Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

It runs!!! The k20 LIVES!! (she's home.)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
joedc5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Already showed honda that pacage :-)

Joedc5
Old 01-09-2004
You boost, I-VTEC
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the rough
well heres an update, not a good one, but a update none the less.

The car is done, RSX ecu is sitting in it, but i can't get it flashed. When i had the RSX towed and compacted they took the title and destroyed with it. Therefore i no longer have a title, i need a title to get the ECU flashed by Acura. It's basically a dead end, theres nuthing i can do. The only hope is that my friend and i can figure out how to bypass the immobilizer, which won't be easy but might be able to be done. If thats the fact i won't have a immobilizer but i'll have a car. I can't beleave after all this time this is what is holding me back...to say the least i am not a happy camper. Hopefully we'll be able to figure it out.
Old 01-09-2004
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
Cant you just try to get used stock type s ECU then get immobilized?
Old 01-09-2004
Post Whore General

Jodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the rough
Go to ephatch.com and PM a member named Port. He knows how to by-pass the immobilizer.
Old 01-09-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

Hawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the rough
pm'd, thanks for the tip jodster.
Old 01-09-2004
Registered!!

You can but then you don't have an immobilzer which makes this car extremly easy to steal. Hawk since you helped me with the power steering I will help you with this. I was in the same situation and I called hondata to remove the Immobilizer for the JDM ECU. Great and all but you need to cut a key exactly like the key of the car but make sure IT HAS NO IMMOBILIZER CHIP or your car will not start. I felt unsafe about this and I wanted my immobilizer!! I had over 13,000 under the hood and I was not about to loose it!! Here is exactly what you need to do. Find a junkyard (ere is one in Miami but I don't remember the name) that has THE ECU, TRANSPONDER, KEY AND CYLINDER LOCK. Mine costs $350 for all the parts. Then take out the stock civic ECU and take the case apart and then take the RSX ecu metal case apart and swap them because they exact except the RSX ecu mounts differently so you need to use the Civic ECU case in order to return the Ecu into it's stock location! Now you take apart the civic cylinder lock and swap it that of the RSX with the matching key and ECU. Be carefull and handle the cylinder lock carefully. Almost done. Now the transponder of the RSX needs to mounter right where the civic one goes and all you need to do is plug it in. Now you have one key from Acura and one key only to start the beast so I recommend goin to acura and have a T5 copy made. keep your civc key for your door locks, trunk etc... But use the RSX key to start the car!! Yours is easy because of the type S. Mine, heheh wasn't. I had to send the ECU to hondata and have the ITR program JDM installed and the vtech presure switch had to be romoved thats hardware removal and guess what that cost a hole lot extra so I don't have check engine light! That ended up costing an additional $800 on top of the ECU components. The JDM motor has no I-Vtech pressure switch but USA models do and the ECU looks for it and I needed removed so I would not go in limp mode. Hope this helps. WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T REMOVE THE IMMOBILZER BECAUSE YOUR CAR WILL GET STOLEN UNLESS YOU LIVE IN A CRIME FREE AREA! I know because I know this happened. These cars are very hard to take and most theifs no about this model and immobilizer and avoid taken it but if anyone knows about the immobilizer removal near you and it gets to the wrong person consider your car gone. I am just lettin you know because I don't want anyone takin your car. I know how pissed, hurt and bad I would feel. Take care Hawk and good luck and let me know how you make out!!

Sincerely,
Joe M.
Old 01-09-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

i've been looking around for a ECU key immobilizer, but its not exactly the easiest thing to find unless you get one from the dealer for 1500 bucks.

I've been working on 2 options sence my last post, i might have something goin with alittle under the table deal at acura.

i'll keep the thread updated. Thanks alot for the sugestion and i'll keep that in mind if my new idea falls through.
Old 01-09-2004
Registered!!

csjrishere is an unknown quantity at this point
Its about time you are getting this thing wrapped up.

Would the dealer be willing to take a copy of the title of the destroyed RSX? If so I may still have a copy of the title to that car at work somewhere. It is not a sure thing but I can look for it and even may be able to make a few calls on Monday.

Let me know and I will do my best for you!!
Old 01-10-2004
Registered!!

BumpinCivic2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hawk, if nothing else works, Hondata knows how to disable the immobilizer from the ecu and i THINK it is around 300 bucks for them to do it...could be a possibility if your options don't go through.
Old 01-10-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

Originally posted by csjrishere
Its about time you are getting this thing wrapped up.

Would the dealer be willing to take a copy of the title of the destroyed RSX? If so I may still have a copy of the title to that car at work somewhere. It is not a sure thing but I can look for it and even may be able to make a few calls on Monday.

Let me know and I will do my best for you!!
the man is back!!

And btw, We know it runs now

if you can get me that title i will be in dept to you forever!!! please see what you can do!

Originally posted by BumpinCivic2k1
Hawk, if nothing else works, Hondata knows how to disable the immobilizer from the ecu and i THINK it is around 300 bucks for them to do it...could be a possibility if your options don't go through.
I already talked to Hondata, they said they can't remove immobilizers anymore. I'm trying to find a way of doin this while keeping the immobilizer, i don't know if i'd feel safe without it.

