Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

04-05 HFP suspension installed in 02 Civic coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
h4ldol is an unknown quantity at this point
04-05 HFP suspension installed in 02 Civic coupe

Okay, so some of you have probably seen my posts on that resurrected HFP suspension thread. By now, I've found that there is likely no one who has actually gone through with the project of getting a 04-05 HFP suspension kit installed on a 02 Civic coupe, so I've made a new thread in the hopes that this may be of use to someone in the future who wants to do the same thing.

After researching all the part numbers of the front and rear shock absorbers, this is what I've found (of course, much of the info I've gathered is also from old threads on this forum and others):

- Rears are the same in 04-05 as in the 02 (besides the springs).
- Fronts are pretty much the same (springs and rubber stops are differences that do not affect compatibility of the 04-05 HFP suspension in the 02 coupe), the main difference is that the four bolts that attach the damper assembly to the knuckle (2 on each side) are 14mm in the 02 and 16mm in the 04-05 (and 03).
- This leads to the essential problem: the 14mm holes in the 02 civic knuckles are too small for the 16mm bolts of the 04-05 HFP suspension.
- There seem to be two potential solutions:

1. use 14mm bolts, which will fit the 02 knuckle holes (14mm), but which will not fit (too small) the 16mm holes on the HFP suspension. The solution would be to use some sort of 14mm to 16mm adapter to make the 14mm bolt fit the 16mm holes in the HFP suspension. This would avoid any irreversible modifications but I don't know how reliable this option would be mechanically.

2. use 16mm bolts, which will fit the HFP suspension holes (16mm), but will not fit (too large) the 14mm 02 knuckle holes. I am not very knowledgeable in these matters, but it seems that there are two options to address this issue:

a. enlarge/drill the 02 knuckle holes from 14mm to 16mm.

b. replace the 02 knuckles (14mm holes) with 04 knuckles (16mm holes). This, like option 1, would avoid making any irreversible modifications to any parts, but it is the most expensive option as the front left and right knuckle assemblies cost about $250 each.

Any thoughts on which is the best option? Option 1, option 2a, or option 2b?

When searching this forum re: the 14mm/16mm difference issue for other suspensions, someone wrote that you cannot use a suspension with 16mm bolts/holes with a 02 civic that has 14mm holes (on the knuckles) for some reason that was not explained. Anyone have any ideas or thoughts about that?

Anyway, I'll be getting my HFP suspension kit this week so I'll take some pics when I get it and see if that helps at all in making a decision on how best to proceed...

Last edited by h4ldol; 09-03-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-08-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: 04-05 HFP suspension on 02 civic: how best to solve the 14mm/16mm issue?

this may surprise you, but most coil over manufactures only make one model for 01-05 civics and simply include a set of reducing washers for 01-02 models. At the minimum that's the case for tein and k-sport, so go with the solution that actual suspension engineers have designed, tested and decided is the best.

Order 4 of this part.
http://www.ksportusa.com/store/index...products_id=49
Old 08-08-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MindBomber
this may surprise you, but most coil over manufactures only make one model for 01-05 civics and simply include a set of reducing washers for 01-02 models. At the minimum that's the case for tein and k-sport, so go with the solution that actual suspension engineers have designed, tested and decided is the best.

Order 4 of this part.

fixed
Old 08-08-2011
Registered!!

this may surprise you, but most coil over manufactures only make one model for 01-05 civics and simply include a set of reducing washers for 01-03 models. At the minimum that's the case for tein and k-sport, so go with the solution that actual suspension engineers have designed, tested and decided is the best.

Order 4 of this part.
Thank you kindly! This does seem like the easiest and definitely the cheapest option of the three I listed above. Only thing is, would these reducing washers made by these aftermarket companies for their own suspension products, fit the HFP suspension as well as they would their own suspension kits?

Thanks again!
Old 08-08-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by h4ldol
Thank you kindly! This does seem like the easiest and definitely the cheapest option of the three I listed above. Only thing is, would these reducing washers made by these aftermarket companies for their own suspension products, fit the HFP suspension as well as they would their own suspension kits?

Thanks again!
Yup, the part is universal.

