Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Sway bar ?? for 2003 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bboyclumsy is an unknown quantity at this point
Sway bar ?? for 2003 coupe

The 2003 ex sway bars are really small i was suprised, 15.9 mm front/ 12mm rear? When i go around turns fast i cant keep traction in rear? What can i do to improve the rear problem and overall optimize my turning ability?
Old 05-26-2003
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
Re: Sway bar ?? for 2003 coupe

Originally posted by bboyclumsy
The 2003 ex sway bars are really small i was suprised, 15.9 mm front/ 12mm rear? When i go around turns fast i cant keep traction in rear? What can i do to improve the rear problem and overall optimize my turning ability?
you can get RSX stock sway bar which is 19mm. that will help you out
Old 05-26-2003
Registered!!

branden is an unknown quantity at this point
no traction in the rear?? whoa! i'd like that on my car...your car drifts on corners? cool....
Old 05-26-2003
Registered!!

Civic2k1racer is an unknown quantity at this point
or if u want to spend more on a bar, go with the progress 22mm rear anti sway bar or the rsx type r 22mm one, they sell that at hondawerx.com, or u can get the neuspeed one with the integrated low tie bar, the neuspeed one is really expensive though

if u go over over 19mm, u will most likely need new endlinks, for they can break under the pressure, the rsx 19mm should be fine without it though
Old 05-26-2003
Escaped Convict

CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
u might want to up the front too..

tahts weird how honda did that..

15 on the front and 12 on the rear now..

instead of 01: 25.4 on the front and 12 on the rear

02: 25.4 on the front and 13 on the rear
Old 05-27-2003
All Eyes On Z

SlammedBlueEM2 is on a distinguished road
I assume because your car loses traction in the rear must mean you're on stock tires. To solve that problem get new tires, NOT a sway bar. A thicker rear sway bar lessens spring compression. It is not going to improve traction in no way what-so-ever. You have a better chance of losing control of your car driving agressive without stiffer springs with the car at stock height on non-performance tires with a thicker sway bar behind you. You'll just allow the rear to slide even more because the performance of a thicker rear sway bar depends even more on tires than before.

Solution: TYRES! Get new tires. If you don't know where to start, search the wheel/tires forum for tires.
Old 05-27-2003
All Eyes On Z

Originally posted by Civic2k1racer
if u go over over 19mm, u will most likely need new endlinks, for they can break under the pressure
Who told you this? This is not true what so ever. There are more durable aftermarket endlinks out there for Civics that don't come with endlinks but the stock ones are the same on any other car sharing the Civic chassis. That goes for the RSX and the new Integra Type R.
Old 05-27-2003
Registered!!

Civic2k1racer is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by SlammedBlueEM2
Who told you this? This is not true what so ever. There are more durable aftermarket endlinks out there for Civics that don't come with endlinks but the stock ones are the same on any other car sharing the Civic chassis. That goes for the RSX and the new Integra Type R.
man, its all over the site, thats why people upgrade to the hotchkis endlinks, cause an rsx driver broke his stock ones while auto x ing with a rear anti sway bar larger than 19mm.
Old 05-27-2003
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
The smaller sway bar on the front will make the car Oversteer more, so Honda probably did it to try and make the cars handling a bit more nutural (rather then the Understeering Pig I have), you need to find out if there is any difference between the spring rates of that car to the earlier models. that will tell you more about the Handling of that model Vs the earlier ones.
Old 05-27-2003
Registered!!

sovereign82 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you go with a progress bar and plan on driving your car hard, you will need new endlinks as they will tear. This goes for RSX owners as well as Civic owners.
Old 05-27-2003
All Eyes On Z

Originally posted by Civic2k1racer
man, its all over the site, thats why people upgrade to the hotchkis endlinks, cause an rsx driver broke his stock ones while auto x ing with a rear anti sway bar larger than 19mm.
Ah, he was auto-Xing. Ok. There have been people who auto-x'd frequently with the 22mm bar on their car and have had no problem. I could think of one member but he sold his car. He had a red coupe with white wheels.

