Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Front Suspension Rattling: Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LividHatred is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Front Suspension Rattling: Bushings

I have a 2001 Civic LX Sedan, and after I took my car to my dad's friend (a mechanic) to replace my front passenger side CV drive axle, he told me my bushings were worn and needed to be replaced.

Since then, I've noticed that whenever I go over rough areas or sharp bumps (speed humps are OK), I can hear a rattling sound from the front driver's side. The steering is fine and the alignment is fine; it doesn't pull or anything, but it just feels loose and the vibrations can be felt in the steering wheel from time to time.

I also know that the rotors are slightly warped (choppy braking) and I plan on having them replaced with the pads when I get the bushings replaced, but the problem is, I have no idea what parts I need to buy.

Now, I'll be honest, I don't know diddly squat about suspensions, and when the mechanic said "buy the parts and I'll do the labor for $80 during your next oil change" it seemed like a great deal...but I have no idea where to start as far as getting the necessary parts.

Can just the bushings be replaced, or does the entire control arm & bushings need to be replaced? (IE, is it like the CV in the fact you replace the drive axle instead of the joint itself?) What are all the parts I need to purchase? What price range should I expect as far as purchasing the parts required? I'm not interested in modifying the car at all, so OEM parts are what I'm looking for.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 06-29-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Front Suspension Rattling: Bushings

well front lca bushings are sold separately, i have the energy suspension ones which are much stronger than oem rubber. they do make some squeak sounds tho going over bumps in the winter.
Old 06-30-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

80 bucks is a great price. You can also buy replacement oem bushings from honda if you don't want to go the poly urethane route. I installed the Energy Suspension bushings and they are excellent.
Old 06-30-2009
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
kcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to all

when my front bushings were gone my car would pull like crazy, but it didnt make any noises
Old 06-30-2009
Registered!!

If the bushings are worn and they're making noise, is it doing any damage to the car's frame or suspension itself, or just being noisy? My car has been making the rattling noise for about a month and a half now (it's been about 800 miles) but it drives fine so I haven't really been putting any urgency on the repairs, which I know usually isn't the best idea (lol).

When I blew the CV boot and my CV joint was going out I knew better than to do that because I've actually driven a car in the past when the joint finally gave out completely. I jumped on that repair right away.

My wheels are covered in the telltale dark "brake dust" so I'm replacing the rotors and pads this weekend myself to be on the safe side.
Old 06-30-2009
Registered!!

Gearbox--Thanks for the info. I can tolerate some squeakiness, so long as whatever I put on there is going to last and protect/cushion the best.

Aside from buying the actual bushings themselves, are there any other parts required to replace them?

Kcari-- Man, I hope pulling isn't a tell-tale sign for worn bushings, because I'm not keen on doing a suspension overhaul right now, financially. Nothing clicks or clangs; turning the steering wheel or going different speeds doesn't affect anything; it just rattles over sharp bumps.

Right after the CV joint was replaced, it was pulling randomly, but HARD to the left when rolling forward from a stop, but it stopped doing that after a few days. The mechanic disconnected the sway bar because he was having issues getting something connected, but he swears up and down that it was reconnected properly and that shouldn't have caused the pulling. The car has always had great alignment and never pulled up until then, so it really did concern me at the time.
Old 06-30-2009
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

the energy bushings should outlast the car. in the summer they are completely quiet. in winter it will squeak a bit but only when going over bumps and driveways. well worth the money for a lifetime part. all you need are the bushings, it comes as the set with 4 bushings, two on each side. you need special tools to change em, most shops will have no problems and its about a 4 hr job with machine press.
Old 07-01-2009
Registered!!

Thanks a bunch, all of ya's!
Old 07-01-2009
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
kcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to all

well take a flashlight and see if the front bushings are worn. you can probably tell yourself if there is any cracking. and when my bushings were blown my car kept pulling, especially at higher speeds or after stopping and going. i had to get an alignment after bushing installation as well

Last edited by kcari; 07-01-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-09-2009
Registered!!

premiercable is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm new to this forum but not to Hondas. I have been hearing a knocking noise coming from my front suspension when going over bumps, cobblestone streets, etc. I checked and replaced some select bushings, still there. Then replaced the rest of the bushing set and checked struts, etc... knocking still there. I could feel it through the steering wheel and (thought) I could hear it from both sides. Checked the steering rack, engine mounts (to be sure) and still couldn't locate the problem.
With a good 2 days off work and nowhere to go, I disassembled the entire front suspension and found the problem: The bolt holding the shock absorber (strut assembly) to the fork had stripped it's threads, and since that particular bolt does not use a nut on the other side, it was allowing the shock to move around up & down. So I replaced both sides with a longer bolt and nut (and lock-tite) and the sound has disappeared.

C
Old 07-10-2009
Registered!!

Hanzo has a spectacular aura aboutHanzo has a spectacular aura aboutHanzo has a spectacular aura about

My car pulls like crazy too Kyle. But yeah i already got my energy suspension bushings thanks to everyones suggestions back when i posted the problem about my LCA bushings. I already got a qoute for $70 to have a shop install them. I just need to get paid LOL
Old 06-20-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lordhelmet
80 bucks is a great price. You can also buy replacement oem bushings from honda if you don't want to go the poly urethane route. I installed the Energy Suspension bushings and they are excellent.
Huzzah for self-Necrothreading, but you were right. $80 was a great price. Too great.

Dude busted one of my sway bar end links, stripped the other and didn't say anything. Found out the hard way taking a curve on an on-ramp and ended up damn near losing control from the front end losing stability at 55mph. Thank God there wasn't anyone else nearby.

Argh.