Please post a review of the HFP suspension when you have it on, no many people use it so it would be great to hear your impressions.
Old 08-08-2011
You Stay Classy, San Diego

jamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nice

you need 8 actually. But seriously get a ruler out and measure how tiny 2mm actually is. people have no concept of the difference. It really makes no difference whether you run them or not. I freaked out because I got coilovers that were for an 03+ and honestly I put the stock bolt through and realized it doesn't matter like at all. If you torque the bolts down there's no damage that you're going to do. Like seriously. Ive seen way too many people freak out over this and its not a big deal at all. 2mm is probably less than the tolerance on some of the lower priced suspensions. im actually pissed that people even brought up this issue like 5 years ago in the first place. I guarantee if they weren't labeled and people didnt go around saying you needed them you'd never know when you bolt them on.
Old 08-08-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by jamis33
you need 8 actually. But seriously get a ruler out and measure how tiny 2mm actually is. people have no concept of the difference. It really makes no difference whether you run them or not. I freaked out because I got coilovers that were for an 03+ and honestly I put the stock bolt through and realized it doesn't matter like at all. If you torque the bolts down there's no damage that you're going to do. Like seriously. Ive seen way too many people freak out over this and its not a big deal at all. 2mm is probably less than the tolerance on some of the lower priced suspensions. im actually pissed that people even brought up this issue like 5 years ago in the first place. I guarantee if they weren't labeled and people didnt go around saying you needed them you'd never know when you bolt them on.
I was told 4 by k-sport, it didn't seem quite right, but the rep insisted, I guess we'll see if I'm short when they arrive.

2mm is really minor, but when it comes to suspension components I don't cut any corners. I rather not take chances with suspension and brakes, if that means buying a drill bit or a few washers to put things back to the tolerances engineers designed so be it.
Old 08-08-2011
Registered!!

Yup, the part is universal.

Please post a review of the HFP suspension when you have it on, no many people use it so it would be great to hear your impressions.
Excellent, thanks!

I will take some pics of the HFP kit when it arrives for posterity and before/after HFP pics of the car as well. And I'll post my thoughts on the HFP suspension after trying it out for a bit.

I called a few Honda service departments for installation and one place quoted over $1000 just for installation and alignment and two others quoted around $400-450 for the same. Maybe it's because they do these so rarely (and fewer every year I would guess) but they were all basing it off a full day of labor. I was hoping to get it done for around $200-300 but if they're all quoting above $400, then I guess I'll have to just get it done.
Old 08-08-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

$400 is fair, your paying a bit of a premium going to a Honda dealership but that's well worth it for most people. The idea that it would take a full day of labour is laughable though, I could do it in under 2 hours without rushing.

Oh and I just want to point out that Jamis33 has a totally valid point, I just respectfully disagree.
Old 08-08-2011
Registered!!

$400 is fair, your paying a bit of a premium going to a Honda dealership but that's well worth it for most people. The idea that it would take a full day of labour is laughable though, I could do it in under 2 hours without rushing.

Oh and I just want to point out that Jamis33 has a totally valid point, I just respectfully disagree.
Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better about the price.

I can see how Jamis33 could be correct, but I'm with you -- I am really **** and paranoid about these kind of things and wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing that I have 14mm bolts in 16mm holes in my suspension.

I ordered the reducing washers from ksport and the HFP kit should arrive on Wednesday, so maybe I could get this done sometime in the next 1-2 weeks.

Thanks to everyone here for all the help. Can't wait!
Old 08-08-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

hunh.
The washers are cheap enough, all right, so why not?
The 2mm will cause a little more work to adjust the camber? Maybe tightened more to keep the alignment in place? Questions fer the future, i guess.?
Potential risks? Maybe more frequent alignments if not torqued down enough? Breaking they most likely will not.
Old 08-10-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by jamis33
you need 8 actually.
Damn, I didn't notice that before because you're right -- you need 4 each for the left and right front damper assemblies. It wouldn't be a big deal if ksport didn't charge exorbitant shipping charges for these tiny little washers. My mistake though, I should have thought it through before placing my order.