On the other hand, I'll look into this.
Old 05-27-2003
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
There was one other dude on this site who broke his rear end-link. Someone said the rear ones are made out of a different material than the front? Someone mentioned plastic? That's BS though IMO. It's probably the same damned end link. It's just prone to breaking for some reason or another.

A sway bar helps out traction in the corners and the thicker it is the more it'll keep the car level. The more level a car is the more traction it has from going sideways in a corner. I don't get why you're saying that it doesn't SlammedBlueEM2? You sometimes say things as if you know 100% that they're right, but I notice many errors in your posts. Please only post if you know that what you're saying is the truth.

Anyway, I have a stock 2001 Civic LX front sway bar for sale. PM me if you're interested. It's 25.4mm, so it'll improve your handling quite a bit.
Old 05-27-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Grey
There was one other dude on this site who broke his rear end-link. Someone said the rear ones are made out of a different material than the front? Someone mentioned plastic? That's BS though IMO. It's probably the same damned end link. It's just prone to breaking for some reason or another.

A sway bar helps out traction in the corners and the thicker it is the more it'll keep the car level. The more level a car is the more traction it has from going sideways in a corner. I don't get why you're saying that it doesn't SlammedBlueEM2? You sometimes say things as if you know 100% that they're right, but I notice many errors in your posts. Please only post if you know that what you're saying is the truth.

Anyway, I have a stock 2001 Civic LX front sway bar for sale. PM me if you're interested. It's 25.4mm, so it'll improve your handling quite a bit.

The Anti roll bar does alot more then just lower the amount of body roll. More importantly it adjust how much weight is applied to the front and back wheels when you turn. Our cars need as much weight applied to the back as we can git, and the side (Front or back) that has the higest relitive spring rate (To the amount of static weight on that end of the car) will have more weight applied to it. It is possable that Honda lowered the size of the Front roll bar in order to force more weight to the rear, and thus reducing understeer. So by adding the larger one to the front, you may in fact be increacing the cars likelyhood of understeering. to find out what honda was tring to do we need to know what the spring rate of the front and rear springs are on the old and new setups. that way we can determin if the smaller bar on the front Helped or hindered handling.

From his post it seems that he is oversteering a bit, but that may just be because of the speed in which he is taking the corner. A cars tendincy to oversteer increaces with speed. He could also just be overdriving the tires, in which case i would advise him to slow down a little, untill he can get some higher performance tires.

Last edited by Zzyzx; 05-27-2003 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-27-2003
All Eyes On Z

His car is simply fishtailing. It happens on stock tires easily if you were to go fast enough in a turn. Take a bone stock Civic to the moutains and try to take turns at 80+MPH. The car will fishtail.
Old 05-27-2003
Registered!!

bboyclumsy is an unknown quantity at this point
I need to add that its only one tire i believe the inside tire on the turn, it does like a studder and not getting traction.
Old 05-27-2003
All Eyes On Z

Originally posted by Grey
Traction begins with the tires. The car WOULD turn better with a bigger bar in the rear if you're not driving aggressive but I would not depend on a sway bar to improve traction as dramatically as a change of tires when driving aggressive. Why? Because the stock tires aren't made for aggressive driving and a thicker sway bar would never fix that in that type of driving situation.

And I don't know what you mean by many errors in my posts, but if you find me posting things you see as untrue that I think are not, tell me. Because I don't post to mislead people with my knowledge. I can admit to anyone that I don't know everything but I'm not trying to appear as if I do. If someone can prove me wrong, then that's fine with me.
Old 05-27-2003
Autocross Junky

Originally posted by bboyclumsy
I need to add that its only one tire i believe the inside tire on the turn, it does like a studder and not getting traction.
On stock suspension thats fairly normal. If you were to get sticky tires something like this may happen

thats a Bone stock Accord.

Whats happing is you are reaching the limits of traction that your tires have, not really a good thing on the street. Just back off a bit, you'll be fine. in autcross, getting the rear end to rotate a bit is a good thing especially in a front wheel drive car.