Last edited by Hawk; 01-10-2004 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-10-2004
Registered!!

You won't feel safe. If you really need to remove the immobilzer cal hasport 1-602-470-0065 and talk to Joe Soyer and tell him you know Joe Montuori with the The RSX type-r swap and tell him I sent you to him to have the immobilizer removed. He knows one of the guys at hondata and I am sure he can help! Hope this helps.

Joe
Old 01-10-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

Originally posted by joedc5
You won't feel safe. If you really need to remove the immobilzer cal hasport 1-602-470-0065 and talk to Joe Soyer and tell him you know Joe Montuori with the The RSX type-r swap and tell him I sent you to him to have the immobilizer removed. He knows one of the guys at hondata and I am sure he can help! Hope this helps.

Joe
if i can get a copy of the title from chuck then the problem is solved. All i'll have to do is bring it to acura and have the RSX ECU flashed.

Thanks anyway, and i'll keep that in mind just in case.
Old 01-10-2004
Registered!!

No problem, Good Luck!
Old 01-12-2004
Registered!!

StLVtec is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey hawk i beat you to it mine has been done since friday. It was running perfect the first day then later that night when i got off work. The heater didnt work , i thougt that was odd b/c it worked earlier. And i look back an my car is puffing out lots of smoke out the exhaust. When i got home under by hood was smoking. Later on after it cooled i checked my radiator all the coolant,anti was gone and the secondary bottle was more than half way gone. So i believe i have a leak somewhere. And i dont think my fan is working. What thermostat did you use . I think i have a bad thermo. The shop also said they couldnt use my 02 si fan and motor. Im not sure what they ended up using. There coming out to my house tom. To try and fix it. When they di im gonna do an oil change on it. Even thought they said they did. Also i dont have power steering hooked up yet. They said i need the upper and lower hoses from 02 si. If you could help me out on that hawk or joey let me know if thats what you used or if there is another way. Also no Ac b/c they said I need the 02 si hose or line to connect it. It was running perfect for awhile and man did it pull. The car is very very very loud. I have the jackson race header on there. My car for sure doesnt sound anythin like a civic.
Old 01-12-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

Originally posted by StLVtec
Hey hawk i beat you to it mine has been done since friday. It was running perfect the first day then later that night when i got off work. The heater didnt work , i thougt that was odd b/c it worked earlier. And i look back an my car is puffing out lots of smoke out the exhaust. When i got home under by hood was smoking. Later on after it cooled i checked my radiator all the coolant,anti was gone and the secondary bottle was more than half way gone. So i believe i have a leak somewhere. And i dont think my fan is working. What thermostat did you use . I think i have a bad thermo. The shop also said they couldnt use my 02 si fan and motor. Im not sure what they ended up using. There coming out to my house tom. To try and fix it. When they di im gonna do an oil change on it. Even thought they said they did. Also i dont have power steering hooked up yet. They said i need the upper and lower hoses from 02 si. If you could help me out on that hawk or joey let me know if thats what you used or if there is another way. Also no Ac b/c they said I need the 02 si hose or line to connect it. It was running perfect for awhile and man did it pull. The car is very very very loud. I have the jackson race header on there. My car for sure doesnt sound anythin like a civic.
doesn't sound like a very fun first day man, sorry to hear your having probs.

With the overheating, i beleave your problem might be the shop probably used the k20's ECT sensor, if you look at hasports website it says you need to use the one out of your old motor. If your ECT (engine coolant tempature) sensor isn't working right, your fan will never know to turn on. Your coolant was probably gone cause it burned it all off.

As for the power steering keep in mind i had a whole car, so everything i used for the PS i used from the RSX, all bolted right up and fit perfectly, so i'd say get some RSX parts. As for the AC on hasports site, they say you have to have 2 custom lines made, i'm not planning on putting AC back into my car, i never use it, so why have it? so i'd call hasport and ask them what you can do.

Hope i could help, anymore questions pm me.

Good luck
Old 01-12-2004
Registered!!

Yep Hawk was right! I used the RSX Engine Coolent temp sensor and my motor idled at 3000rpms! and burned off coolant like crazy. As for the raditor I was able to custom fit the RSX radiator in there the only bad part is I had to cut a body hole for the front bumper under the hood to slip the raditor in there. I will weld the clip hole back on sine it sits over the radiator. I also had a whole clip but I had a JDM one so my power steering was all screwy. I had to use a RSX Type- S power steering High pressure hose which I got from my local Acura and paid of course top dollar. As for my fan I bought the one Hondata has for sale and just replaced the fan. They also have a diagram and they send wires with it to hook it up to the under hood fuse box. Mine kicks on when it should and I am pretty happy with the swap. Hey man you think the Type-S pulls?? Man take a ride with me in the type-r. When I swaped the motor and took it for a ride it was like night and day and I felt on top of the world for the first few moments I was pulling onto the highway. I could not belive how fast the dam thing got up to 100mph. Everyone that saw me merging on was like holy sh** and I was sayin to myself this is a Honda a real honda civic and this is how it should be. The type-r has a LSD (limited slip differential) so this thing pulls real hard of the line and I mean hard. What a blast and props to you Hawk and StLVtec for even going through with the swap!! I beat ya bolth though :-) It took 9months to get my motor and only 2 to put it in so I would say the installation was quick but not simple. I am just finishing the suspension set up and it should be done from there. I just ordered my Lambo door kit and I can't wait to put it on. Hey I hope this helps. Hey Hawk how are you doing with that complication you are having with the immobilizer and ECU??
Old 01-12-2004
Registered!!