Anyway, here is the unpacking of the 04-05 HFP suspension kit (f'ing heavy!):

Old 08-10-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Damn, I didn't notice that before because you're right -- you need 4 each for the left and right front damper assemblies. It wouldn't be a big deal if ksport didn't charge exorbitant shipping charges for these tiny little washers. My mistake though, I should have thought it through before placing my order.

Anyway, here is the unpacking of the 04-05 HFP suspension kit (f'ing heavy!):
Damn, that makes me mad because I thought the same thing, but the k-sport rep told me there were two in each pack. I guess I need to order more too, and I get to pay crazy cross border shipping fees.
Old 08-11-2011
You Stay Classy, San Diego

jamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nice

Damn, that makes me mad because I thought the same thing, but the k-sport rep told me there were two in each pack. I guess I need to order more too, and I get to pay crazy cross border shipping fees.
Thats why I cut the corners. Cross border shipping is rediculous. I'm running them now but honestly I only got 6 and my suspension has not shifted at all. I've had one alignment and i adjust my suspension all the time and I don't go through tires at all. I'm still on my first set after 4 years. and thats track weekends and hard driving. I don't think they'll last much longer tho because boost tends to help them break loose a little eaier.
Old 08-11-2011
Registered!!

Got the ksport reducing washers today. They're not quite what I was expecting, but they will hopefully do the trick. I don't have a 14mm bolt/nut on hand, but I assume it will be long enough to accommodate the extra 3-4mm that the reducing washer adds to the 'length' (because 1-2mm on each washer sticks outside of the hole). And the part that sticks inside the hold (the reducing part) goes only about halfway through the hold, but if the nut is securely attached to the bolt, then it should be okay (e.g. the reducing washer won't 'fall out' of the hole). The last pic is, of course, not the way the washers would fit (they would be on the 'outside' of the two holes, not the same side).

Old 02-06-2015
Registered!!

In case anyone is still (or ever) interested, the HFP is not a bad suspension. It definitely gives a firmer ride with modestly better handling/driving feel, but not so much that it's uncomfortable also. I use this car as my daily driver to drive 100 miles round trip to work and I have no problems at all with comfort. My mom did think that riding in this car is not very comfortable though so take that FWIW. In terms of drop, I can't remember the official number but on my '02 Civic with 10 years old stock suspension (I installed the HFP in 2011) it made no visible difference, probably because the stock suspension had dropped over time to the same level. I'm satisfied with it and like that I have no problems going in and out of driveways, parking lots, etc.

I'll post some pics of it once I get my new 15" (don't laugh, I didn't want to get new tires and don't love large rims on the EM2) Enkei black wheels.
Old 09-02-2015
Registered!!

Pier7866 is an unknown quantity at this point

In case anyone is still (or ever) interested, the HFP is not a bad suspension. It definitely gives a firmer ride with modestly better handling/driving feel, but not so much that it's uncomfortable also. I use this car as my daily driver to drive 100 miles round trip to work and I have no problems at all with comfort. My mom did think that riding in this car is not very comfortable though so take that FWIW. In terms of drop, I can't remember the official number but on my '02 Civic with 10 years old stock suspension (I installed the HFP in 2011) it made no visible difference, probably because the stock suspension had dropped over time to the same level. I'm satisfied with it and like that I have no problems going in and out of driveways, parking lots, etc.

I'll post some pics of it once I get my new 15" (don't laugh, I didn't want to get new tires and don't love large rims on the EM2) Enkei black wheels.
Well I just join this forum and found some really good thing about 7th generation civic. I drive a 2001 4DR and I only like genuine oem parts and accessories. I did my civic hfp for couple of years now and on top I have a brand new HFP suspension as spare as well. Since my suspension was installed by Honda dealer we did not use the reducing washers or anything because the technician mentioned that once the two lower bolts that attaches the struts to the knuckles are tighten it would not move and boy they were right since than I never had any issues but yeah my 01 civic is equipped completely with HFP suspension, HFP body kit original from Honda, HFP 16" alloy wheels and finally HFP stainless steel chrome muffler. My Honda was dropped a 1/2 inch but the ride is amazing. That is why I love original and genuine Honda parts and accessories.