Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

I need SERIOUS help

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MaddonE is an unknown quantity at this point
I need SERIOUS help

so i ATTEMPTED to install my springs this weekend, but when removing the front struts, on the DIY i printed it said to hammer out the tie rod from the strut so i did just that. now that i am trying to put the struts back in i cant get the nut to go back on the tie rod. it looks like the last 2 threads of the tie rod are f**ked up, so i am going to try to grind it tonight, but if that doesnt work i need to know how to remove the tie rod. it looks like i can take the last section off because i see threads there so i know i can probably screw it off of the arm, but the damn thing won't budge.

ill try any suggestions

thank you all for the help

Last edited by MaddonE; 04-01-2003 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-01-2003
Registered!!

no help from anyone???
Old 04-01-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
Bad Bad Bad you should never hammer on the tie rod end. You have a couple of options. First Get ahold of tap and die set and clean up your threads with the proper sized die. or 2nd go to the dealer and fork over some cash for a new tie rod end. You will have to get your car aligned afterwards.
Old 04-01-2003
Registered!!

i bought a die set and it didnt do ****, but does anybody have any suggestions on how i can take the damn tie rod end off, because that bastard will not budge, ive soaked it in wd-40, ive torched it, no luck
Old 04-01-2003
Registered!!

666 is an unknown quantity at this point
Really the die will not clean the threads?
Old 04-01-2003
Registered!!

yea dead serious i think i was using 10mm x 1.25 and that was too tight, then i went up to 10mm x 1.50 and that was too big so it didnt really cut anything. i tried using the 10 x 1.25 and just forcing it to cut, but it wouldnt budge, the first like 2 threads are messed up, from those 2 up they're fine
Old 04-01-2003
Registered!!

666 is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know if this would work but what if you ground the first two rings of threads off around the tie rod so there only would be smooth unthreaded metal where they were? To basicly create a new starting point for the nut. I know it would be tricky and time consuming to get it perfect, but it might work. You could risk f*cking the tie rod up doing this so I would only try it as a last resort. Maybe if you used a file to carefully do it??
Old 04-02-2003
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
I did the same shiznit on the passenger side. Untill you get it replaced this is how you can put it back together or take it off again..

I took the car jack from the trunk and flipped it upside down.
Then place and extend the jack on the top of where the nut goes until there is enough pressure on top of the tie rod. This pressure will allow you to put the nut on. It worked for me.
Best of luck!
Old 04-02-2003
Tomotor

xHoteKx has a spectacular aura aboutxHoteKx has a spectacular aura about
exact samething happened to me during the install of my teins. the nut went on, but only til the bottom of the nut was flush with the bottom of the threads. so i just bought a new tie rod end from the dealer and replaced it myself.
Old 04-03-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by xHoteKx
exact samething happened to me during the install of my teins. the nut went on, but only til the bottom of the nut was flush with the bottom of the threads. so i just bought a new tie rod end from the dealer and replaced it myself.
i wouldnt mind replacing the tie rod end, but the friggin thing wont come off, i've torched it soaked it in wd-40 and it will not budge