Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Racelands? opinions please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CGaud is an unknown quantity at this point
Racelands? opinions please!

Anyone rolling on Racelands? I'll be getting some in the future and do not know too much about them personally and would love to hear some of your opinions on them.

I currently have Buddy Club N+ full coilovers with a spring rate of 10k up front and 14k in the rear. I use my car daily and would love to have a more comfortable ride without sacrificing all of the performance... A middle road I suppose.

I know they're cheap in price and in most cases you get what you pay for but I'm hoping that in this instance it's not.

I know most will recommend Progress or Koni's w/ a set of drop springs but I'm only concerned about this particular brand. Pics would be helpful if you've got them.
Old 01-11-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Racelands? opinions please!

Mac have them.

however, keep in mind that the QC is kinda risky. you could get a good set and they will last or you could get a bad one and they will not last. That's what i see on the miata crowds. some go badly (matter of having luck, is my guess)
Old 01-11-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

That's what I have heard also. They are so cheap due to low quality control, and cheaper metal. I'm not sure if I would feel comfortable doing a hard canyon run with them.

Do you live somewhere were there is salt on the roads or a lot of rain?
Old 01-11-2014
Registered!!

Yeah, they salt here in the winter and it shows on my Buddy Clubs. I really want to daily the Racelands and rebuild/refinish my Buddy Clubs and use them only during the summer months or this coming year when I take it to the track for the very first time.

I live near mountains and like to blow off steam by cruising through the canyons. I wouldn't say I'm too aggressive with the car but there are a few curves here where I just open it up.

I read up on some reviews on 7thgen and it basically was hit or miss on a good set like you both have said. Some users had problems while others hand no issues at all.

I've decided I'm not really into the stanced look and my build will continue to focus on function first and then style. I've been in touch with someone from their R&D department and they seemed to really determined to put out a product that rides comfortably while still giving you a lowered look. I was focus on spring rates and performance and he said he would have to email me the info as he did not want to give me the incorrect specs for them.
Old 01-11-2014
Registered!!

Also... trying to figure out conversion rate for my current set up to compare to others.

My Buddy Clubs are F:10k R: 14k (kg/mm) and I thought I saw somewhere that 1 kg/mm = 55 lbs/in.

So if that conversion rate is correct... Buddy Clubs are
F: 550 R:770 (lbs/in)?
Old 01-11-2014
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Yea that's stiff!! Your conversion looks correct.

My KW's are
60 N/mm front = 342 lb
90 N/mm rear = 514 lb

I wouldn't want them any stiffer then that for daily driving. Are you talking to Buddy Club? They should have softer springs available.
Old 01-12-2014
Registered!!

I haven't talked to buddy club about it but perhaps I can also see what they can do for me so that I can have a softer ride. I can feel every imperfection in the road with them on and in a way I like it because you get so in tuned with what your car is doing and how it reacts to what your doing. Probably not the best set up for a DD.

I only offered up Raceland as an option because they are giving me an opportunity to test out a new line of coils they've been developing for the EM2 chasis.
Old 01-12-2014
Registered!!

rustycivic is on a distinguished road

You could also talk to Eibach and get a pair of their ERS springs to throw on the back coils (they work on most coilovers). If you ran the standard 10k front, with say 7-8k rears, it would be pretty comfortable.
Old 01-12-2014
Prelude Owner

Originally Posted by CGaud
I only offered up Raceland as an option because they are giving me an opportunity to test out a new line of coils they've been developing for the EM2 chasis.
That's cool that they are doing that for you. With routine inspection and not driving them in salty conditions so that the metal doesn't corrode you might be ok. I know company's mark up prices and most of the time you are paying more for a name but when your spending less then $100 a corner for a coilover I just don't know where they are making a profit.
Old 01-12-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rustycivic
If you ran the standard 10k front, with say 7-8k rears, it would be pretty comfortable.
actually, i would not recommend that - see his spring rates (higher for rears) - he would need to retune all again with sway bars if he did that setup you suggested. no hard feelings, it comes with the generation differences - I think you have the 5-6th?

My Buddy Clubs are F:10k R: 14k (kg/mm) and I thought I saw somewhere that 1 kg/mm = 55 lbs/in.
So if that conversion rate is correct... Buddy Clubs are
F: 550 R:770 (lbs/in)?
Originally Posted by GolNat
but when your spending less then $100 a corner for a coilover I just don't know where they are making a profit.
volume So many that buys them just fro the sake of lowering
Old 01-12-2014
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

I have them and would buy another set. It seems light cars like miatas and civics do well on them. this Summer will mark the 1 year point of using Racelands with 4 days of autocross (40 corner rich runs at up to 80km and 20 runs at up to 140km), and many days of hour long Touge with my team.

pros:

-price
-good lowering range
-durable rings (I've adjusted my height multiple times under load and the rings and threads look and feel good.

