Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Polyurathane in EXTREME cold?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Largen is an unknown quantity at this point
Polyurathane in EXTREME cold?

Anyone have any experiance with Polyurathane Bushings in extreme cold? I live in what can be considered "Northern Canada" and we get to temperatures Below -35C and hover around -20C alot over the winter, now i hope not to be running the car next winter (Depends on if i can get my jeep winter ready or not) but if i am, i need to know if the Poly will survive, or even be bearable to drive with, im looking at replacing the Lower Control Arm Bushings....

Thanks for any info!

P.S. yes i have googled, cant find any info ...
Old 10-09-2012
Registered!!

Speed9117 will become famous soon enough
Re: Polyurathane in EXTREME cold?

I think there are plenty of people here that have ES polyurethane bushings that live in rather cold climates with no problems that I know of.

It gets below freezing pretty regularly during the winter where I am at (although not -20/40C) and I have had no problems. They definitely get a little squeaky in the cold, but it's not unbearable by any means.

Maybe another cold weather Canadian can pipe in eh?
Old 10-09-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

they will squeak, but the cold only makes them harder. so if you have LCA bushings you wouldnt notice a thing, but if you have engine mount inserts they may vibrate a bit more due to them working better. ive had them in -20C and no issues i could even tell with ES LCA bushings and rear sway bushings. the most noticable ride quality issues from cold weather will come from the shocks and most importantly the tires.
Old 10-09-2012
Registered!!

The squeeking will annoy the hell out of me but I can live with that ha ha
Thanks for the info! I was worried that they may have been a part that would fail in those temperatures, with them being so stiff in the first place. The cold here can be pretty brutal especially working outside....
Old 10-09-2012
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

its near impossible to destroy poly unless you track the car HARD in the corners. and the squeaks in winter wont be heard unless you are cornering fast or going over bumps or up driveways. during normal driving on smooth road, they will be silent. in summer, they are silent all the time.
Old 10-11-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
its near impossible to destroy poly unless you track the car HARD in the corners. and the squeaks in winter wont be heard unless you are cornering fast or going over bumps or up driveways. during normal driving on smooth road, they will be silent. in summer, they are silent all the time.
Smooth roads in winter... That would be a Miracle ha ha ha we have NASTY winters here like really really bad, so they will be squeeking all the time ha ha ha
But I'm glad to hear that they should survive if I get them by next winter, I'm hoping they will smarten up the car in corners a bit more
Old 10-11-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

The squeaking is more pronounced, but not intolerable, like, say, a bad endlink.

Just turn the radio up a bit louder and drown it out lol
Old 10-11-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MindBomber
The squeaking is more pronounced, but not intolerable, like, say, a bad endlink.

Just turn the radio up a bit louder and drown it out lol
That is true... Although when it gets below -25c I get scared to turn it up too much in fear of damaging my sub ha ha ha
Old 10-11-2012
Premium Member

ya i forgot about driving on snow. if its packed where there are a ton of dips and uneven patches, it will squeak non stop.
Old 10-11-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
ya i forgot about driving on snow. if its packed where there are a ton of dips and uneven patches, it will squeak non stop.
I'm doomed!!!!! Ha ha ha