Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Front End Suspension squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012
CO&CA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the rough
Front End Suspension squeaking

Ok, I have been posting quite a bit lately due to all the fun projects I am working on with my EM2 but I recently installed full coilovers on my 04 and the front end squeaks on EVERY small bump. It sounds like rubber on rubber and is definitely coming from the suspension. it was FINE for the first week and the right side started fist and now its BOTH sides..

I have not actually tried anything yet but I dont want to just go around and spray wd-40 or oil / grease etc. and make a **** show of the new components I just put in.

Things may be the culprit by doing some research
- Lower control arm bushings (they look good and are not torn)
- Rubber upper bushing on the top of the coil spring that mounts to the upper plate that sits on the strut bearing. (Its dry and brand new would I have to lube this?)
-Ensure the strut bolt and mounting bolts are tight (they are for sure)

What im looking for is other ideas and what is the best way of diagnosing the issue any other insight would be great.

Also i have never had to lube a bushing or know if that is the right thing to do....

Im having fun during this entire process but the squeaking is unbearable and embarrassing... other than that my car looks great lowered.
Old 03-30-2012
CO&CA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the rough
Re: Front End Suspension squeaking

So after 2 days of digging and chasing the noise it ended up being the upper strut bushing to the coilover top that sits directly on the spring. It was rubbing on the strut post... little white lithium grease took care of it.... for now...