-they look and feel sturdy and the welds looked right.

cons:

-wait time, since they build them per order it took mine like 6 months to ship in.
-they do not come with plug and play top mounts, so you have to use your oem topmounts and barrings.
-fear that they may blow out while testing
-street rep

I push them hard, first in autocross for a few months then Touge. test your's out in a safe place unless you're just going low for looks and always cruise with a friend if you're pushing her in a mountain pass.

Last edited by mac25; 01-12-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-13-2014
Registered!!

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

I don't plan on going any lower than where I have my Buddy Clubs and judging by GolNat's pictures I'm around ~2.5" drop.

Mac- How low are you dropped on your Racelands? I'm relieved to hear that you've used the coils somewhat aggressively. Do you also use your Civic as a DD? How do you feel about the spring rates?
Old 01-13-2014

mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

-dropped 2 to 3 inches since I put them in last year.

-and yes Daily Driver.

-spring rate is nice for racing it's tight, there is a lot less body roll in corners as opposed to stock. But if you hit a pot hole hold on to your hat, lol.

I'm not an expert on spring rates because these are my first set. for me I love them, way smoother around corners. but that's like only bang'in white chicks, you'll never know if asians are better, even though you enjoy every minute with the white chicks =D.
Old 01-13-2014
Prelude Owner

Lol, good analogy.

Rates for the Racelands are F:310 R:417 which is going to ride nice since that is a pretty low, especially when compared to the buddy Clubs. It's hard to judge coilovers because a lot of it is opinion. You should get them so you can compare them to your Buddy Clubs. If I had an extra $400 I would buy a set just so I can compare them to mine. Like mac I have never tried any other coilovers. I had Sportline springs which actually rode worse then my coilovers even though I wasn't as low (most likely due to me using stock struts up front and Tokico in the rear).

The buddy clubs should handle better because of the stiffer rates.
Old 01-13-2014
Registered!!

Good to know!

I had to go and buy a set of used coils so that they c Iuld mock up the Racelands because I sold my stock struts a few months back and they reuse the top hats as somebody stated above.

They claimed that they reuse the stock top has because of comfort but I wonder if it also saves them on manufacturing costs. The first fitting was done last week and it turns out they underestimated the rear shock length. They said they could have made it work by compressing the spring more but mentioned if they did that it wouldn't give them the ride quality they are looking for.
Old 01-13-2014
Registered!!

rustycivic is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
actually, i would not recommend that - see his spring rates (higher for rears) - he would need to retune all again with sway bars if he did that setup you suggested. no hard feelings, it comes with the generation differences - I think you have the 5-6th?
Ah yes, totally forgot.......6th Gen was the last with double wishbone suspension.
Old 01-13-2014
Prelude Owner

^ Love that double wishbone front and back. They don't make them like they used to

They claimed that they reuse the stock top has because of comfort but I wonder if it also saves them on manufacturing costs.
Progress and KW (possibly Tein) use the stock top hats also. I'm surprised Raceland isn't on the (Megan, D2, F&F...) got to have 32 way adjustability, and pillow mounts yo, thing. Since the majority of people don't need any of that, well maybe if you want to be "stanced" or race.
Old 01-13-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Just be aware that the racelands are also quite underdamped, being the reason for the pot hole comment from Mac
Old 01-13-2014

^truth!
Old 01-13-2014
Registered!!

got2run5 will become famous soon enoughgot2run5 will become famous soon enough

I was thinking about racelands for mine for a bit but could never get over the quality issues. A guy I went to school with had them on his VW and couple years down the road they flat out broke and totaled his car. Definitely made me happy I stayed away from them. They're just not worth the safety risk in my eyes for a few hundred bucks.
Old 01-14-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

^ that is one risk.
like mentioned, all depends on luck of the draw. Not too many ends with that issue, but we see some of them. considering the amount they sell, could be a very low percentage, but we still see some. However, internet could make the sampling quite high, so not sure how much it is.

Originally Posted by GolNat
^ Love that double wishbone front and back. They don't make them like they used to
actually, the rears are not doublewishbone :P

Last edited by sdaidoji; 01-14-2014 at 03:24 AM.
Old 01-14-2014
Registered!!

I guess there is only one way to find out how they will compare to my current set up and it's to test them out on my car. I'd prefer a coilover with adjustable dampening and fancier top hats but I suppose if I find the setup lacking I could just sell them and use the $ to obtain a set more suited to my needs.

I will be keeping my Buddy Clubs, as I mentioned earlier, with the hope of cleaning them up and rebuilding them if necessary. I'm mainly looking for a coilover that is more pratical and durable for daily driving yet be able to handle some abuse from time to time.

Before I got the Buddy Clubs I was looking into getting a set of Progress coilovers because it seems most of the users on this forum vouch for them perhaps if the Racelands don't work out I'll have a set of those in my future. Only time will tell.
Old 01-14-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

Raceland couldn't pay me to use there product.
Old 01-15-2014
Registered!!

