Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

stripped coilover thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mpapers22 is an unknown quantity at this point
stripped coilover thread

Well I seem to have no luck buying used coilovers. Just picked up these d2s and when I checked them out I overlooked the thread caps he had put on thinking he was just selling them the way he got them Turns out one of the studs that goes into the strut tower is completely stripped to the point where a die would be useless. Anyone ever deal with this before? Can you buy the studs from d2 or should I just get a grade 8 bolt roughly the same size with a washer. The stud looks like it should just hammer out but im not 100% sure so if someone has ever dealt with something like this before any help is greatly appreciated.

Name:  20130520_204752_zpsa23a41d6.jpg
Views: 1371
Size:  28.3 KB
Old 05-21-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: stripped coilover thread

I don't know if anyone will have the answer to your question. You might have to call D2 to see if they have a replacement stud or upper mount. If not, you might be able to put an OEM or aftermarket upper mount on the coilover. If your going to do one, I suggest you do both the fronts. You will need to compress the spring and remove the nut in the middle of the coilover (up top). Be very careful when doing this, if you don't compress the spring you can seriously hurt yourself. After the spring is compressed and the nut is off you can remove the upper mount and replace it.

I'd try hammering it out.. it's pretty much useless the way it is anyway. If you can get it out try to find a replacement.
Old 05-21-2013
Registered!!

I know its not a common problem I just thought that it has to have happened to someone on this forum before so someone may know the best way to go about fixing it. I plan on calling d2 tomorrow to see if they sell a replacement stud. If not do you think it would be a bad idea to just go pick up a grade 8 bolt of the same size and just use that in place of the stud? I would think it would get the job done basically the same way.
Old 05-21-2013
13 Stealth Si

jscheel1 is an unknown quantity at this point

The stud is just pressed in, and is probably a stock automotive size. You would have to press the old one out to replace it with a bolt anyway, so why not just put the right stud back in? You should be able to get what you need at a parts store, and it's a pretty easy fix. After compressing the spring, you should be able to get the top mount off by removing the nut. Put the mount into a vise with a deep socket larger than the stud, and crank it down until the stud pops out. Put the socket on the other side, to press the new stud in.
Old 05-21-2013
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

^hit the nail on the head.

it should be a standard stud that was pressed in. search around and you should be able to replace it.

and just to let you know, D2 is a very very poor choice for coilovers...not to mention getting them used. did you at least get them for dirty cheap (like free)?
Old 05-21-2013
Registered!!

I paid 500 for them. They look like they are in awesome shape other than the stud. The kid said he only had them on his car a few months and I believe him just because I think when he stripped the stud it scared him into selling them. It was either these or racelands so I dont think it was that poor of a choice. All im really looking for is low. I have other projects so putting a bunch of money into this car is not very high on my priority list.

Anyway back on topic, I emailed d2 and am waiting to hear from them. If they dont sell the stud do you guys think its something I could pick up from honda to fit a stock strut? I could probably just take the stud to a fastenal or something after i press it out to see if they have a match for it as well. My last resort would be to just throw a regular bolt in there but I dont think it will come to that. Thanks for the help though you guys have been awesome.
Old 05-21-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

You could try a die, but that thing looks pretty far gone. I don't know where you would source a replacement for that.
Old 05-22-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

the K-sport mounts would probably work since there identical coilovers.
http://ksportusa.com/products/pillow...rd-pillowball/
Old 05-23-2013
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

^ Those awesome D2 coilovers deserve OEM mounts though
Old 05-23-2013
Registered!!

Just got off the phone with d2. The stud was $12 shipped and should get here in a day or 2 so im in the clear as long as I can get the old stud out. Hopefully I can just throw it in a vice and hammer it out but we will see. Thanks again for all your help everybody
Old 05-23-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by jscheel1
Put the mount into a vise with a deep socket larger than the stud, and crank it down until the stud pops out. Put the socket on the other side, to press the new stud in.
Im sorry but im not quite sure what this means... A deep socket longer than the stud? And crank down on what? I was just planning on slamming on it with a hammer like a wheel stud.
Old 05-23-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Since it's a tapered stud. It might be a good idea to put a nut on it before you start smashing.
Old 05-23-2013
13 Stealth Si

jscheel1 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's easier and less chance of damaging the anodizing, if you press it out, and the new one back in. You could do it with an arbor press too if you have access to one. If you take a large diameter deep well socket (larger than the diameter of the stud base) and put it in a vise on the side the stud was pressed in from, then just crank it tight on the end of the stud till it pops out. Installing is the same, only the socket is on the threaded side.
Old 05-23-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by jscheel1
It's easier and less chance of damaging the anodizing, if you press it out, and the new one back in. You could do it with an arbor press too if you have access to one. If you take a large diameter deep well socket (larger than the diameter of the stud base) and put it in a vise on the side the stud was pressed in from, then just crank it tight on the end of the stud till it pops out. Installing is the same, only the socket is on the threaded side.
Ahhh ok I see what your talking about now. Thanks for the explanation Ill definitely give that a shot.