Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Grrr...need Paint!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sampsonite is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Grrr...need Paint!

Yeah...I'm a little peeved today!

I had a small accident a few weeks back and need to replace the front bumper cover, engine splash guard and left fender liner. I can do that myself for a little over 300, I think.

Someone hit my car with a grocery cart while i was at work this wnter and now the paint is chipping off of my driver side fender, so I need to get that repainted.

When I first moved to Minnesota, I was run off of the road by a soccer mom. I had to replace the rocker panel and mirrors as well as have the rear fender popped out. My mom got a recommendation from the realtor. The estimate was about 200 less than everywhere else.

Well now a little less than two years later the paint is chipping off of the rocker panel. There is also a rust spot in it. On the passenger door the paint they put on is chipping too!

I'm going to be very close to getting my whole car repainted this summer! Here's the breakdown:

Driver side Fender
-Blend with Bumper, door and rocker and hood

Passneger side door and Rocker panel
-Blend with fender and quarter panel
[EDIT:
I was so pissed i went back out to look at the car. I found another spot where there's a paint chip missing!]

Passenger Rocker Panel
-Blend with Trunk and rear bumper

That basically leaves the rear fender on the driver side, the roof, trunk lid and rear bumper! I'm soooo damn cranky right now! I'm thinking I might see how much it is to get my whole car repainted! Any suggestions on a new color?!

PS: Anyone know of a good shop in the St.Paul/Minneapolis area? Want to hook me up with a good deal? :-P

Last edited by Sampsonite; 03-31-2004 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-31-2004
Registered!!

Civicious is an unknown quantity at this point
I feel your pain. I need paint too! Has anyone here had an experience with Maaco? I was thinking of getting my car repainted Satin Silver.
Old 03-31-2004
Registered!!

That's where I took my car two years ago! If you want paint that will chip and has imperfections stuck in it, go to Maaco! I learned my lesson!
Old 03-31-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by Sampsonite
That's where I took my car two years ago! If you want paint that will chip and has imperfections stuck in it, go to Maaco! I learned my lesson!
Ya it's funny. It seems some people I talk to say their paint chiped or faded and others say they had no problems at all.

I think everyone I talked to has said regardless the paint will only last up to 2 - 3 years and you need to do your own prep work. Did you paint your whole car? If so how much did the paint job cost and how long did your paint last before it chipped? I plan on getting rid of my car within the year so I'm not too worried for the long term.
Old 03-31-2004
Registered!!

When all was said and done, they painted the passenger side of my car. They got paint on the door interior. Not a big fan of random silver on black. As for how long it lasted, it lasted less than two years.

As for you not caring how long the paint lasts, that's a little ruthless man! Just think about the kid that is going to have that car next! He's going to love that car and a year or so down the line your cheap *** paint job starts coming off of the OEM paint job! He's going to be friggin pissed!

Put yourself in his shoes! :-) It may seem like more, but its worth it!
Old 03-31-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by Sampsonite
When all was said and done, they painted the passenger side of my car. They got paint on the door interior. Not a big fan of random silver on black. As for how long it lasted, it lasted less than two years.

As for you not caring how long the paint lasts, that's a little ruthless man! Just think about the kid that is going to have that car next! He's going to love that car and a year or so down the line your cheap *** paint job starts coming off of the OEM paint job! He's going to be friggin pissed!

Put yourself in his shoes! :-) It may seem like more, but its worth it!
Well I'm kinda already in "his" shoes. I do not plan on selling the car to an individual I plan on trading it in. It's not worth it to throw 2000+ bucks on a nice paint job so I can just trade it in for a new one. I understand what you are saying though. If I planned on keeping the car longer I would put a more decent paint job on it.