What are you running? Do you have any specific examples of what makes you feel so strongly about them?
Old 01-16-2014
skate or die

Tragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to all

They are not the top of the line.
So I got curious and ordered a set. I only drive 20-30 miles a day on my 14 year old civic, so we will see how they hold up. I will post review.
Old 01-16-2014
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tragedy
They are not the top of the line.
So I got curious and ordered a set. I only drive 20-30 miles a day on my 14 year old civic, so we will see how they hold up. I will post review.
Why.....
Old 01-16-2014
Prelude Owner

Lowlife runs progress coilovers. Probably from pics like this:

http://www.bestcoiloverguide.com/coi...ands/raceland/
Old 01-16-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

^ there's that possibility, so I pray you guys will be the lucky ones. Well, y'all know about that, so...
Follow a quote from teh miata forums - keep in mind that this is for the miata, very specific suspension, so DON't copy the setup - spring rates balance will be different as well as the whole configuration of the car (front engine, RWD, etc, etc)

Originally Posted by mr72
If you do a search there is tons of discussion about them here. Other forums have even more discussions with even more useful information in some cases. If I can summarize, it seems the internet experts suggest Raceland shocks are underdamped especially rebound in the rear and the spring rates are far from ideal for best handling. If you don't remove the rear sway bar and make significant alignment adjustments then you may wind up with a lot of oversteer.

If you really want a car to go fast on the track, then Raceland/Rokkor is going to be a waste of time and money. If you are purely driving on the street and you just want an improvement in feel or ride height adjustability and can live with the tradeoffs, then the Raceland/Rokkor may be worthwhile.

I can give a personal testimony: I chose Rokkor since they have slightly better spring rates but the same Raceland shocks and I've been driving them on the road on my car for probably over a year now, every day. My car has an open diff and I do think this makes a real difference in suspension setups. Just driving on the street, not any kind of racing or really hard driving, but commuting mostly and fast-enough-to-be-fun corners on the road, I have no complaints. The ride is far more firm than stock and there is pretty much zero body roll under normal circumstances. With no rear bar and stock front bar, same tire pressure all around, the handling is very neutral and it will power oversteer and also gently oversteer on throttle-lift and it's very easy to control and smooth to transition from oversteer to understeer. The high spring rates give the car an extremely quick transitional feel with almost no perceptible squat, dive or body roll, very different and kind of old-school compared with the more popular (and probably more effective, if you're going fast) setup with an LSD, softer springs and a really big front sway bar. On the road it feels like a go-cart, and frankly I love it.

Seriously, for a street-driven car that never ever sees a race track, and you are not counting tenths of a second, but you just want a very firm and "sporty" feel for a daily driver, there is nothing at all wrong with the Rokkor IMHO. However, I wouldn't recommend the Raceland unless you are going to change the front springs (stiffer) or use an aftermarket big sway bar. Actually the Raceland shocks with softer rear springs may be a very good compromise on otherwise stock suspension. The normal Raceland will switch your Miata from slightly understeering stock to bigtime oversteering, and if you are not careful this can put the car into a guard rail in a heartbeat. You must do something to remedy that.

IMHO besides longevity, the Rokkor setup is at least as good as the factory stock suspension in terms of on-road/DD performance, and the improvement in feel (not track times!) is more than worth it.

If I wear these out, I don't think I'll replace them with another set of Rokkor/Raceland. When I was spending big money on engine, clutch, paint, interior, etc. all at one time, there was no question... my budget didn't allow for $1K+ on suspension. I needed something to last 12-18 months. But in a year I will probably dump the Rokkor and switch to something else, something still unpopular on miata.net for sure, but not quite so hated as Raceland. I'll probably keep the Raceland rear springs, go with stiffer front springs, and shocks with a whole lot more damping.

Others here are likely to tell you about better shocks at 2x the cost or more, and they are right. They also will tell you that you need a LSD and big front sway bar for the car to go fast, and probably about a 2:3 front-to-rear spring rate ratio. And again, they are absolutely right. But in the end you will spend 3x as much to gain lots of on-track performance that you may not notice or appreciate on the street if you are just driving to work every day like I am. I know my car is not fast, but I like it anyway.
Old 01-16-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

yes when these came out a couple years back there were uge debates on quality the people that praised them in the beginning have had a change of heart even one i know that almost totaled his car due to metal failure. the bottom line is there a cheap chinese made product with that comes poor metal quality and construction. i would never endanger my life and the lives of the people around me because i wanted to save a few bucks to look cool.
Old 01-19-2014
Registered!!

got2run5 will become famous soon enoughgot2run5 will become famous soon enough

For those reasons I'd much rather buy a used set of quality coilovers or settle on a spring/shock combo even though it isn't adjustable if a quality set of coilovers isn't in the budget.

Quick Reply: Racelands? opinions please!