Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

P&P Worth the money?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HyaBoosta will become famous soon enough
P&P Worth the money?????

I was talking to a few people on honda tech and they were saying that on a SOHC it really doesn't make to big of a difference as far as power gains by port and polishing the head. Has anyone else seen and dyno figures on a P&P on either a d17 or d16? I am working on another block to boost even higher on and I was going to do Pistons,Rods,Cam,and Sleeves. I was wondering if it would be worth the money to go the extra step?(Keep in mind that by doing the P&P i will also have to have a valve job done which cost more too) I think that since P&P does not do anything more than add some extra power and doesn't do anything as far as strengthening the enigne I should be safe for 300whp. Of course this is just my opinion on the subject but how do you guys feel about it?(Oh and no saying "if your going to do it all then do it right" or "might as well go the extra step" because money doesn't fly out my @$$ so every dollar counts )
Old 11-08-2004
Registered!!

BlackFire is an unknown quantity at this point
Well... trust me it does!! I don't know about how much it would be on turbo setups, but I do know that it gives a lot of power on D16Y7 engones on the 6th gen Civic DX.
My brother owns a 2000 Civic DX Hatchback, I had a 2001 Pontiac Sunfire before my Civic, everytime we raced I just won for more than 3 cars. One day his engine got overheated and he needed to "brush" the head, but he decided to make the port and polish work too on the machine shop, they even gave 3 angle cut to the valves, and guess what??....
After the engine were running right and everything got fixed, we raced again.... The sunfire launched much better cause it have more torque, but on 2nd gear... he got me, on third..... He was 2 cars in front of me! So yes.... P&P do a lot on D16Y7 wich is a SOHC NON VTEC engine, but not sure how much would it do to a D17. My recommendation: Try it!! That's not too expensive if you just take the head to the shop and you install it yourself .

Good Luck!!

Last edited by BlackFire; 11-08-2004 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-08-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
I just did mine and milled .10 off the head too. I'm just waiting to get my gaskets and head studs. I might have access to a dyno but I can't promise anything yet.
Old 11-08-2004
Registered!!

Good Luck Rufus!!
Hope everything turns out good!
Old 11-08-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Not all that great unless you go turbo. One member here was somehow able to get 138whp with a manual d17, but he had tons of other mods to go with it. Did you see my dyno? After the pnp, the car only got up to 100whp after tuning. I have an auto, but still that's kinda low.
Old 11-08-2004
Registered!!

Gearbox, you have an Automatic transmission, Any Honda with Automatic trans. is waaaay sloww (YEAH, EVEN ACCORD V6 ARE SOOO SLOW WITH AUTOMATIC)!!! so don't say P&P will not do anything at all just because it did not make your car fast. It's a good and worthy modification on ANY CAR if it is done right. Maybe yours is not done right. But my brother's SOHC NON VTEC feels A LOT better after the P&P.
Old 11-08-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah like I said, another member with pnp got alot better gain. So mine is prolly messed up. It looks like the ports are too big for NA on mine. Oh well, good if I ever get a turbo on there.
Old 11-08-2004
Registered!!

dvsdara is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by BlackFire
Gearbox, you have an Automatic transmission, Any Honda with Automatic trans. is waaaay sloww (YEAH, EVEN ACCORD V6 ARE SOOO SLOW WITH AUTOMATIC)!!!
Are you Nucking Futs?!?! Maybe the 94-97 Accords. After those years is when the V6 Accords were more common. Equipped with a 3.0L VTEC V6. It was sure in hell quick enough for me. The new ones have what, a 3.2 VTEC V6 I believe. Even an auto is quick. Have you driven the Acura Legend? Its a pretty quick car. A lot of power and potential behind those engines.
Old 11-09-2004
Registered!!

exturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant future
my boy has a 2003 v6 6spd accord and that thing is fast a ****..but the auto's are much slower then his. too bad they dont make anyhting for those cars. besides intake and catback. o well.
Old 11-09-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by dvsdara
Are you Nucking Futs?!?! Maybe the 94-97 Accords. After those years is when the V6 Accords were more common. Equipped with a 3.0L VTEC V6. It was sure in hell quick enough for me. The new ones have what, a 3.2 VTEC V6 I believe. Even an auto is quick. Have you driven the Acura Legend? Its a pretty quick car. A lot of power and potential behind those engines.
97-2002 v6 automatic accords are very slow, I've raced some of them, and I've beaten them. They are slow!
Acura Legend... umm.. I believe that's an exception. 97-02 accords doesn't have the same engine as the Legend, wich is 205hp.
03+Accords are quicker, but not the automatic, they just make 15.6, while the Manual 6spd V6 is much faster.
Old 11-09-2004

Thread Hijack! Call bush!
Old 11-10-2004
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by HyaBoosta

Word.
Old 11-10-2004
Registered!!

dvsdara is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by HyaBoosta
Haha...my bad man. Didn't mean to jack your thread.
Old 11-10-2004
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
boosted it will be definatly worth it. you will make the same power at a low boost setting than you would a hi setting on a stock head.
Old 11-10-2004

im not sure it will make that big of a change
Old 11-10-2004
Registered!!

DrOpPeD2k2CiViC is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by BlackFire
Well... trust me it does!! I don't know about how much it would be on turbo setups, but I do know that it gives a lot of power on D16Y7 engones on the 6th gen Civic DX.
My brother owns a 2000 Civic DX Hatchback, I had a 2001 Pontiac Sunfire before my Civic, everytime we raced I just won for more than 3 cars. One day his engine got overheated and he needed to "brush" the head, but he decided to make the port and polish work too on the machine shop, they even gave 3 angle cut to the valves, and guess what??....
After the engine were running right and everything got fixed, we raced again.... The sunfire launched much better cause it have more torque, but on 2nd gear... he got me, on third..... He was 2 cars in front of me! So yes.... P&P do a lot on D16Y7 wich is a SOHC NON VTEC engine, but not sure how much would it do to a D17. My recommendation: Try it!! That's not too expensive if you just take the head to the shop and you install it yourself .

Good Luck!!
thats also b.c when his car overheated it prob warped the head and they prob miled the head or "brush" as you said. That will cause the compression to be higher also. That was probably more of the gain than anything