Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Rolling of fenders

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GaryC17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Rolling of fenders

Anyone of you guys rolled your wheel fenders due to tire rubbing ? Any idea how I could go about doing it myself. I am planning on lowering my car a great due and correcting the camber with a camber kit. The problem is I have a set of rims with a offset of 37 and the fender to wheel clearance is very little when my car is fully loaded. If I were to correct the camber with the kit, I am sure the wheel will rub. Haven't seen any post on DIY fender rolling.
Old 11-24-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Mr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to all
yea i think some chick on here had her's done at discount tires but umm yea all ya need is a wooden baseball bat jack your car up and start rolling the fenders in!!! i have a link on that lemme find it !

This will give you a idea of what to do!!
Old 11-24-2003
Registered!!

Connie is a jewel in the roughConnie is a jewel in the roughConnie is a jewel in the rough
this should be in the wheels/tires/brakes forum....or maybe even the suspension forum
Old 11-24-2003
Premium Member

Mr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to all
Originally posted by Connie
this should be in the wheels/tires/brakes forum....or maybe even the suspension forum

oh yea and what he said!
Old 11-24-2003
No Title

maxsin is an unknown quantity at this point
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

thats what rolling fenders means.... i get it now.
Old 11-24-2003
AR
e-married to daydreamer

AR will become famous soon enough
^^^ I knew it had something to do with the fenders in the wheel well... didn't know it's literal term though.

Oh well. I wont be dropping the ride any time soon.
Old 11-24-2003
Registered!!

BlueRevs is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, that explain it well, good article Mr. Modify
Old 11-24-2003
Registered!!

born2xLr8 will become famous soon enough
This would be the girl that got her fenders rolled...
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...5&pagenumber=1
Old 11-25-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Then don't drop it as far. Superleggeras right (The only wheel I know of with a 37 offset)?
Just don't slam it and it'll work fine. I know mine isn't going down more than an inch, and because of the illusion from the wheels fitting flush to the fender, it will make the gap seem smaller than it is.
If you wanted a total slam job you should have bought rims with more offset. Even if you roll them, they're still going to stick too far out to really drop it, you'll just smack the fenders themselves instead of the lip.
Your last (and I wouldn't recommend it) option is to go to a machine shop, have them put the wheel on a lathe and turn 2 or 3 mm off the mounting face of the wheel to change the offset to 39 or 40.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 11-25-2003 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-25-2003
Registered!!

NorrinRadd is an unknown quantity at this point
Additionally, if you do need to have your fenders rolled why not get them done cleaner thru plasma cutting of the rear fenders instead. This can be done at most autobody (especially custom truck shops) shops for $50 - $75. Well worth it as plasma/laser cuts will not compromise chassis integrity or cause paint chipping that rolling the fenders can cause. But like Boilermaker1 said rolling or cutting the fenders still won't eliminate it entirely if you slam it a lot, just reduce it.
Old 11-26-2003
Registered!!

Boilermaker1, you're right. I'm using that set of rims but I intend to sell them if I can't get the slammed looked. Will the wheels rub if I get a set of rims at offset of 45 and slam it ?
Old 11-26-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
45 and slamming will work a lot better than trying to slam 37s (which just isn't going to happen without some serious negative camber. Superleggys are race-oriented wheels... The offset was set like that to widen the track of the car.... for that purpose, they work very,very well.
Old 11-26-2003
The Standard One

VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
mine tuck too.. i just plan on rolling it and making as negative as i can... just make sure it doesnt hit the fender. i know i wont get a perfect alignment but it'll be good enough. keep in mind the car comes stock with a negative 0.5 camber
Old 11-27-2003
Registered!!

