Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Dropping issues (a bit different)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Dropping issues (a bit different)

Ever since I put my 17's on, all sorts of people are telling me I need to drop it (including people who don't know much about cars), the consensus is that it looks "goofy"... which I admit, it does. The thinner tire looks odd despite a same-as-stock gap. So drop it right? It's not that easy....
I quite possibly could have the lowest offset wheels of anyone on this site, at 37mm, my wheels come right to the edge of the fenders, its actually perfect from a visual standpoint, however, this also means an excessive drop will not just rub the rear, rather it will rub on all 4 corners. Obviously not good.
Here's what it looks like....

So the "slammed" appearance is pretty much out of the question... which is ok, I don't know I want that anyways... I need some ground clearance. The answer to the question I really need is, how much vertical travel does the suspension need? I realize that it will vary with the stiffness of the springs, but there must be some close guess. Since I obvously can't look at the wheel gaps while driving, might anyone know what kind of clearance is absolutely necessary? Do I need an inch? or several? I think the only springs I'm going to be able to use are Prokits and still drop it safely, an inch is better that nothing I guess, but I would much rather go closer to 1.5" if I can. Any sort of advice or recommendations would be helpful.
The only thing that's out is thinner tires... I need some pothole protection, I also don't feel like rolling all 4 fenders or paying for a widebody.
Old 04-02-2003
The Standard One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
ewww why'd you get 37 anyways? do you have a better picture of how much the wheels stick out? well negative camber always helps tuck your wheels.. what size tires you have? looks like 215-45-17..
also you want to keep in mind passengers..

low down on my setup. 215-40-18(slightly bigger then 215-45-17). 42 offset neuspeed sports no camber... 0-1/2 finger gap in rear(cause of my system). when i have 5 people in the car the whole sidewall on the rear tire tucks(i'll check again next time to make sure this is correct). according to the tire calc i have a sidewall of 3.4"(doesnt seem like that much so i'll measure it when i get home). but ya if everything were true i would say you need atleast a good 4-5" of suspension travel(for some reason doesnt sound right). if that is true then it is absolutely necessary for your tires to tuck(but again remember negative camber helps tuck in the tires). and you get negative camber anytime the car is lowered(whether it be my lowering springs or fat chicks sitting in the back seat).

haha sorry such a long complicated explanation... but i think you'll be fine.. 37 is pretty small but not that small.. only 5mm compared to my wheels. i'm sure rolling the fender lip is bigger then 5mm so rolling them should help clearance... when i checked my tires cleared the fender lip by like 5mm as well. so ya you should be able to clear it with a 1.75" drop as well.. but ya this is without a camber kit..

if i were in your shoes i would just try to find someone around you with the drop your looking for. switch wheels with him and see if it rubs..
Old 04-02-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
I got 37 because that's all that was offered in a high offset with 4x100. It's probably intended to fit some european car, but it's also listed for most Japanese 4x100 applications.
'Stick out' isn't the right term... they actually fill up the fenders nicely, they just hang under the lip... And I just realized there is no lip under the front, so that should clear without problem (I think)
Anyways... I tried taking some better pics.. I don't know if they'll help, but there isn't really a good way to get this...
Front:

Back:

I tried measuring it... it looks like I need about 1/2" or so to clear the fenders. I might have to see if I can find someone around here with a dropped car... I don't know of too many that are dropped correctly
Old 04-02-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
666 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a side pic of my coupe with H&R Sports and Koni shocks maybe it will help. My wheels are 18X7 but they are +42 offset, the tires are 215/35-18. I think if you stay around 1.25"-1.5" for a drop you will be safe. I have never rubbed while going around any corners or bumps with my set up and the roads are not very smooth where I live and there is also a lot of steep driveways too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hpim0021.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	459  
Old 04-02-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

I suppose it's worth mentioning... 7.5" wide wheels with a 42 offset actually stick out further than these... just to put the 37 offset into perspective... it isn't much.
I'm wondering if coilovers is the way to go... just so I can mess with it to be sure. It's a little more money, but when you think about it... the Tiens are essentially "bolt-on" when compared to trying to get Konis and springs in there.