Correction I bought the fan from HASPORT
Old 01-12-2004
Its a celebration bitches!

HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
don'te tell hondata to take off the imobolizer, tell them to just hondata u so ur key works with the rsx ecu...

btw how much is it to get reflashed at honda/?
Old 01-12-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

Originally posted by HondaLuver
don'te tell hondata to take off the imobolizer, tell them to just hondata u so ur key works with the rsx ecu...

i'm not gonna have the immobilizer removed, i'm in the process of getting a bill of sale for the RSX so i can do it all legally.
Old 01-12-2004
::+::My Girlfriend is hot, but I'm still GAY::+::

yourinmyw0rld has a spectacular aura aboutyourinmyw0rld has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by HondaLuver

it will cost u around $600-700 to reflash
Old 01-13-2004
#1 S2000 Fan

ViNRoCk8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Damn after all this crazy ish that I am reading I think I am just gonna buy an RSX. Screw the swap!

LOL.......

I do commend you guys for all your hard work and time that you have put in this. Good Luck.
Old 01-13-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

Originally posted by yourinmyw0rld
it will cost u around $600-700 to reflash
actually its gonna cost about $200-$300 to get it reflashed at Acura, which will hopefully happen today....
Old 01-13-2004
Registered!!

I give props to people who turbo the 01 civic 1.7l SOHC but I can just that as a waste of money and time. The max I have seen is 235whp with turbo and K20 comes with 200 in the crank and is DOHC. This motor is ready to go with a turbo
Old 01-13-2004
Registered!!

Green Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Are any of you going to write a DIY by any chance? At least for the people that want to learn how to do the swap?
Old 01-13-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

that would be one long diy man. Its been so long sence we started i probably forget half the stuff we did, i can ask my friend what he remembers and what i remember and maybe we can do some sort of write up, i'll have to see.
Old 01-13-2004
Post Whore General

Jodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the rough
Originally posted by joedc5
I give props to people who turbo the 01 civic 1.7l SOHC but I can just that as a waste of money and time. The max I have seen is 235whp with turbo and K20 comes with 200 in the crank and is DOHC. This motor is ready to go with a turbo
Why is it a waste? FYI there is a big difference between 200hp at the crank and 235whp. People like to work with what they got. Others like to swap to something with a little more power. And i think its a waste of time and money to invest more than what the car cost. Yeah the K20 can make more power than the D17, but what good is it going to do when you can't get anywhere? Whats the need for spending $20K for a K20 built and turboed making 600whp when you can build the d17, turbo it, and make 500whp for $10K? Just to be able to say you have a K20 under your hood? Thats all it really boils down too. No everyone has tons of money to do a swap and turbo.
Old 01-13-2004
Registered!!

Green Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Hawk
that would be one long diy man. Its been so long sence we started i probably forget half the stuff we did, i can ask my friend what he remembers and what i remember and maybe we can do some sort of write up, i'll have to see.
You dont have to. I read one by hybridgrarage.com, I think it was them. But it was in a si. I'm really interested in doing the swap, but right now its only a college kid with dreams. I guess you have to start somewhere. I think I'll turbo the d17 because it would be cheaper, atleast for me. And then when I graduate, hopefully it comes in a few years , I'll look into swaping. You did the 5-lug and other things, correct? How hard was that? Would it be possible to do a 5-lug swap with the d17? I guess I'll find a totalled car like you later on and swap everything at once.

And if you do decide to write a DIY, heres some to get started.
Old 01-13-2004
Registered!!

The DIY is at www.hasport.com for the 01 civic.
Also I can't see a D17 motor having 500hp.
Old 01-13-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

Originally posted by Jodster
when you can build the d17, turbo it, and make 500whp for $10K?
is that yen?

As i've said before, sure turboing seems alot cheaper than swaping in the start, but mod for mod the k20 will own d17, if you disagree....well sorry, i guess you researched wrong

To each their own i say, lets not turn this into a flame war turbo vs. swap debate thread please?
Old 01-13-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

Originally posted by Green Civic
You did the 5-lug and other things, correct? How hard was that? Would it be possible to do a 5-lug swap with the d17?
For the 5 lug conversion i used the RSX shocks, lower control arms, and all the brake jazz.

If you have the RSX shocks, hubs, calipers, rear brake lines, ebrake cables, its doable with a D17. Only thing your gonna need done is the CV Shafts, you can probably use Civic inners and RSX outers.

Quick Reply: It runs!!! The k20 LIVES!! (she's home.)