Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Coilovers: KY/GC or Buddy Club N+?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EcoRacerD17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Coilovers: KY/GC or Buddy Club N+?

Hello everyone,

Well I've finally come to a place where I can upgrade my em2's suspension the right way and I've been researching various coilover setups and cruising threads but I kind of want a direct comparison between these two.

What I will use them for:

I'm not gonna "stance" the car, but a 1.5-2'' drop would be nice, primarily the setup needs to be good for autocross. Thinking about GC spring rates of about 450f/550r, what spring do you guys use on yours? (checked the Buddy Clubs are 560f/780r)
Also, going to install a 16mm rear sway bar and run reverse staggered tire setup of 225/45/15 front and 205/50/15 in the back.
Will daily drive the car on 16''s, not concerned about harsh ride; just want the car to rotate easily.

Opinions regarding the setup are welcome and encouraged, as well as preferences and explanations between which coilover setup might be better.

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2013
Registered!!

Speed9117 will become famous soon enough
Re: Coilovers: KY/GC or Buddy Club N+?

I don't think you can go wrong with Konis and Ground Controls. I think it's the best bang for the buck for an entry level track/autocross setup. It's the setup I am planning on going to for my car for autocross.

That being said I don't know much about the Buddy Clubs so I can't really say one way or the other on them.
Old 08-14-2013
Registered!!

Speed9117 will become famous soon enough

Also as a note, the best way to get the EM2 to rotate in autocross is tires in my opinion. I don't know what class you are planning on running, but if you can find a local race tire shop that sells take-offs I would get some used Toyo Ra1s or Hoosiers. They will do more for your car than almost anything else. That would put you in to Street Prepared though.
Old 08-14-2013
Registered!!

Right now I'm running the car on Falken Azensis and it does rotate better than it did on the Yokohama S. Drives, but it still could be better. Planning on running BF Goodrich G-Force Rival tires on it next season though.

Yea, only found one em2 thread and a few RSX's that ran on the Buddy Clubs, but yeah, if I don't hear much else I'll definitely go with the konis since they're still on sale on Tire Rack.

I'll be building the car for STF class in SCCA autox

Last edited by EcoRacerD17; 08-14-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-14-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

If your going to DD the car a lot then I would go with a rate under 600. I'm currently at 300F 500R and it is good for my daily 60 mile commute. If I did auto x and didn't drive it as much I would probably go with a stiffer rate for the better handling.

Just making sure but you have read the instal procedure for the Koni's right? Not direct fit.
Old 08-15-2013
Registered!!

Thanks man, I'll keep that in mind! And yes, there are some difficult things about the Konis, first I need to figure out for sure if my '04 em2 uses the 55mm or 50mm diameter struts, (though at this point I'm pretty sure it's 55mm ones...)
And you're also correct that it's not a direct fit as well, as least as far as I've read on other threads.
Old 08-15-2013
Registered!!

rustycivic is on a distinguished road

Personally, I love Koni/GC. My brother has it on his Accord, and I just purchased them for my car yesterday. Your spring rates seem pretty good. The rear might be a little bouncy, but if you are fine with that, then it looks good.

I haven't heard much about Buddy Club coils.....other than that my one friend who had them in his S2000, had the rears blow within 2 years.
Old 08-17-2013
Registered!!

CGaud is an unknown quantity at this point

I have Buddy Club N+ Coils (RSX Spring Rate F: 10k R: 14k) on my EM2. They are pretty stiff for DD IMO but I guess it all depends on your local road conditions and your commuting route. My plans are to do some autocross in the future but currently I only cruise my local canyons on the weekend. These coils aren't designed to give you that stanced look and I think they would give you your desired drop.

If I were to redo it all over again I wouldn't have gone with such a stiff setup for my daily but the price I picked them up for was too good to resist. The car handles extremely well for me so I really don't have any complaints as far as their performance goes. My suggestion would be to probably go with Koni/GC first (especially since you can still get a deal on them) then later down the road go with some coils. Baby steps