Boilermaker1, I don't see how that extra 8mm will do much good. With the legerras slammed, it barely misses the fender and it rides at approximately negative 2.5 degrees. With just an estimated 10mm including the initial clearance, how much camber can we salvage ? End of the day the rears will still ride at negative camber right ? As for the front, anyone have problems with fender clearance with a slammed ride at 0 degree camber ?
Old 11-27-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

8 mm is 3/8 of an inch... Thats A LOT when you're looking at what will clear and what wont. I believe -.5 degrees in the rear is within spec, although I'd have to get my last alignment sheet out and check it... I don't think you want it to be dead on 0. The tires have something to do with it too... 205mm tires will buy you more room vs a 215 tire. Its a big game, and you need to get a lot of things to work together to get the whole package to work. At the worst, just raise the car up. You can only get it so low before it stops being beneficial to your handling, you **** up your steering rack and tie rods, and start riding the bumpstops anyway. Get some 205/40 rubberband tires and see if you can set the tires straighter. I don't know what to tell you, just how low are you trying to get it?

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 11-27-2003 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-28-2003
Registered!!

Boilermaker1, I'm considering the Neuspeed Race which is specified to give 2.5" drop for the front and 2" drop for the rear. I would like to have the camber set to zero degrees for the front and the rear at a slight maybe -0.5degree which I believe is factory specs. I'm riding a sedan by the way and have not gotten the springs. Still doing my research work at the moment before I decide, that's why I am asking these questions here. By the way, you mentioned about the rack getting damaged. Could you elaborate ? Thanks.
Old 11-28-2003
Registered!!

obguam is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a sedan w/ 17" Superleggera's, 204/40 Nittos on stock suspension. Hella wheel gap. Ride's a bit harsh but handling is excellent. 2.5" might be too much drop, performance wise, IMO.
Old 11-28-2003
Registered!!

obguam is an unknown quantity at this point
Oops, they're 205/40s.
Old 11-28-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

If the springs say 2", on a sedan thats gonna be more because the *** of the sedan weighs more. With OZs, that will rub even with 205/40 rubberbands. Theres just nothing you can do about it. I played around just trying to load my trunk down from stock height and it looks like about 1 3/8" is about as low as you can make the back and not have problems. I guess you're getting new wheels or revising your plans. My only suggestion is to buy full coilovers and just start incrementally lowering them. Get yourself a camber gauge and adjust the camber as you go until you figure out how low it can go and stay in spec. Drive over big bumps every time you do it to make sure the suspension travels its full range.
About the steering... You can only go so far down before you start stretching out the tie rods. I don't know what the limit is, I know its about 2" on the Sis. When you do that, you damage the steering rack as because the gears get pulled on when you try to turn since the tie rods aren't long enough.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 11-28-2003 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-29-2003
Registered!!

I have rode on coilovers with the rears slammed to negative fingers gap. No problems with my superlegs clearing the fenders but this is without any camber adjustments. If I were to straighten the wheel, it will hit. My plans are still to get the wheels straightened and to ride low !! But its just impossible with the superlegs, so I think getting a higher offset rim seems the only way. I doubt I can get it close to -0.5 degree camber for the rears even with 45mm offset rims. I guess that's the price to pay for low riding !
Old 02-24-2004
Registered!!

Crackhead79 is an unknown quantity at this point
aren't you all worried about the paint cracking if you bend it in?
Old 02-24-2004
Ricerus Maximus

clownprince will become famous soon enoughclownprince will become famous soon enough
that's one reason for getting a body shop to do it. Its only about $40 or so and they can actually cut it flush so you can have that extra 1/2" to adjust the camber
Old 02-24-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by clownprince
that's one reason for getting a body shop to do it. Its only about $40 or so and they can actually cut it flush so you can have that extra 1/2" to adjust the camber
Have you done that personally?
Old 02-24-2004
Registered!!

NorrinRadd is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Crackhead79
Have you done that personally?
This a simple thing to do and helps immensely for camber adjustments. I did the samething and had a custom truck shop plasma cut my rear wheel fenders for $50. Very clean and quick, w/ no paint cracking or body denting cause by rolling fenders. Just take it any shop that does custom body work (usually truck shops) and they can do it for you no problem.
Old 03-13-2004
Registered!!

I went to a good shop and they wanted $300. I wasn't happy, but they couldn't plasma cut beuase it is spot-welded on the lip. It hold to body panels together. Not only that he said he would have to tape it and paint the cracking-that sucks. I just took my camber in -.5 and i'm all good.
Old 03-13-2004
The Standard One

VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
-.5 degree is what you want anyways