Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Spring Rates

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2003
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Spring Rates

Is there a way to tell what the spring rates are on lowering springs/coilovers. Most manufacturers don't mention it on their site. I know JIC can have custom spring rates or even ones that you can change the spring rate yourself. Thanks.
Old 04-25-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
you can have them tested. Problem is, I dont know where. Many co's dont list spring rates because the average person who Purchases Sport/Lowering springs wouldn't know what do do with the Information. The more Reputible Racing suspension companys like H&R, Tein, Eibac, and Neuspeed to name a couple, would be more then happy to tell you the their spring rates, all you have to do is call them and ask.
Old 04-25-2003
Registered!!

Wanger is an unknown quantity at this point
Tein S Tech spring rate:

front/back:
2.8/5.2
Old 04-25-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Wanger
Tein S Tech spring rate:

front/back:
2.8/5.2

We under stand LBS/In her in America. Metric tends to confuse us.

157lbs/in front and 291lbs/in on the back. not very stiff at all.

The SS springs are

336lbs/in front and 448 lbs/in back. More then twice as stiff on the front.
Old 04-25-2003
The Standard One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
and its also hard to say with progressive springs since it varies... it gets stiffer n stiffer as it gets compressed more..
Old 04-01-2004
Registered!!

RedEU is an unknown quantity at this point
so, the tein rate is linear or progressive?? & is the ss really doubling the stiffness??
Old 04-01-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Coilovers are linear racing springs, lowering springs are typically progressive.
Old 04-01-2004
Autocross Junky

when Racing is involved Linear springs are better to have then Progressive ones. on the street, Progressive will give you a better ride when your just cruzin but still retain some level of performance when pushed.
Old 04-01-2004

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
That is why companies like eibach, progress, neuspeed, etc say it is x-x% stiffer than stock. They vary when they are compressed/extended.
Old 04-01-2004
Registered!!

Logan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to all
Originally posted by Zzyzx
We under stand LBS/In her in America. Metric tends to confuse us.

157lbs/in front and 291lbs/in on the back. not very stiff at all.

The SS springs are

336lbs/in front and 448 lbs/in back. More then twice as stiff on the front.
Conversion Chart. Should be useful for some people.

0 Kg/mm 0 Lb/In
1 Kg/mm 56 Lb/In
2 Kg/mm 111.9 Lb/In
3 Kg/mm 167.9 Lb/In
4 Kg/mm 223.8 Lb/In
5 Kg/mm 279.8 Lb/In
6 Kg/mm 335.7 Lb/In
7 Kg/mm 391.7 Lb/In
8 Kg/mm 447.6 Lb/In
9 Kg/mm 503.6 Lb/In
10 Kg/mm 559.5 Lb/In
11 Kg/mm 615.4 Lb/In
12 Kg/mm 671.4 Lb/In
13 Kg/mm 727.4 Lb/In
14 Kg/mm 783.4 Lb/In
15 Kg/mm 839.2 Lb/In
16 Kg/mm 895.2 Lb/In
17 Kg/mm 951.2 Lb/In
18 Kg/mm 1007.1 Lb/In
19 Kg/mm 1063.2 Lb/In
20 Kg/mm 1119 Lb/In
Old 04-01-2004

Boilermaker1 gave this awhile ago.

1 lb/in=.017854 kg/mm
Old 04-01-2004
Autocross Junky

One of my friends estimated the rate of his springs by measuing the Diamiter of the coil, Simmilar to how you can calculate the rate of an anti-roll bar by knowing its thickness.

I'll ask him about it.
Old 04-01-2004
Autocross Junky

Found a Coil spring rate Calculator...

Another (More Informative)
Old 04-02-2004
Registered!!

Unleaded is an unknown quantity at this point
neuspeed race springs are 285/400. since they are performance minded springs, are they still progressive like the sports springs?
Old 04-02-2004
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
You can tell its a progressive spring if it has dead coils on it. Whereas a linear spring coils are evenly spaced for the most part.
Old 04-02-2004

most true coilovers are linear springs, most aftermarket springs are progressive. Sleeves are just aftermarket springs on an adjuster so they are usually progressive too. But flotsamm is right.