either the sedan or coupe. 240 is always a good choice
Old 02-14-2005
Registered!!

fuzzylogic426 is an unknown quantity at this point
^^i think jpan home was trying to say that there needs to be a good amount of those cars on the road, just in case he needs some parts. i dont think he wants to get one from the junkyard.
Old 02-14-2005
Registered!!

hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by jpan_home
Hi,

(1) must be decently cheap to purchase (about $5000US, or $7-8000CDN)
(2) must be fairly recent (1998+)
Those 2 statements are sort of contradictory. A decent economy car like a Civic or Corolla 1998+ will run around $7,000 in decent shape and decent mileage.

Around 5k you can prolyl get like a 94-96 Civic with high mileage and who knows what shape..

Other cars you listed like Mazda you can find for about $5k being 1998+ but they will be junk and will end up costing much more then 5k.

When I worked at a car dealership I noticed a certain trend in car shopping. For normal daily driving cars you either want to buy a car that is less then $2,000 or more then $7,000 because everything in between is most likely junk. If you buy a cheap 2k$ beater then you invest a thousand or two into it and you got it running good and safe so you got yourself a decent car for about 3k. Above $7k dollars are all decent cars so no problem there.

However, that gap between the 2k-7k cars is where the junk is at most of the time..... these days you cannot find a decent car for 5 grand..... you get a car for 5 grand and it will most likely be at a point where everythign is breaking non stop so you will have to invest a coupel thousnad into it on repairs. So the 5k car will cost you about 7k-8k and you're sitll stuck with a POS.

This is pretty general but this is what I learned form working at a used car dealership. Hope it helps.
Old 02-14-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 01-BLUEBird
it makes no sense. why would you want a car that is found in the junkyard but then again you want a reliable car. its kinda like saying "good and bad" at the same time. doesnt quite make sense..
Yeah, Fuzzy on top is right... I'm looking for a car that has plenty of following so that in case I need parts I can go to the junkyard to find them (instead of the dealership).

However, my sister apparently has her eyes set on an Integra... damn... so we saw a 98 Integra with about 100,000 KM on it... for a decent price... but I'm not sure what insurance would say about it though, considering she's getting her license in a couple of months...

Thanks for all your inputs though! Appreciate the help!
Old 02-14-2005
jdmtytedoridori
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
intergra ls shouldn't be too bad on insurance
Old 02-14-2005
Registered!!

MR. CIVIC has a little shameless behaviour in the past
geo metro
Old 02-15-2005
Type Skivic

TeRRoRiFiC35 is an unknown quantity at this point
just make sure ur sister dont get a better car than u. my spoiled *** sister got a celica gt's(yes a ****in faster car than mine, but fuglier) after she got her liscence n she has yet to get a job to pay for anythin. i on the other hand was givin the skivic n had to pay for half of it. the worst part is that so far she's hit 3 cars in parkin lots, cant parallel park for ****(she went up the curb n scrapped the hell out of her sideskirt), n she is afraid to go over bridges wit cars on either side of her.