Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

to trim or not to trim bumpstops.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nuts is an unknown quantity at this point
to trim or not to trim bumpstops.

i have the neuspeed sport springs and it came with a paper that said trim rear bumpstops 1.25". I know its not a very good thing to mess with all that but anyone with these springs trimmed them or not? i don't think i'm gonna trim them.
Old 02-17-2003
Registered!!

BigHippo22 is an unknown quantity at this point
i have neuspeed race springs, i trimmed my bumpstops, but blew one stock rear strut about 1 month after install, then i put koni's on and no problems since.
Old 02-18-2003
98% of people will die in their lifetime
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

EnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questioned
my goldline springs said to trim the bump stop too, like an inch or so. i read somewhere in the suspension forum that the ride is better, smoother, less bouncy when you trim the bump stop, something about since your using shorter springs you wont bonce off them. i think you should trim them the recommened length, they recommend it for a reason!
Old 02-18-2003
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way
HondaGuru is an unknown quantity at this point
Cut them in half.

They need to be shortened as to allow for more suspension travel, which is necessary due to the decreases usable area created by lowering the stock gap.

duh.
Old 02-18-2003
Registered!!

Silver02EX is an unknown quantity at this point
My friend did it in his 99 SI with H&R race and the car ride like crap [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-puke.gif[/IMG] to much bounce.. I say just get coil overs
Old 02-18-2003
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way
HondaGuru is an unknown quantity at this point
It has NOTHING to do with bump stops. Unless you are bottoming out the entire compression area of your suspension they arent even being used.
His ride is harsh because

A) He picked "race" springs
and
B) This was done on stock shocks.

Then again you could just be a p***y and are not used to a stiff suspension. Thats for you to determine.
Old 02-18-2003
The Standard One

VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG] to joe

cutting the bumpstops only increases suspension travel. it doesnt give you a better, smoother ride, it just simply prevents you from bottoming out on them. say with stock springs, you have a 3" suspension travel, you lower your car 2.5" and now you only have .5" suspension travel which isnt much. you hit a dip and what happens, your shocks get compressed all the way down to the bumpstop and you bottom out on them, you cut them 1"(or whatever it tells you to cut them) so that you have 1" more shock travel. so instead of only have .5" you now have 1.5".